PDA

View Full Version : Holidays

Smileyface
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi guys just after some advice over holidays...

My policy is if the the family I mind is on holiday i charge half pay. If I'm on holiday there is no charge.
Now the family I mind for have gave me dates of there holiday months ago and now my holiday as come up and is actually the same day just one day as there's do I still charge or not? I've just booked mine.
Thank you

cathtee
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
I would say no charge as you would not be available if they were to want you, I only charge if I were to be there for them to come.

You may get other views and at the end of the day it's your business so it's up to you.

MessybutHappy
01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree with cath, if you aren't available, you shouldn't charge...sorry!

*daisychain*
02-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Agree also, if I'm not available I don't charge

jo.jo76
02-03-2013, 03:47 PM
I would say no charge, if you charge half fee and they change their mind, they might ask if you can still have them

Koala
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I probably wouldn't charge if that is your policy, however,

I charge for parents holidays - in full - I take 4 weeks PA full pay.

Employed people get statutory paid holiday - full pay - therefore I feel my holidays are not extravagant and my parents agree.

I think you are selling yourself short. :littleangel:

AgentTink
02-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I suppose it all depends on each contract and situation.

In your situation i would see it as they booked the time off, and you have been able to use that opportunity to book your own holiday at the same time, so i would still charge the parents. If you look at it another way at least the parents wont have more weeks in the year where you will be off and they have to take time off to look after their children or pay someone else :thumbsup:

Obviously if the parents cancelled their holiday now and asked you to look after the children you would have to say no, and then in that case I would probably revert to my contract of no pay for my holidays to remain amicable.

I have just had the reverse happen to me. I have two and half weeks booked off soon, and my families have known since last year. Last week one of the families tells me they are too going away the same dates I am, on the same flight, luckily not the same hotel (but that is a whole different story). I would now not say to the family that since you are going on holiday you now need to pay me fee's. And if I cancel my holiday tomorrow I could not then say to the parent they they would now have to pay me as I am available as they only booked their holiday because they were off work with their little one due to my holiday plans.