PDA

View Full Version : Extending nap time?

smurfette
01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi.. I have two babies just stared both almost 12 months, luckily don't have them the same days! Both only nap for about 40 minutes at a time and maybe twice a day. I would like their naps to be longer because they need it! But also if I could get them on one longer nap mid day we would have more freedom to do more in the mornings .. Plus they disturb the sleeping ones! The last couple of days I have put them to sleep in the buggy in a footmuff and when they stir rocked them again., this seems to work as they do dose off for a bit and don't seem ready really to get up (one will dose off in my lap when I am cuddling her after getting her up). This way they seem to sleep for more like an hour or so though I am jumping up like a jack in a box! Any body got any advise? Both are in bad sleep habits at night time but one mum is working on the little one self settling

Jenna
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
It will get easier just be firm with routine and stick to it. I had a little boy who started at 9 months he had no routine as such and was a dreadful sleeper for mum both day and night. I used to put him down after snack in morning at 11 then again at 2 for the first couple of weeks he'd only sleep 20 mins at a time but gradually as he settled into routine it got longer he's just turned 18 months I've now managed to cut out the morning nap all together and he goes down about 1 depending on what time we have lunch and will sleep any where between 1.5 / 2 hours which is nice then he wakes up happy. He won't go to sleep in a pram no matter what which is hard if your out for the day and hardly ever sleeps in the car. At first we had lots of tears and screaming at nap time but it soon got better now he gets is dummy and goes to the bottom of the stairs himself

nipper
01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Well today I have two aged 12 months and 10 months. We've been out in the garden for about half an hour, done some spring pictures and had early lunch at 11.30 and I've just put them upstairs in the travel cots (separate rooms). So far so good.
The 10 month old is supposed to have an earlier nap, but he has been quite happily playing so I didn't want to stop his fun. It has also proved to me that he's getting to the age where he can actually last until after lunch. Now, over the next few weeks I can begin to push lunch back to our normal time of 12 noon.
The first few weeks are hit and miss and it will take at least a month to get them into a routine, particularly as you say mum is struggling with the one.

The Juggler
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
all my jittery short sleepers were bad sleepers at home. All of them slept for much longer once the home sleeping situation got sorted :thumbsup: I'd see if you can get parents on board

cathtee
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I have a lo that will go down for a nap with no question, dummy and doll and 5 mins later asleep, mom battles with her at bedtime often
having to lay on the bed with her, I just stuck to my routine with her and she soon got into the swing of it.

smurfette
11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks the one whose mum is working on it at home now sleeps over an hour and the other one is still catnapping but since mum breastfeeds on demand all through the night can't do much about that!