PDA

View Full Version : Registered but no children

harriparri
28-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Hi all,
Just looking for some advise. I have been registered since September last year and i am struggling to get enquiries. I looked after one little girl for four months, but unfortunatlely she as her mum changed jobs, but since then i have had no enquiries. I have advertised on all the usual websites, have my card up at the clinic and the library, I pop into baby and toddler clubs so i am known there, i chat to people and give out my business card as much as possible but still nothing. Its getting quite desperate now as i have just gone onto job seekers allowance and (i suppose quite fairly) they want me to get a job and are not willing to wait for me to find more children to mind. Frustrating really as i can earn more as a childminder than if i work the 22.5hours the job centre ay i can work.
So really my question was, how did you find your children or is it as i suppose it just happens over time.
Thanks
Nicky

jillplum
28-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Sometimes it just takes time. Does your local authority have lists of childminders? Are you on that? How about your local Nursery and schools. If you have links with schools they can often pass on enquiries. You may have to take another job but keep advertising then you can give up the job when it makes sense financially.

maryp0ppins
28-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Hi

It really is a shame & a waiting game. If you have No lo's can you maybe ask around all your local play group centres / make & plays etc if they have any available work or maybe volunteer (I know this doesn't help with your finances but will get your foot in the door iykwim)

Hopefully someone will come along with better ideas for you.
Chin up x

leeanne910
28-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Have u tried childcare.co.uk

I didnt wanna pay to use it but since using it word is getting out there and had loads of enquiries.

I also use my business facebook page and share it to my friends who share it out and share it out

Hope that helps xx

harriparri
28-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Thank you ladies for your ideas, i shall certainly try some of them.
Lol its typical isn't it, this afternoon i was sitting here seeing no light at the end of the tunnel then at 5pm i had a call with a lady enquiring about me looking after her two children. She is coming tomorrow morning, so i am now frantically cleaning (even though im in the middle of having a new boiler fitted, so probably a thankless task) Fingers crossed she likes me and my setting.
x

RuthJ
28-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Lol its typical isn't it, this afternoon i was sitting here seeing no light at the end of the tunnel then at 5pm i had a call with a lady enquiring about me looking after her two children. She is coming tomorrow morning, so i am now frantically cleaning (even though im in the middle of having a new boiler fitted, so probably a thankless task) Fingers crossed she likes me and my setting.
x

That's great! Good luck!

I've had a couple via childcare.co.uk. Are you on your local family information service childcare list as well? Our local authority sends it out to parents who are looking for childcare.

All the best for tmrw.

lubeam
28-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Face book worked for me! :) good luck tomorrow :)

kims kingdom
01-03-2013, 10:10 AM
x

Well done you remember to ask lots of questions write all details down and make sure you get them to pay for your holiday made that mistake before good luck

susanrich
16-03-2013, 08:25 PM
So how did it go ? I am now registered but as yet don't have any children (apart from my own)

silvermist
16-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Good luck with the enquiry.

I got my first mindee because a friend gave someone my business card and its literally been word of mouth since then.
I hope you get some mindees soon hun xx

Dippy1
20-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Hi I became registered in August and have just got my 1st mindee. I put my details on the childcare.co.uk it then forgot all about it. I did read that you need to keep logging in to keep bringing your profile details to top.

skatie
20-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I've been registered since April last year but wasn't too worried about getting first mindee as my LO was still small. Got my first mindee ( one day a week) in September and my second (2 days a week after school care) in March. I too am starting to get a bit desperate. I've registered on childcare.co.uk, family information services, yell.com, Facebook page. Still slow on enquiries... My sister is now very kindly making me some free magnetic adverts for the car and I'm debating getting shirts/fleeces done. And will be doing a website soon. Good luck for tomorrow, hope it works out for you!

JoRo163
24-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I set up a website & sent a load of leaflets and magnetic business cards to my daughters school. This got me 2 different families. I figured people will put the magnet on their fridge and my details will be there when they need them. I registered in July last year, started work in September with just one child, but I am now full. I am still getting enquiries on the back of this, but turning work away!

Stick with it, work will come together and you will be run off your feet before you know it.