PDA

View Full Version : New certificate - removal of conditions

pinkbutterfly
04-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I got my certificate a while ago and thought that nothing changed but I have just been told by a childminder that she dropped her child off at gran's and another one in afterschool club to accommodate more children. Can she do that? I thought our kids are always to be included no matter if they're present or having a tea at friend's or afterschool club. How does it work right now? I'm confused.
Ps I'm in England if that makes any difference.

sarah707
04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
No that's not how the ratios should be used and if Ofsted find out about it she will be in serious trouble :(

There are very few times when you can replace your own child with a childminded child - such as if they are on holiday with another parent and there is no chance of them coming home.

A childminder on here was only recently caught doing this - she hadn't realised it was wrong - and very seriously reprimanded by Ofsted. :(

Rick
04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
No that's not how the ratios should be used and if Ofsted find out about it she will be in serious trouble :(

There are very few times when you can replace your own child with a childminded child - such as if they are on holiday with another parent and there is no chance of them coming home.

A childminder on here was only recently caught doing this - she hadn't realised it was wrong - and very seriously reprimanded by Ofsted. :(

Can I just double check then. When my wife goes on maternity leave can my son and new child be in her care?

sarah707
04-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Can I just double check then. When my wife goes on maternity leave can my son and new child be in her care?

This is the scenario I asked Ofsted to clarify for me -

The childminder has a child / children of their own within their under 8 ratio. Their child / children stay with their father regularly during the working week or might be on holiday for a week. Can the childminder fill their child’s space? Or are the childminder’s own children subject to different rules from childminded children?

This is the reply I received from my contact at Ofsted -

Yes if the childminder can prove that their children will not be returned to them during the time they are in the care of someone else.

This is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject :laughing: :D

Rick
04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
This is the scenario I asked Ofsted to clarify for me -

The childminder has a child / children of their own within their under 8 ratio. Their child / children stay with their father regularly during the working week or might be on holiday for a week. Can the childminder fill their child’s space? Or are the childminder’s own children subject to different rules from childminded children?

This is the reply I received from my contact at Ofsted -

Yes if the childminder can prove that their children will not be returned to them during the time they are in the care of someone else.

This is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject :laughing: :D

Thanks Sarah. I guess there's a grey area if my son is being cared for by my wife but is also downstairs playing with the other children. Technically he is not returned to me during the day but is physically here as my wife lives in my place of work!

I'm unlikely to take on more children than I have now so my son will always be in my numbers. My new child could come under caring for my own baby if necessary but my wife will be in sole charge while I'm working anyway.