PDA

View Full Version : Would it be unproffessional to give notice

julie w
28-02-2013, 10:21 AM
About 5 months ago a couple asked if I had a full time vacancy for their almost 2 yr old daughter. At the time I hadnt but I could only offer one day a week which they took. The next week another parent asked if I could mind their child an extra day ie 5 days instead of 4. So with a variation I did . (I wouldnt have needed variation if I hadnt taken new child). Any way last week one of my mindees left as mum was made redundant. Ive offered the 1 day a week child the extra days I now have. The parents say she is now settled with relatives and want to stick to one day a week. However I have had an enquiry from a mum asking me to mind her 2 year old and 8 year old from September. I really want to , but I couldnt cope with 5 on a Monday, but would it look really awful if I gave notice to the 1 day a week child so I could take on the other 2 in September?I hope this all makes sense.

Cottonsocks
28-02-2013, 10:38 AM
It's a tough one. I've found myself in this position before & found I couldn't finish the one day a week. I decided to ride out the rough with the smooth. There is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on you & your finances.

leeanne910
28-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Ive wondered this as no doubt i will encounter it.

I dont have an answer but will we watching out for them.

lisbet
28-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Are there any other days when you would have space for the 1-day-a-week child? Maybe her parents/ relatives would consider swapping the day she comes to you?

FussyElmo
28-02-2013, 11:58 AM
If these children are going to take you to 5 under 5s on a monday without giving notice to someone you wouldnt be able to grant yourself a variation as its not continuity of care.

Only you can make the decision as there is pros and cons to it.

emma04
28-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Personally, I would give notice and take on the other children.

I know that sounds harsh, but they wouldn't think twice about serving you with notice if a family member became available on the day you have the lo.

I've been stung in the past i.e. Turned a full time place away, only to be given notice a few weeks later:angry:

Owl
28-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Its not unprofessional. 1 day a week is taking up a space and if you need the income from a full time space then I'm sure they would cope. If they only need childcare one day a week I'm sure they would work round it. And as others said, they wouldn't think twice about giving you notice.

Bestr of luck whatever you decide :)

smurfette
28-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Its not unprofessional. 1 day a week is taking up a space and if you need the income from a full time space then I'm sure they would cope. If they only need childcare one day a week I'm sure they would work round it. And as others said, they wouldn't think twice about giving you notice.

Plus one this is what I would do

Carla Watts
28-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I have done this myself, so yes I would give notice to the 1 day a week child. x

jillplum
28-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I think I would ask the parent first if they could swap days.If not the just be honest and say you cant afford to turn down full timers. See what she says. She may decide to send her more days or get family to cover that day as well. If all else fails then yes give notice. Its your livelihood not a favour.:D

wendywu
28-02-2013, 02:07 PM

What she said :thumbsup:

chezzagriff
28-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Its a tricky one, although if you gave notice now thats plenty of time for her to arrange other care for her child. Just explain that you offered her the place and now a family wants it. Like others have said you might find that she ups her days, Good luck with it all

julie w
28-02-2013, 03:23 PM
If these children are going to take you to 5 under 5s on a monday without giving notice to someone you wouldnt be able to grant yourself a variation as its not continuity of care.

Only you can make the decision as there is pros and cons to it.

Hi yes I know this, but even if they would its not what I want. Goodness me 5 ha ha xxx(nervous laugh)x

tas
28-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I understand your dilemma and realise you have to do whats financially right for you but...... I don't think I could give notice after agreeing to a 1 day contract unless I had previously discussed this with the parent

I guess that's why i'll never be rich! :laughing:

mummyMia
28-02-2013, 04:06 PM
September is still a long way away from now. I think I might be tempted to promise the new family the place but not say anything to the 1 day a week child's parents quite yet. One of your existing children may well leave or cut down days before September and solve the problem for you.

emma04
28-02-2013, 05:03 PM
September is still a long way away from now. I think I might be tempted to promise the new family the place but not say anything to the 1 day a week child's parents quite yet. One of your existing children may well leave or cut down days before September and solve the problem for you.

That's ok if you live in a big town where there are lots of choldminders. Where I live that would be like a lamb to the slaughter, everyone knows everyone and everything and some know your private business before you even know yourself!