PDA

View Full Version : What a load of poo!!!(NCMA Local)

gingerjames1
01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I visited the local NCMA group last night had 9 childminders attend out of a possible 400 in the area? What a waste of my time!!! This was the second held of only 3 in total!!! Basically the government have given the NCMA a grant to set up a online peer network where you can chat online to other childminders!!! Basically stolen the idea of this website!!! And we was all made to sit n introduce ourselves n then basically sold the idea and then each one of us then offered the job of the Facillitator(who would be in charge of running the online branch for my area) i swiftly turned it down) but there were some that agreed as didnt seem to want to want to say No!!! Only thing i got from it is 2 free online webinars for attending and can put meeting down as part of professional development!!! The lady did say that the NCMA also didnt not agree with agencies put wouldnt answer on ratio's!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Tazmin68
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
At least more attended your meeting than mine. I was one of two people attended. Seems a bit pointless to me.

FussyElmo
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Mmm missed our first one was going to go to the last one but it was cancelled due to lack of number's.

I think anything that gives cms a support basis is a good thing

rickysmiths
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately it is always the way that few people attend these kind of things whoever runs them.

We have 3-4 meetings a year at our local Children's Centre and out of about 50 cms in a five mile radius (so not far to travel) 6 or 7 only ever come and it is always the same ones. The Children's Centre also run 'Meet the Childminder' evenings 4 times a year for parents to come and meet with a few cms who have vacancies, it is less daunting for the parent to come to a place they are familiar with and then they can decide if they want to come and see us at home. I have filled several vacancies this way but again it is out of 50 the same half dozen of us that go. I meet other cm at toddler groups and cm groups many complaining at all the vacancies they have and isn't it hard to get children. Why don't they come to the evening at the CC?

Why do you say NCMA have stolen the idea of this website? Anyone can set up forums and NCMA have had one for its members for some time now and in this day and age I would find it odd if a membership organisation did not have one for their members.

NCMA have been looking for Facilitators for a good period of time, I have been approached directly and asked if I would do it and again I see nothing wrong with this. We all Volunteer to help with different organizations that we belong to, I was on my children's PA and I got ticket to a big school event as a thank you for the time I had given, I have been a Cub leader and a Group Scout Leader in my time and my dh is still Group Secretary, I have helped and so has dh at a swimming club. I have been Chair of my Counties Childminding Association which closed in the end due to lack of interest and we are one of the biggest counties in the country with some 1600 cms! I have also been involved in my local Forum which serves many thousand cm but they are lucky if they get 20-30 to a meeting.

Well as you say at least you got 2 free Webinars for your trouble. I don't see the relevance of mentioning the government grant, we get those for the Scout Group and got them for the Swimming Club for specific projects Charities which is what NCMA can apply for these when they are available and sometimes they get them. You can put any such meeting you attend down as Personal Development even if you get together with a couple of friends to talk about some aspect of cm. Of course you can also claim your mileage.

gingerjames1
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Its exactly the same here!! Same faces and same stories!! I just see it as waste of public money to set something up that is already there and think the Ncma have a check to expect people to do there job for free!!! And was the way this woman demanded that who every took the job had to ensure they were there to answer anyones questions as soon as it is asked and not leave them hanging. Again is this not what i pay my ncma membership for them to give me answers??? No hang on when i ring them i dont ever get any answers!!! We are also in scouting (me and my mum who i childmind with) and get the same thing there as always same people. But in childminding all i every see at local network meetings are the childminders who play by the rules and dont break the rules and their ratio's but never see the cms who i see regulary walking 15kids home on her self from school or putting two year olds in their car with no car seats!!! As these are the childminders who dont want to be seen by the network and instead of agencies i believe all childminders should just have to sign up to an network and then parents could only then claim tax credits from childminders who are part of an accredited network.Sorry for the rant!!!!

rickysmiths
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Its exactly the same here!! Same faces and same stories!! I just see it as waste of public money to set something up that is already there and think the Ncma have a check to expect people to do there job for free!!! And was the way this woman demanded that who every took the job had to ensure they were there to answer anyones questions as soon as it is asked and not leave them hanging. Again is this not what i pay my ncma membership for them to give me answers??? No hang on when i ring them i dont ever get any answers!!! We are also in scouting (me and my mum who i childmind with) and get the same thing there as always same people. But in childminding all i every see at local network meetings are the childminders who play by the rules and dont break the rules and their ratio's but never see the cms who i see regulary walking 15kids home on her self from school or putting two year olds in their car with no car seats!!! As these are the childminders who dont want to be seen by the network and instead of agencies i believe all childminders should just have to sign up to an network and then parents could only then claim tax credits from childminders who are part of an accredited network.Sorry for the rant!!!!

But NCMA depend on its volunteers just as many charitable member organisations. I don't get paid as a Cub Leader.

My county has closed all the networks because they didn't work. May be it should be that all cms have to check in with their local Children's Centre. But you still wouldn't get the bad ones because they are not on any radar because they don't usually advertise on FIS. To be honest I can't be bothered with minders like that anyway. If parents are stupid enough to use them because they are usually chaeper than the good cm and the cm is prepared to risk her home and family (they will have no insurance if they break their Reg Rules) then that is their choice. They get what they pay for. I firmly believe in what goes round comes round. I have one up the road from me. She does go to groups when she is in her numbers and not using unregistered assistants but she never has families who stay long and she seems to get her fair share of little horrors!!

To be honest it actually acts in my favour because most families visit both of us and the good ones sign with me!

FussyElmo
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Of course it was the same people it tends to be in all walks of life.

But thats not to say that all the ones who dont go to networks are hiding etc - it can be other committements, lifestyle, lack of babysitters and general apathy.

I miss a lot of meeting etc due to childcare issues doesnt mean Im not wanting to get involved I just struggle :thumbsup:

gingerjames1
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
My question to you would be? If you saw someone over minding would you go to ofsted????

FussyElmo
01-03-2013, 12:04 PM
My question to you would be? If you saw someone over minding would you go to ofsted????

How would you know? With being able to grant ourselves variations, not knowing the ages of the children I have an 8yo who looks 6 etc :(

Tazmin68
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I suppose in my area we need to see how far the local authority cutbacks will be.i attend two very good childminding groups. They are run by the la with an ncma employee in charge but she is under notice of redundancy if this does happen and our currently very good fis go then ncma local would be a good idea but as things stand we are served very well.
As to reporting someone for over minding yes I would as we all know when ofsted investigate if it is unfounded it is not kept on file so nothing to be concerned about. I was once accused of over minding by a parent who did not realise that 8 and over do not come into the numbers.

FussyElmo
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I suppose in my area we need to see how far the local authority cutbacks will be.i attend two very good childminding groups. They are run by the la with an ncma employee in charge but she is under notice of redundancy if this does happen and our currently very good fis go then ncma local would be a good idea but as things stand we are served very well.
As to reporting someone for over minding yes I would as we all know when ofsted investigate if it is unfounded it is not kept on file so nothing to be concerned about. I was once accused of over minding by a parent who did not realise that 8 and over do not come into the numbers.

It may be nothing to be concerned but was it a nice experiance having ofsted turn up because of an malicious complaint?

I have to be 100% certain before I would do that to somebody. I think I would have a word with my do first so the cm if over minding could put it right.

gingerjames1
01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Im in a very lucky position as my other half works in the pre school that we take our minded children too!!! This specific cm who attends also arrives with 5 under 5's. 3 that stay and two that are under two. The problem is she brings in a car with 5 seats(standard car) with one car seat in front for baby and then other 4 on back seat with no car seats or belts in use!!!! And also just assistant collects with same car situation just different car!!! If my partner gave me the cms name wouldnt that be a break of confidentiality? I am also worried that if she gets a wiff its us will put in complaint about us. As have had one before which was made up by someone and ofsted have kept that on my registration even though the incident didnt happen but as it was anonymous they can not, not record it on your record as a complaint!!!! And cannot refer to complaintant to confirm details!!! Crazy!!!! Hooe this makes sense!!!

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
I was also approached to be a NCMA 'facilitator.' My friend and I were interested and asked for further information. This was shortly after they had just made all the development officers in my county redundant!
It stuck me that effectively I would be taking the place of the Do's, visiting struggling childminders etc. Whilst I am passionate about my work, why on earth would I give up my weekends/ evenings to take the place of development officers? FOR FREE!
I politely declined their kind offer.

christine e
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I was also approached to be a NCMA 'facilitator.' My friend and I were interested and asked for further information. This was shortly after they had just made all the development officers in my county redundant!
It stuck me that effectively I would be taking the place of the Do's, visiting struggling childminders etc. Whilst I am passionate about my work, why on earth would I give up my weekends/ evenings to take the place of development officers? FOR FREE!
I politely declined their kind offer.

Well I am a Facilitator and can assure you that what you describe is not what is expected of us. Our role is to arrange meetings and get everyone together - if anyone wants any individual support then we try and match up with a buddy but even then I would not expect childminders to be visiting in each others homes unless they wanted to. We most certainly do not try and take on the role of DOs - peer to peer support is about group members helping each other.

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Well I am a Facilitator and can assure you that what you describe is not what is expected of us. Our role is to arrange meetings and get everyone together - if anyone wants any individual support then we try and match up with a buddy but even then I would not expect childminders to be visiting in each others homes unless they wanted to. We most certainly do not try and take on the role of DOs - peer to peer support is about group members helping each other.

In my area [and there are LOADS of minders as I live in a big town] we have a local childminding group and termly network meetings. As others have said, it's always the same minders who show up and take part. We all support each other [most of the time:laughing:]
If the local childminding group need to organise activities for the summer hols, then we get together, usually at someone's house or we discuss plans at group.
I don't see that we need a 'facilitator' to do that.
Some of us [very few actually] use the children's centres who are usually very good at offering support.
In my experience the minders that don't use the groups/ children's centres etc are the ones that need 'support.'
Without wanting to sound horrible, if there are minders that are struggling, why don't they mix with the rest of us?
I was put off the idea of the 'facilitator' role as it seemed to me that I would end up doing other minder's paperwork because they couldn't be bothered. Sorry if that offends anyone, but we all know minders out there that just don't bother
don't we? One does become slightly peeved when one turns up for all the meetings/takes part/does one's best only to get the same grade as someone who doesn't give a hoot! [And gets others to 'help' her do her paperwork]:laughing:
I think the fact that I was approached shortly after the Do's were given their marching orders made me a tiny bit suspicious!

SammySplodger
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Well I actually tried to go to an NCMA meeting a few weeks ago, as I wanted to see what CMs locally are doing about Ms Truss and her plans.

The NCMA local meetings in my area are few and far between and my nearest was at least an hours drive away... and I can't drive, so about an hour and a half by train. So I haven't bothered. We have no network either :-(

Hence me getting support via various online means instead. Which is working out ok for me.

Anyway, I'm still thinking of just setting up my own local meeting with CMs in my town and surrounding villages, specifically to make sure we all know what's going on with Gov plans. We are all listed on our local FIS database, so easy to just email everyone... when I get time!

mama2three
01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Im a member here and another forum.
I go to weekly local cm groups in the village.
I work closely with another ( outstanding) cm.
I attend network meetings , though the frequency of them has been reduced.

The ncma local meetings I attend arent to replace any of the above. We get together to share best practice , meet up with other county cms , have a groan and a gripe as you do , and generally support each other.
I know that Christine limits the numbers due to room size and that there are often more than she can accomodate who would like to attend.
The group is what we want it to be..this week we went through the new sef , lots of ideas for everyone.
Next time a couple of the group are from different cultures and will share some crafts with us.....

Yes its the same faces ..we are the ones who want to attend and want to make the best of ourselves. There are opthers who would 'if they could' , and others who wouldnt as they do the bare minimum at all times!
Im sorry it hasnt worked better in other areas but , like all things , dont knock it til youve given it a go...

( oh , and thanks Christine , youre a star.....((and could you pop round on Sunday and do my paperwork for me please:laughing:)) )

christine e
01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Im a member here and another forum.
I go to weekly local cm groups in the village.
I work closely with another ( outstanding) cm.
I attend network meetings , though the frequency of them has been reduced.

The ncma local meetings I attend arent to replace any of the above. We get together to share best practice , meet up with other county cms , have a groan and a gripe as you do , and generally support each other.
I know that Christine limits the numbers due to room size and that there are often more than she can accomodate who would like to attend.
The group is what we want it to be..this week we went through the new sef , lots of ideas for everyone.
Next time a couple of the group are from different cultures and will share some crafts with us.....

Yes its the same faces ..we are the ones who want to attend and want to make the best of ourselves. There are opthers who would 'if they could' , and others who wouldnt as they do the bare minimum at all times!
Im sorry it hasnt worked better in other areas but , like all things , dont knock it til youve given it a go...

( oh , and thanks Christine , youre a star.....((and could you pop round on Sunday and do my paperwork for me please:laughing:)) )

NO :laughing:Thanks for the positive comments mama2three much appreciated :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I think that the idea of the website and grant was to give an alternative place for people to vent and discuss good ideas/practice.

If you all lose your DO's and local government funding where will you go for information?

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I think that the idea of the website and grant was to give an alternative place for people to vent and discuss good ideas/practice.

If you all lose your DO's and local government funding where will you go for information?

In six years of minding, I have gleaned more information from this website than practically anywhere else. In fact, if it wasn't for you guys, I'd have given up.
A local minder asked me last week how I knew so much about the agency proposals/inspections etc.
My answer? I make it my business to find out!!!!! Childminding is my living, not just a hobby!

It's a small world
01-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I struggle to get to meeting or courses as dh works away mid week so no childcare for my children . Would love to be able to contribute :-(

christine e
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
I struggle to get to meeting or courses as dh works away mid week so no childcare for my children . Would love to be able to contribute :-(

You can be a member of your local group online NCMA Local (http://www.ncmalocal.com)

caz3007
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
In six years of minding, I have gleaned more information from this website than practically anywhere else. In fact, if it wasn't for you guys, I'd have given up.
A local minder asked me last week how I knew so much about the agency proposals/inspections etc.
My answer? I make it my business to find out!!!!! Childminding is my living, not just a hobby!

I agree. I had a CM say to me the other day that she has no idea what is required with the changes under the EYFS and has been waiting for her inspection since last summer :panic: and a parent who was all prepared to sign up with me and then cancelled and is now going with her....oh well

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I agree. I had a CM say to me the other day that she has no idea what is required with the changes under the EYFS and has been waiting for her inspection since last summer :panic: and a parent who was all prepared to sign up with me and then cancelled and is now going with her....oh well

I suppose we just have to accept that there are still some minders out there who mind for 'a bit of pin money.'
Although even if that were the case with me, I'd still try and do it to the best of my ability.
A minder local to me has only just started using registers after she was pulled up on it. How she managed to get away without recording children's arrival and departure for so many years is anyone's guess! She has the same grade as me and parents apparently think she is fab. [She has also been known to take her mindees to the hairdressers and they have to sit and wait while she has her hair done.]
As you say, Ho Hum.

gingerjames1
01-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I totally agree that its not needed ive been minding for 8years and been in childcare for 13years and everything ive learnt is down to hard work and research. This is my business and am here to make a profit and do not feel the need to help others to improve their business and then take work from me!!! I hate going to the network meetings in my area as being a male all i get is dirty looks and am seen as being up myself as have an uniform with registered and qualified childminder embroided across it!!!!!

loocyloo
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
on our 'local' ncma local ... there are 6 childminders registered ...

i am the only one who said i would go to a meeting - over an hours drive from me. i then had to cancel as DH was working away. i haven't heard if it happened or not, i've posted a message or 2 on local site - appears to be only me that looks at it!

there is no NCMA presence in my county.

muckily my LA is fantastic for childminders and offers support, we are also a rural county and have few childminders spread over a vast area.

christine e
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM

i am the only one who said i would go to a meeting - over an hours drive from me. i then had to cancel as DH was working away. i haven't heard if it happened or not, i've posted a message or 2 on local site - appears to be only me that looks at it!

muckily my LA is fantastic for childminders and offers support, we are also a rural county and have few childminders spread over a vast area.

Those of us who have NCMA support in our counties only have it because our respective LA's buy the service of NCMA to provide the support locally - sounds like your LA provides the support themselves.

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM

'Muckily':laughing::laughing::laughing:made my day that has:laughing:

bunyip
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
My personal gripe with NCMA-led network meetings in my area is that they are targeted at CMs who are basically too lazy to find out the least little thing for themselves and expect to be spoon-fed information. I refuse to run up taxi fares home from inaccessible venues to waste my time listening to lazy mares asking "so, does this new EYFS apply to us?" several weeks after it was introduced. :angry:

Neither do I wish to "share best practice" when that amounts to a room full of 'experienced' CMs (who've been doing the job several times longer than me, I might add) who only want to steal my paperwork in exchange for their play-dough recipes and beauty tips. They also expect me to pass on my learning from training courses that I bother to take the time go to, whilst they can't be 4rsed - either cos they're making money, or sitting at homewatching Jeremy Kyle (or quite possibly both at the same time.) :mad:

OK, this isn't really NCMA's fault, but I wish the organisation would move on and leave the lazy bovine crowd behind instead of pandering to them.

I have no problem with proper sharing of best practice or supporting genuine new CMs with genuine needs. In fact, I'm a member of a group in the next county where we do just that. Unfortunately my DO doesn't like me going there cos she can't control what goes on outside my/her county. She had the nerve to say, "I hope you're not putting those xxxxshire meetings down in your CPD log". Yeah, right: you just watch me, love. :rolleyes:

Bananabrain
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
My personal gripe with NCMA-led network meetings in my area is that they are targeted at CMs who are basically too lazy to find out the least little thing for themselves and expect to be spoon-fed information. I refuse to run up taxi fares home from inaccessible venues to waste my time listening to lazy mares asking "so, does this new EYFS apply to us?" several weeks after it was introduced. :angry:

Neither do I wish to "share best practice" when that amounts to a room full of 'experienced' CMs (who've been doing the job several times longer than me, I might add) who only want to steal my paperwork in exchange for their play-dough recipes and beauty tips. They also expect me to pass on my learning from training courses that I bother to take the time go to, whilst they can't be 4rsed - either cos they're making money, or sitting at homewatching Jeremy Kyle (or quite possibly both at the same time.) :mad:

OK, this isn't really NCMA's fault, but I wish the organisation would move on and leave the lazy bovine crowd behind instead of pandering to them.

I have no problem with proper sharing of best practice or supporting genuine new CMs with genuine needs. In fact, I'm a member of a group in the next county where we do just that. Unfortunately my DO doesn't like me going there cos she can't control what goes on outside my/her county. She had the nerve to say, "I hope you're not putting those xxxxshire meetings down in your CPD log". Yeah, right: you just watch me, love. :rolleyes::laughing:

Couldn't have put it better myself Bunyip. You've pretty much said what I was thinking but was too polite[or scared] to say.:laughing: