PDA

View Full Version : just started with mindees

RachaelStevens
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Hello all im starting today with aftwr schoolies and been training since September 12. On first aid course and child minding course safeguarding children. My question is do I phone hmrc and declare myself self employed also as im only working 12 hours over the next four weeks as mum does different shifts so all my expenses will be far higher than my income does this mean I will be at a loss for 2012-2013 as ive not worked though rest of year. Or could I keep my start up costa till after April as I will also be on maternity leave from 22 april 13 till 21 August 13 so wont be earning for 17 weeks as not taking retailers will be starting fully in August

If this all sounds wrong please let me know. As so not sure about tax and the same for claiming my own tax credits what do I have to do. I am at a loss of this part

MrAnchovy
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
It sounds like the work you are doing over the next four weeks is not really part of your business so you do not need to register as self employed now and can save your start up costs. You do need to inform HMRC about your income over the next four weeks for Tax Credit purposes though. I'd suggest you describe it as "babysitting" so as not to set any hares running.

Note that until you have your Ofsted registration you cannot look after any child under 8 years old for more than 2 hours in any day in return for payment unless they are related to you or are children of friends in which case the payment has to be "in kind" rather than money.

RachaelStevens
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
It sounds like the work you are doing over the next four weeks is not really part of your business so you do not need to register as self employed now and can save your start up costs. You do need to inform HMRC about your income over the next four weeks for Tax Credit purposes though. I'd suggest you describe it as "babysitting" so as not to set any hares running.

Note that until you have your Ofsted registration you cannot look after any child under 8 years old for more than 2 hours in any day in return for payment unless they are related to you or are children of friends in which case the payment has to be "in kind" rather than money.

Hi yes ive had my ofsted visit and fully insured I would not be able to declare anything in pervious tax year as start up costs ive been told as that would all be classed as previous year expenses. I contacted the tax office and they said id just be working at a loss and could off set ot against next year too

Chatterbox Childcare
01-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Ofsted cert are available to print from the Ofsted website if needed