PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox Question

melco
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi,

My daughter is 9 and finally got Chicken Pox! I have spoken to all my parents and most of their children have already had it. My worry is that I have a 15month ols 4 days a week, his Mum wants me to still have him as she thinks he is going to get it as he had been around my daughter a lot but him having to stay in the house all day for the next few days i making me feel sorry for him, his Mum has also asked if I can have him if he gets it. I have said yes as he will only be in contact with children who have already had it but again I will not be able to take him anywhere. If the parents are happy with this is it ok? I have said if he is unwell with it I will not take him as if he can not join in he should be at home. What does anyone else think?

Thanks

melco

jo.jo76
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi,

My daughter is 9 and finally got Chicken Pox! I have spoken to all my parents and most of their children have already had it. My worry is that I have a 15month ols 4 days a week, his Mum wants me to still have him as she thinks he is going to get it as he had been around my daughter a lot but him having to stay in the house all day for the next few days i making me feel sorry for him, his Mum has also asked if I can have him if he gets it. I have said yes as he will only be in contact with children who have already had it but again I will not be able to take him anywhere. If the parents are happy with this is it ok? I have said if he is unwell with it I will not take him as if he can not join in he should be at home. What does anyone else think?

Thanks

melco

I personally wouldn't have him if he does get it, as they can be pretty poorly for the first few days and as you say you won't be able to go anywhere and that's not fair on any others you look after.

Koala
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Well it all sounds very amicable to me.

BUT

Are you sticking to your sickness policy?

Are you willing to accept the repercussions if others get it (can be got twice apparently), what if another child got it and the parent blamed you and expected you to look after them.

And if the little one gets it BAD and has side affects, how would you feel then? Parents soon point fingers when things don't go their way.

If you don't stick to your sickness policy, It's a bit like a can of worms, The policy is there to protect you as much as the sick child.

Good luck, I know you are doing the best you can for all concerned, but I would have to close for the period my child is considered contagious to safeguard everyone. And I would not look after a child who has a communicable disease it isn't good for either parties, in my belief.

mummyMia
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
If the parents are all happy with this arrangement then I probably wouldn't close and would do as you planned. I always try to stay open if at all possible, because I know of parents who have moved their children from childminders to nurseries due to the childminders being closed for illness too often. But, I also think there is a danger that you are going to set a precedent and they may expect you to look after ill children in the future. I would probably tell the parents of the 15 month old that if he catches the chickenpox he will need to stay at home for the first couple of days when he is at his worst. :)

dette
04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
you'll probably find that LO will be most ill before the spots are out so treat every day as it comes.would you normaly mind a LO with a high temp ?? if no then dont take LO if this happens.LO may be fine but it very hard to predict how it will go.Tell parents that as all the other children have had chicken pox its not the spread of infection that worries you ,its if LO can manage school runs etc.if LO not upto getting out and about then will have to stay at home with parents for those couple of days

Cottonsocks
04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
We've had a Chickenpox house twice since I've been minding. Rule is, if everyone wants their child to have it the Chicken can return, but if one parent doesn't want their child exposed the Chicken must stay away - the first time it happened I had 11 of them here with Chickenpox (including my own 2), 2nd time there were only 4. Madness, but it's worked well. My husband (Childminder too) has never had it though, hoping he's got an immunity!

melco
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

I have a 5yr old who also comes her for just 30mins in the morning and his parents have said they are happy for him to come too but my daughter is not in contact with him while she has it as my Mum is looking after her while I am on the school run.

The other parent with the 15 month old is still sending him tomorrow but I have told her my daughter is not 100% and wants me for cuddles so will not be able to keep her little one away from her which she is fine with. I have also told her that I will have him if he gets it but if he is unwell with it I won't as he needs to be with his Mummy.

jackie 7
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
i would do it if all parents agreed but as the others say not if they are sick with it. just for the record i have had it 3 times and the last time was horrible. i was so sick and had to pretend i was fine as i was nannying and the parents said to pretend to the person i was not really sick. i had it in my hair.. horrible!

nikkiv
05-03-2013, 12:04 AM
I personally have had chicken pox three times :( once very very bad was very poorly hundreds of spots, the second time a few spots was quite poorly the third was fine just a few spots and a bit coldy even the drs got several drs to get different opinions!!!

Also it can be passed to adults as shingles not sure if parents would want that :(

Cottonsocks
05-03-2013, 06:40 AM
You can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles but you can't catch shingles from someone with chickenpox. It's a myth.

dette
05-03-2013, 08:25 AM
You can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles but you can't catch shingles from someone with chickenpox. It's a myth.

very true DD had shingles when she was 3 (has aspergers and just started nursery )..and i wouldnt like to count how many times an adult told me to keep her away as they dont want to catch shingles..
its the same virus but you basicly give yourself shingles.either through stress or being run down but once you have it you can give someone else chickenpox.