PDA

View Full Version : BBC report about ratios - asking for comments - add yours!

lisbet
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
It's focusing on nurseries, but we can add comments about the damaging effects of agencies too and try and get the message out to a few more parents etc :thumbsup:

BBC News - Childcare ratios 'could hit nurseries in poor areas' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21628232)

hectors house
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank you - have replied

mummyMia
04-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks, I will have a look. :)

loocyloo
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
will reply in a moment :D thank you

jo.jo76
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I've just seen this too and left a rather long comment, I mentioned ratios but also the agencies, I know they hadn't mentioned them but no harm in trying! :laughing:

sarah707
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
My reply... :D

I am a childminder who believes strongly that changing ratios will adversely affect outcomes for children, health and safety - and childminder sustainability. There aren't enough children to go round at the moment - and if nurseries are allowed more children per adult it will only become more difficult to fill empty spaces for all early years providers.

We will end up with a 2 tier system exactly as described in your article where rich parents will be able to afford to pay for a place for their child in a nursery or with a childminder with low ratios - while poorer parents will be left with little alternative but to send their child to a nursery where child safety, health and education is being compromised because the management are looking to make a higher profit.

What about the poor staff looking after 6 children aged 2 - 3? They will be under enormous pressure every day simply changing nappies or potty training and meeting sleep and behaviour needs before they start thinking about planning activities to support children's learning and development.

They won't even be fully qualified teachers either despite the new qualification - Julian Grenier's blog explains it far better than I can - Inside the secret garden: When is a teacher not a teacher? (http://juliangrenier.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/when-is-teacher-not-teacher.html).

Childminders are very unhappy about the ratios issue - and over 60,000 signatories on various petitions should be telling the government something! I wrote the petition here - www.keepratiosdown.co.uk - where you can read some of our main concerns.

While we are on the subject of the 'More Great Childcare' plan - childminders do not want agencies thrust upon us either! Hundreds of childminders have contributed to my document which is posted here - www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/mgc and which has been sent to Government.

Thank you for giving us a voice.