PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your children you mind swimming

Kevin1964
02-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I live 5 minutes from our local pool just wondering if anyone take there children they care for swimming at there local pool :)

chezzagriff
02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I wouldnt be allowed as in all of the Liverpool swimming baths children under 8 have to be one to one. I dont think I would though if I could.

jo.jo76
02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
It would depend on how many children you have, most pools require a ratio of 1:1 with children under 4 and non swimmers. You could take them to any classes they run maybe

Nicola Carlyle
02-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I have thought about it. Our pool says you can't have more than two under 5's to 1 adult which is fair enough but I think at the moment I wouldn't be happy until the mindees were 3 or 4 as I just couldn't support them in the pool on my one (their feet would not be able to touch the bottom. Also our changing rooms are communal so having them running round as I'm trying to get changed while running after them in my towel doesn't appeal lol. As i said I think I would probably do it when they were older lol.

I do think its a great idea though if you are able to.

pinky33
02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
All our swimming pools are one to one also so am not able to: (

blue bear
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I have when I've been low on numbers, here it's 1 adult to two under 8's. I love swimming, was a life guard and a swimming teacher in my younger days so am confident with it all. The children love being taken swimming, often parents struggle to fit it in especially when working full time.

greanan
02-03-2013, 05:34 PM
My local pool has a one to one ratio but I take mindees as often as possible! Two little ones who are now nearly 3 have been going to pool with me since they were 5months old, I was the first person to take them. No other minders in the town use the pool but both me and the children really enjoy it. I would def take them if I was you x

FizzWizz
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes I do now that I have two out of nappys on some mornings. They love it and always sleep well afterwards! :-)

primula
02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
No! it is one of my pet hates a swimming pool full of kids, all splashing about, probably get shot down :blush:

ruby
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
we do but there are 2 of us but try to go when my other daughter is around as it gives us an extra adult
its one to one under 4 or 2 between 4-8
hoping to go more often when my 3-4 start nursery after easter

cathy

cathy

Chatterbox Childcare
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes I have done and would do again

Risk Assess - are you a strong swimmer, could you help a child if in trouble whilst safeguarding the others, is there a lifeguard etc...

jashol
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I have mine love it great exercise too

Mummits
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I have in the past and have taught several of my mindees to swim. At the moment I have three most mornings, and at least one needing a sleep after lunch, so I can't fit it in.

Becci26
02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, I love taking them but only go if I have 1 or 2 under 5's.

winstonian
02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
We have, its an occasional treat when some are off. We have taken 4 under 3s between 2 adults. I must admit that swimming isnt my favourite passtime but they littlies love itso much its been worth it.

green4lynn
02-03-2013, 09:34 PM
I love taking my mindees swimming but have just had a baby start who has never been and mum won't let me take him :(

We go in the school holidays though as baby is term time only! Its great fun and good exercise.

As long as the parents are happy then go for it!

x

Koala
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't take mindees swimming, but i once took mindees to collect my son from his swimming lesson, and as we were pulling into the car park I said to my other half - not thinking that the mindees could here me or were even interested.
"I hate baths everyone wees in them"
A few days later a parents told me that her daughter was in the bath with dad and promptly stood up and wee'd on him when he protested she said "Michelle says everyone wee's in the bath"
:blush: :blush: Well off course after saying "I never said that" by the end of the day after recollecting I had to admit to a parent that I had sort of said it :blush: :blush: how shown up did I feel, anyway they saw the funny side.

MessybutHappy
02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I'd love to do this, but it would cost more than I'd earn!!!

hectors house
02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Our pool does a lunch time session in the learner pool, I sometimes take a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old - as my daughter is a lifeguard at the pool - I have free membership, so it doesn't cost me anything to take mindees, as no charge for under 5's. Our pool has a 2 children to 1 adult ratio, so I can only take 2 and that is enough as neither of them wear arm bands - pool not very deep they can just touch the bottom.

Zoomie
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
When I had a 4y mindee and 3y DD we used to do it every week.

However, since then, we have only managed to do it periodically and I usually have 3 under fives and the pool ratio is 2:1.

nikki thomson
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Yes, every week in term time, it's one of the reasons lo's mum chose me.
I love taking children swimming have always done it with mindees, 2 under 5 is fine and as we go all the time there very confident, and as others have said they sleep for hrs after. X

Little Puddings
03-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I have too, the gym I used to go to had a pool so it was free for me. I only took one though, as I wasn't sure if I could cope with more than one. The only time I take more was in the holidays when I took my own and a sibling of the little one but she was a good swimmer. The little one I used to take loved it.

S

lilliuspillius
03-03-2013, 09:35 AM
i take two mindees swimming every week - and they love it. Ive been going swimming weekly for about three years now. I purposely only have two one day a week so that i can take them swimming. But i will only take mindees that are confident walkers, and use the sit in swim rings.

jillplum
03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Our pool has a 1 to 1 ratio so I cant take them. I love swimming and would be happy to take one if I could but I always have 2 or more or its nap time or nursery pick up etc.