PDA

View Full Version : Newsletters...who does them??

Rick
02-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Right then......who out there does monthly (or whatever) newsletters? And what do you put in them? I've read many times people saying they do them but I've never felt the need to myself. I'm wondering if i should be. I get on well with my 3 parents, they pay on time and pick up and drop off on time, I have no gripes with any of them (a miracle I know!). Anything to do with the children is in their diary or learning journal and shared with the parents. As is planning outlining what outings etc I plan to do. Any important information, for example, a change to my emergency contact was done via a normal letter.

I just feel a newsletter is overkill (and the parents are all very busy so probably wouldn't read it anyway!) :laughing:

VeggieSausage
02-03-2013, 09:00 PM
i do them....i include holiday dates that I have booked off, plans for the next quarter, welcome to anyone new, if its winter a reminder can everyone bring wellies etc ....that sort of stuff....

Minstrel
02-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes I do one each Sunday with the upcoming weeks menu, reminders about school/pre school, my requests, holiday dates, any other information. Its done in email form and sometimes they are very short and sometimes they can be quite long.

winstonian
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I do them too. Holiday dates, new starters and leavers, any vacancies, topics, requests for Tesco/Sainsburys vouchers, reminders about correct clothes and no shoes in the living room etc
I have got 15 sets of parents, some of whom I hardly see and its a handy way to tell them all something at the same time.

cathtee
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Rick I've been minding for 22 years and only last year did I feel the need to do one, I did it in September just to tell parents that I would be
leaving home 5 mins earlier than normal as had a younger one walking and that i was thinking of stopping the evening meal in favour of a snack,
I then did another one for the winter regarding spare clothes as some never send any and permission slip for playing in snow and giving my
holidays, I think I will send one for the spring term and summer one and keep to just 4 a year with updates to routines rather than what
I have planned.

I have one gripe that needs addressing and will put in newsletter and that is about removing shoes if they wish to come in, I have a sign
asking for shoes to be taken off which one parent doesn't think applies to her and It will go politely to all parents so not to single her out.

jackie 7
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Oh so glad I am not the only one. I did do it once but they just ignored what I said. Holiday dates go into the daily diary. That way they can't say they lost them. If I am due an inspection I might do one.

Rick
02-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for those replies. I think if I did a newsletter, then holiday dates and new starters and leavers would be the only thing I would put in. In that case I can just write it in their diaries. As I say, I only have 3 parents and I get on with them all. Because all the children are here at least 2 days a week, they all get detailed diaries and learning journals so I have somewhere to jots things down. I only do one school run, once a week for a child who also comes two full days anyway, so everyone gets a diary. One of the parents regularly writes new routines in the diary as a response. If I had 15 parents I would definitely consider doing newsletters to save writing things 15 times!

vals
02-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I do about three a year. They always include my holiday dates, though I also do a short slip with bills to remind them of holiday dates coming up. I seem to have a particularily unorganised group of parents at the moment that need reminding of everything several times.

Rick
02-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I do about three a year. They always include my holiday dates, though I also do a short slip with bills to remind them of holiday dates coming up. I seem to have a particularily unorganised group of parents at the moment that need reminding of everything several times.

I guess I could do infrequent ones. Three a year is manageable! Writing something important in the diary might get missed alongside usual stuff like number of poos :laughing:

MessybutHappy
02-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I have info slips rather than newsletters. A newsletter feels like it should be a4 size, too much space to fill!

mazza58
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I dont do them but I put all my things that I want to tell parents in the daily diary that i send home every day and when we talk at pick up time.

KatieFS
02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
I only do them occasionally, usually just before a holiday period. Generally do them when the need arises, about 3 a year. Ive used it to tell them about my qualification (doing level 3) Nice to keep in touch with parents, give any updates and reminders.. I know childminders who do and those who don't. It's a personal choice!

nikkiv
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
I do them quarterly! Things we've done things we're going to do, things that we plan to take part in, changes from Ofsted or locally, holiday dates, updates I have one, reminder of warm clothes sun cream etc reminding about traveling ted and m last section on the scrounge ;) egg boxes, toilet roll middles etc etc :)

jo.jo76
02-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I do them quarterly! Things we've done things we're going to do, things that we plan to take part in, changes from Ofsted or locally, holiday dates, updates I have one, reminder of warm clothes sun cream etc reminding about traveling ted and m last section on the scrounge ;) egg boxes, toilet roll middles etc etc :)

Sounds similar to what I do, also ideas for learning at home. I email them out to parents and print one for my file

Tazmin68
03-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Hi
I do them quarterly mention things like collecting vouchrrs, holiday dates, what training I have done, gentle reminder about paying on time etc.
Deb

nikkiv
03-03-2013, 08:01 AM
I always get positive feedback from them most parents have mentioned them in my questionnaire saying how useful they are :)

AgentTink
03-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Like you Rick I have 2 families who I see everyday, and have lots of chats at pick ups. One is my neighbour another a good friend, so I have no need for a formal newsletter. For contact I use daily diaries and a private facebook page which only has the parents on. On facebook I put messages about holidays, things I'm looking for, my planning ideas for the next month or so, next step ideas attached to photographs of their child doing something etc. So for me a newsletter would just be duplication.

lilliuspillius
03-03-2013, 09:37 AM
i do one monthly and the parents love to read it, often grandparents get shown the newsletters as well. They all comment on it, and have said how much they enoy receiving them

Little Puddings
03-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I do one too, usually termly telling parents what we have been up to, what we have planned gor the next term. Holiday dates and any other information that I want parents to know about. I also pictures of our display and the children.

S

loocyloo
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I do one too, usually termly telling parents what we have been up to, what we have planned gor the next term. Holiday dates and any other information that I want parents to know about. I also pictures of our display and the children.

S

same here, i also put any up coming birthdays and hellos to new children and bye to old children.

i put details of any training i am doing/goingto do.

and usually a reminder about wellies etc!

my parents all seem to like them.

Little Puddings
03-03-2013, 12:35 PM
same here, i also put any up coming birthdays and hellos to new children and bye to old children.

i put details of any training i am doing/goingto do.

and usually a reminder about wellies etc!

my parents all seem to like them.

I do birthdays, welcome new children saying goodbye to old etc :)

LauraS
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't, but then my numbers are small. No schoolies, just my little crew of preschoolers, and we talk plenty on drop off and collection. There is nothing left to say in a newsletter!

Rick
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't, but then my numbers are small. No schoolies, just my little crew of preschoolers, and we talk plenty on drop off and collection. There is nothing left to say in a newsletter!

Yes I'm the same, few parents and all the children have diaries. Famous last words but I'm not anticipating any leavers to report either. Only one school trip a week, which has turned out to be beneficial as I can speak to his teacher. I'm thinking an infrequent newsletter may be a good middle ground, otherwise something written in the diary may be missed.

Wheelybug
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
I do them very occassionally if I have several things I need to tell parents. Can't remember the last time I did one it was that long ago! I tend to write in e-diaries, tell parents face to face or will sometimes do letter with reply slips if I need to keep proof I have shared something with parents. I wouldn't have anything to write in one every month.

*daisychain*
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
I try to do one every three/four months, sometimes I struggle to think
Of what to put in there though. My parents do read them though so I will continue.

migimoo
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM
I do them monthly atm but am going to change to quarterly as I find I'm struggling to find things to put in them some months:blush:

As others have said i put:
What we've been doing and how activities went
What our upcoming plans/activities/celebrations are
Reminders of holidays,paying on time,requests for clothing/suncream,etc

RuthJ
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I do them monthly atm but am going to change to quarterly as I find I'm struggling to find things to put in them some months:blush:

As others have said i put:
What we've been doing and how activities went
What our upcoming plans/activities/celebrations are
Reminders of holidays,paying on time,requests for clothing/suncream,etc

I include the above, plus lots of pics. I do them termly: spring, summer, autumn, winter. I find it helps to remind parents how busy we've been and they always comment on how much they appreciate receiving them.

Rick
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I had an hour or so this evening so I have done one and will see what response I get! I quite enjoyed doing it and I easily filled a side of A4 but I think I will do it fairly infrequently.

nikkiv
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I've found the quarterly ones alot better started doing them monthly and struggled even every other month at times was a bit much, the three monthly is perfect and usually fill 4 sides so my parents say its their tea break sorted :)