PDA

View Full Version : Measles! What should I do?

KatyDix
03-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi
I have just been informed that one of my mindees has measles.
There is a chance my lo has been exposed to it, I looked after mindee with measles on Wednesday and the rash came out on Friday so i think she would have been contagious on Wednesday. Both my lo and mindee have only had the first mmr, not the preschool booster.
What should I do?
Should I shut, just in case my little one has caught it? Or am I ok to look after other mindees?
Do I need to inform ofsted?
Thanks

cathtee
03-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I would say that as your lo has not got the measles then you are ok to open, lo may not get it and then you would have closed for
nothing, I would advise other parents that mindee has got measles and that they were with you earlier in the week but I wouldn't close
on the chance that your lo may come down with it.

Koala
03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, I agree with Cathtee.

There is no need to close if your little hasn't got it, even though there has been exposure. I would let other parents know that someone has measles as pregnant ladies can be affected badly, but check with the parents first because the other parents will automatically ask who it is and you don't want to be breaking confidentiality.

Poor you, I am sure you are very worried about your little one, I am not sure of the current advice about measles so I would possibly give your health visitor or doctor a ring just to check out their current procedure and what to look out for and treatment.

Take care and good luck.

FussyElmo
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I think measles is still a notifable disease so yes you need to inform ofsted probably the HPA however the doctor sho made the dianogsis should have done that :thumbsup:

KatyDix
03-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your advice!
I will call ofsted tomorrow to notify. HPA already know about it and have spoken to my other mindees parents and agreed that unless my lo shows any symptoms we will carry on as normal. Obviously, the mindee that has measles will stay off until better.

*daisychain*
03-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Sorry to take over your post but do we need to notify ofsted for mumps ? It's going around one of the schools I pick up from so it would be useful to know in advance . Thanks :)

FussyElmo
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Sorry to take over your post but do we need to notify ofsted for mumps ? It's going around one of the schools I pick up from so it would be useful to know in advance . Thanks :)

Yes found this

HPA - General Information on Mumps (http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733851374)

Think its so they can see where people are not taking up the MMR vaccination too :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
This is the list of notifiable diseases
HPA - List of notifiable diseases (http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/)

hectors house
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I think measles is still a notifable disease so yes you need to inform ofsted probably the HPA however the doctor sho made the dianogsis should have done that :thumbsup:

I don't see why you have to notify Ofsted - they don't do anything or offer any useful advice - over the years I have notified that about a case of suspected mumps and also scarlet fever - in both cases they just send back routine letter "thank you for notifying us bla bla bla" when I rang them about the child with mumps to ask about exclusions and who else I should notify and was I allowed to inform the other parents or was that against confidentiality - they just referred me to NHS direct!:mad:

FussyElmo
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't see why you have to notify Ofsted - they don't do anything or offer any useful advice - over the years I have notified that about a case of suspected mumps and also scarlet fever - in both cases they just send back routine letter "thank you for notifying us bla bla bla" when I rang them about the child with mumps to ask about exclusions and who else I should notify and was I allowed to inform the other parents or was that against confidentiality - they just referred me to NHS direct!:mad:

Now theres your mistake expecting ofsted to give useful advice :laughing::laughing::laughing: