PDA

View Full Version : How much notice does a parent have to give?

tigwig
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I have a parent who handed in her notice the other week. She has 3 weeks left of her notice period which she has paid me for in full. She is no longer working though and has told me via text she no longer needs any care apart from a half day next week. She has not been more specific than that. I realise that she is entitled to bring her son as she has paid but I have visions of her now turning up on the doorstep when I'm on my way out or something and not expecting him! How much notice would you say is reasonable for her to have to give? I dont think there's anything in the contract that states this. If she doesnt contact me the night before and texts with a hour's notice or less to say shes bringing him can I say no?

sarah707
04-03-2013, 07:51 PM
You have to prepare activities, buy resources, plan for the child and organise food. I would expect a weeks' notice at least.

Hope you are holding up ok xx

jo.jo76
04-03-2013, 07:56 PM
What does it say in your contract? I'm sure I have something about 7 days notice for change of hours. I have one parent who has been off work and been letting me know the night before if she needs me, it's been a bit of a pain but thankfully she's back to work now. I suppose you just need to be clear to her that if she needs you she must give you x amount of hours/days notice

cathtee
04-03-2013, 08:09 PM
It would be nice to think that she will give you plenty of notice, perhaps she is waiting to get something comfirmed before letting you know which
day she needs, If it was me I would just say yes if she texts with short notice.

shortstuff
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I would say it is up to you to set the notice period. Just text her back and say no problem but i need x amount of notice to enable LO to be included in anything I am doing.

miffy
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I have a parent who handed in her notice the other week. She has 3 weeks left of her notice period which she has paid me for in full. She is no longer working though and has told me via text she no longer needs any care apart from a half day next week. She has not been more specific than that. I realise that she is entitled to bring her son as she has paid but I have visions of her now turning up on the doorstep when I'm on my way out or something and not expecting him! How much notice would you say is reasonable for her to have to give? I dont think there's anything in the contract that states this. If she doesnt contact me the night before and texts with a hour's notice or less to say shes bringing him can I say no?

If she only wants half a day out of three weeks then I think I would accept that and just ask her to give you 24 hours notice of when the care is required.

Miffy xx

supermumy
04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I'd say to her u need at least 24-48 hrs in advance notice of she wants you to have child for half day

tigwig
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
There is definitely nothing in contract. I am thinking at least 24hrs notice and thats being kind. I'm just struggling to bring myself to reply to her after some of the texts she's sent me this week. The woman is mad! I'm hoping that if I ignore her last text she might not get in touch again but thats probably wishful thinking. Thanks guys :)