PDA

View Full Version : EYFS training

Mrs M
29-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi, I had my EYFS training day yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great group of people and we all had plenty to say and all got along well. With regards to the EYFS, it's certainly not as daunting as I'd originally thought. It's a case of observing (which we all do anyway), recording your observations using photographs and post it notes and linking it back to the six areas of learning and development. I found out that I'm already doing most things that are required and probably most childminders are. It's very interesting and of course there's more to it than I've mentioned above but it's not at all scary. If my child was going to a childminder, I'd be happy that he/she was following the EYFS. It was also mentioned that the child's day should be at least 80% child initiated. It's harder with the little ones but it's a case of having as many resources available and in reach to the child and letting them make choices.
Regarding planning, that's also not as bad as we all thought it would be. We are expected to do short term and long term planning. It's a case of using the observations you've made of each child and planning how to help the child progress in certain areas etc. We don't have to do themes but I still love them and so do the children.
I am an organiser and I thrive on being busy. The paperwork is hard but I still feel I can provide the children in my care with tonnes and tonnes of play time. And I get to play too!!!!!!!

Ripeberry
29-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi, just got my EYFS book and at the moment i'm still doing the ICP course.
I'm thinking of registering from September onwards as i'm still sorting out the garden and fencing off the pond.
This EYFS is much better i think, but then i don't know about the previous standards.
My hubby is going to have to show me how to use his digital camera and how to print out photos!:o

Mollymop
29-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Emma, that is very helpful and easy to understand.
It does sound like what we already do at the moment so hopefully not too much change.
I have done my EYFS training and I went away from having not learnt anything to be honest!

Mrs M
29-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh that's a shame Sandra. I was lucky to have a really good tutor and a great group of childminders who all challenged the tutor (which she enjoyed). We all kept going off at tangents which helped us all a lot. We talked so much so I'm sorry your course wasn't as helpful as mine. I know it's difficult, but the more reading we do about it the better off we'll be. It's just finding the time!

miffy
29-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Emma for sharing that - you made it sound really straight forward.

Maybe I'll get my head out of the sand after all:rolleyes:

Bromley website now has a countdown to the EYFS - x days to go :eek:

miffy xx

Mrs M
29-06-2008, 11:35 AM
The thread that Angel has put on regarding the EYFS guide is really helpful so I'll be using that to help educate my parents! I've just written them all a letter regarding the training I've had and asked them to work with me. Part of the EYFS is to communicate with other early years settings that your children are attending during the week i.e. nursery, pre-school to ensure continuity of care. Therefore, I'm giving the parents an "All about me" form which will used to share information. We were told about this on the course yesterday and it's really helpful and an easy way in which to do it.

miffy
29-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Not sure what you mean by an "All about me" form to share with other settings - could you share it with us? :)

miffy xx

Mrs M
29-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes of course, sorry! It's a form that the parents need to fill in about their child. Likes, dislikes, development etc. This can then be updated by the childminder and other early years settings. The EYFS basically requires us to communicate with other settings and our tutor said we shouldn't think of this as another pain in the backside type of activity and to make it as easy as possible. Therefore, leave the form in the child's bag, let the other setting read and update and then we're all singing off the same hymn sheet as it were.

breezy
29-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Emma, that is very helpful and easy to understand.
It does sound like what we already do at the moment so hopefully not too much change.
I have done my EYFS training and I went away from having not learnt anything to be honest!

you must have had the same tutor as me :laughing:

donnahay0
29-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Our EYFS training has been split into 4 evenings. I too have to day that I found the first two very unhelpful - was a complete waste of my time to be honest and I left feeling quite disappointed as I am actually finding the whole EYFS a very positive move forward.

I won't hold my breath but maybe the next two evenings might be better.

foxy lady
29-06-2008, 09:24 PM
i have got my eyfs training
going with a childminder friend of mine so not too bad
hope it is better than the birth to three training i went on cam eout more confused than when i went in ha ha

custardcream
30-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi, I had my last eyfs training on saturday and feel that it was a total waste of time.
It was a text book session where the tutor literally read out from the eyfs pack (I had done this at home) so I have learnt nothing new.

The tutor has also really confused me (it doesnt take much).
All day she kept going on and on about how we had to have long, medium and individual short term plans.We then had to do an exercise and write a weekly plan which was pretty easy even for me, but when i asked where this fitted in as it wasnt a medium plan nor long term plan but it was a short term plan but NOT for the individual child she couldnt really answer me, she just said that our planning didnt need to be too complicated and to keep it simple.
I am so confused and fed up giving up 2 saturdays and not learning anything that i didnt already know.
Sorry for ranting.

Mrs M
30-06-2008, 09:09 AM
My tutor told us that medium plans are not necessary with EYFS. It's just long term and short term. However, as plans change on a daily basis anyway, the short term planning is a bit hit and miss really. Plus the fact that with EYFS each day needs to be at least 80% child initiated! So, we can make a plan but the children may want to do something completely different.
Sorry your training wasn't good custardcream. I do think it's a case of working through the book and CD Rom and working with other childminders to completely understand it all.