PDA

View Full Version : Triple buggy / pushchair

SammySplodger
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I need some good honest advice on the best triple buggy / pushchair to buy. Have spent last evening researching online and I THINK I need an ABC Adventure Everest, but I wondered if anyone had any different ideas?

Please bear in mind:
I don't have room on local pavements for triple side by side.
I'd prefer something which fits through most doorways.
I won't be using a car, so fold size is not a vital issue.
Ideally I need all 3 seats to recline and have hoods.
Ability to attach buggyboard would be a welcome bonus.

???????

Koala
04-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Good luck on your search, I couldn't advise you, I stopped using a triple because it was hard work, I felt like a pack horse and in everyones way.

Be careful you don't over load and put your back out especially with a buggy board attached.

I find that larger pushchairs better with one long handle across the back instead of separate ones (one at each side or several across the back like the umbrella folding ones) I tend to twist my back out when using those.

Good luck.

jackie 7
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
i have a t3 from lots of babies. i love it but front seat doesnt recline so i put older one in it. keep tyres pumped up and balance the weight of the kids.

vickie-marieo
04-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I have an ABC and love it - it's the single and then the double attachment facing you. I find it easy to push if wheels are pumped up and maintained, easy to steer. it's flexible as I also have the single attachement so able to make a double I..e one facing out and one facing me. the only criticism I've found with the double attachment is the distance I can see over it. don't believe a buggy board would fit on it due to the break. It also fits though the average doorway which is a huge bonus as I have a double side by side that doesn't! I've used it on the school run and play groups - haven't tried refolding it since buying it so couldn't comment on easiness of folding and what type of car it would fit.
hope that helps.

Carol
04-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I have a tandem pushchair which I attach a buggy pod onto the side. It doesn't recline but is far easier to push and I love mine

Carol

SammySplodger
04-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Carol - what sort of tandem do you have? Ta

Carol
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Carol - what sort of tandem do you have? Ta

I have a mother are one at the moment which I love but Graco are good too x

zippy
08-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I've had an abc triple, it was the single, with single seat on top and then single seat up front was good if a bit heavy up front when third seat on, if buying again I would either get single with double reclining on top or double with double reclining on top to make a quad.

Boris
08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a T3. As a previous poster said the front seat doesn't recline but I have put a pillow behind the child's head (you need to have the hood attached) and it has been fine if they fall asleep. I love my T3, it's easy to push, super comfy for the little ones and no wider than a normal double buggy.

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for feedback so far...

I have since discovered that my front door is non-standard, ie: narrow Victorian cottage :-/ and none of the side by side buggies on the market will fit through. Doorframe to doorframe is 73cm, which also doesn't allow for the weather board on the front door (which catches on the back wheels). I got a local builder/handyman to come round to quote for a new slightly wider door frame and door and it will be £1,500-2,000 :-(

So, back to the drawing board! Here is the 'conundrum':

I currently have an 8 month old and a 13 month old and I have now been asked to look after another 13 month old. I cannot work out how to transport all 3 in comfort. I currently have a double Mountain Buggy, which I have to fold to get through front door and unfold on pavement outside (a faff!) and a P&T E3, which is very uncomfortable for the 8 month old sitting in the bottom seat. So I'm not happy with either buggy.

Maybe a tandem and a buggy pod? Would that work?

????? Very confused about what to get - advice please!
:-)

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Sorry - forgot to add:

Can see that an ABC combo would work, but they are really expensive! Can't see any singles with extra seats on eBay either...

dette
08-03-2013, 08:10 PM
how many days a week willyou have all three ? if its not every day could you wear a backpack and push a tandem ?

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I thought of that, but don't want to risk doing my back in. Not clear on days yet, at least one with all three, possibly three.

sbranch
08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I have had an ABC double with a single reclining toddler seat for 3 years. It is by far and away the best buggy I have ever used. I have had a variety of buggies over the years and this is definitely a work horse.

Carol
08-03-2013, 09:41 PM
You would struggle to get in some shops and places with a side by side double buggy.
I have put my minder 13 month old in buggy pod and he is fine in there. If he falls asleep in it I transfer him into single pushchair when I get back. ( I use a mothercare tandem should of read).
Good luck

Carol

SammySplodger
08-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Carol:

Can 13 month old fall asleep ok in pod then? If I get one, I will also get the hood/raincover as well. Does it go through the door ok when folded up on the side of a tandem?

Am thinking this is prob my best & cheapest option.

jadavi
08-03-2013, 11:09 PM
A pod is upright so not able to fall asleep
I'd say as a 90% angle. Also no head rest on it.

jackie 7
08-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Do you have space at the front for a bike shed? I used to put my t3 into a store box with 2 doors and s lifting lid. Fit in great.

SammySplodger
09-03-2013, 08:02 AM
jackie 7 - no I'm terraced, front door opens directly onto pavement unfortunately.

MessybutHappy
09-03-2013, 08:38 AM
I saw a double being used as a triple the other day, the back seat was flat with two children sitting in it...

MessybutHappy
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Not saying I agree with this by the way!

lisbet
09-03-2013, 09:07 AM
There are some good carriers out there that are comfy for bigger babies and toddlers. I've tried a few with my daughter and my favourite was the 'Babyhawk Oh Snap'. The toddler Patapum (not very big so fine for babies too) was also really comfy and a good price. I honestly don't think it would be any harder on your back than a triple. :)

Bella
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
What you need is the Runabout Triple Stroller - Berg Designwww.bergdesign.net/triple.htm Amazing buggy got to be the best as long as you dont need to put it in your car.

mammumof4
12-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I've just fixed my buggypod to my tandem. ( Cosatto duet lite) will let you know how I get on!
I've had it 2 years and always been a bit scared to use it as some of the reviews arnt good but it seems sturdy enough to me so we will see :)

SammySplodger
13-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Bella: Runabout looks good, but I have no storage for it! It's massive! My buggies have to be stored in my living room (no hallway, front door straight into living room). Terraced cottage, no garage, no front garden...
It's a bit of a puzzle!
Anyway: I have just won (eBay) a Jane Powertwin and am bidding on buggypods. Hoping that combo will do the job, but slightly concerned about how the buggypod will work out.
So I'd be interested to know if anyone else has the same combo.

mammumof4
15-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm back to update you on my buggy pod and tandem. I think the pod is going in the bin! :(
I don't trust it! It folds too easily on its own and everything about it looks dangerous to me.

I'm back to the drawing board now, I have my own almost 2 year old who isn't a confident walker. A 15 month old ( also very wobbly still) and I've been asked to look after a 10 month old.
I have my tandem, but need one extra seat. Can't afford a triple but have a one hour round trip school run twice a day. Please let me know if you come up with a cheap solution. I'm looking into "kid sit" and other sit on buggy boards now.

dette
16-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm back to update you on my buggy pod and tandem. I think the pod is going in the bin! :(
I don't trust it! It folds too easily on its own and everything about it looks dangerous to me.

I'm back to the drawing board now, I have my own almost 2 year old who isn't a confident walker. A 15 month old ( also very wobbly still) and I've been asked to look after a 10 month old.
I have my tandem, but need one extra seat. Can't afford a triple but have a one hour round trip school run twice a day. Please let me know if you come up with a cheap solution. I'm looking into "kid sit" and other sit on buggy boards now.

ive just took delivery of my joovy big caboose.got it off ebay,from a pram shop,but its available on amazon.not used it yet as it came last night but its a double tandem with a built in seat and buggyboard for a third child.its very long .mine was 250 but theyre on amazon for 332.ive another thread with a link on to it .x sounds just what you're looking for

mammumof4
16-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Thank you dette. Let me know how you get on with it, looks fab!! Although slightly out of my price range.
I'm looking for a buggy board seat, that has a strap for safety and is padded, instead of hard plastic :/ don't think it exists does it? Lol
It's such a shame about the buggy pod, it's a great idea but just doesn't work for me :(

SammySplodger
16-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Uh oh! Buggypod purchased and on it's way... Collecting Powertwin on Sunday. Will let you know how I get on, maybe I should test it with a big doll and some bags of sugar first?!!!
Thing is: for every bad report there is a good one, so very hard to know what to do...

I was also eyeing up the BigCaboose, but it looks like it could be heavy/awkward to push round corners. Also, I wasn't sure about the back seat: can you get a proper seat with a back rest to fit on the bench part?

dette
16-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Uh oh! Buggypod purchased and on it's way... Collecting Powertwin on Sunday. Will let you know how I get on, maybe I should test it with a big doll and some bags of sugar first?!!!
Thing is: for every bad report there is a good one, so very hard to know what to do...

I was also eyeing up the BigCaboose, but it looks like it could be heavy/awkward to push round corners. Also, I wasn't sure about the back seat: can you get a proper seat with a back rest to fit on the bench part?

ive seen an additional seat,costs £100 but not sure if its just for the double and not the triple,i think i might need to phone joovy if i find i need one.it looks like the harness on the rear toddler bench seat might be in the way of the third seat .Ive pushed it around the house with my 4 yr old in the front and an empty car seat in the middle ,and it steers no worse than a regular tandem.Ive lifted the front wheels off the floor ok .using the back bar for leverage with my right foot so im sure i can mount curbs ,if i can see them LOL as im only 5ft 2 and its quite tall.
back seat looks ok .I had a very similar pram for my own two youngest and never found it a problem,my toddler could even rest his head inside the hood and go to sleep ..I'll post when i've given it a proper test drive :)

mammumof4
16-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Sammy, have you ordered the buggypod smorf or the new io? Maybe the latest one is better, and maybe mine was faulty. Please come back and let us know how your getting on with it :)

Memina
16-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Just wondering if any of the the tripples fit in the boot of your car. I have a grand senic.

SammySplodger
16-03-2013, 11:37 PM
It's a Smorph, second hand off eBay, so not a huge outlay (£45). Might try the IO next if unimpressed. Really hope it works, as such a good solution 'on paper' for my home / situation.

It now looks like I'll need to transport three at once only twice a week, so I don't really want the 'bulk' of a triple all the time. Also, at some point in the future the oldest will be big enough to use a buggy board instead.

Will update at some point soon, but I will be testing it out with a bag in the buggypod the approx weight of a toddler, rather than an actual child, just in case.

SammySplodger
16-03-2013, 11:45 PM
dette - interesting info re: BigCaboose.

I live in a very hilly town with steep cobbled streets on the school run, so kind of need 'off road' wheels and a hand break for downhill, hence the Powertwin. But it remains to be seen how the Buggypod will cope with this... Hmmm...

But I'm still interested in BigCaboose incase I end up with three non walkers every day at some point in the future. Please can you update how it handles bumpy terrain? Thank you :-)

dette
18-03-2013, 08:15 AM
dette - interesting info re: BigCaboose.

I live in a very hilly town with steep cobbled streets on the school run, so kind of need 'off road' wheels and a hand break for downhill, hence the Powertwin. But it remains to be seen how the Buggypod will cope with this... Hmmm...

But I'm still interested in BigCaboose incase I end up with three non walkers every day at some point in the future. Please can you update how it handles bumpy terrain? Thank you :-)

will do ..tryin it today but in town ..might go "OFF ROAD" tomorrow

dette
18-03-2013, 06:17 PM
just posted a new thread with my joovy review on if anyone interested xxxx