PDA

View Full Version : On course few questions

Karen1
27-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi
I am on week two of the cm course, already have my first aid

Should I apply to ofsted now? As want to be ready to go ASAP
How long do they normally take to visit?

Could I mind now or do I do to wait until fully ready?

Is business class what I need for car insurance?

Tia

Rachael's stars
01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi you cant take any children on until your registered as its breaking the law, u will need to change your car insurence to business class but it fosmt udually costuch more of any, it depends how ready you are to aplly to ofsted and how much time ul have to prepare, i sent my application november and am due my registration visit next week as everything has neen completed now ( had a few hold ups due to registering with a co minder)
If you think ul be able to get all your policies and procedures, risk assessments and other paperwork done in abput 12 weeks then id go for it, I wish I did mine earlier insted I waited until I finished the course and moved house then applied when I felt id covered most things now im just touching things up waiting and reafing through what iv already done, do what you think you can mamage,
Good luck x

sarah707
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
It depends where you live as well - in Cheshire East for example you are not allowed to apply to ofsted until your course is finished and passed.

I suggest you ask your tutors :D

Karen1
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I rang my insurance and they want an extra £20 a month to insure. SOunds alot to me. is this the normal?

I am really trying to get on top of everything, as really want to apply straight away. I am going to ask my tutor on Tuesday. but think I can be up and running asap. fingers crossed-then it just depends on getting children to mind.

benandjerrys
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
yes you can, i have just had this confirmed last week by ofsted. They said as long as the course is completed and you have all certs available for viewing its ok. I seen to be at the same stage as you, im on week 3 of the cypop and have completed food safety, first aid and just need to do the safeguarding. I will probably ring start the application next week.

Karen1
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi emmalite

thanks for the reply.
I think that I will apply early. I intend to get everything sorted and going. as long as i do all the homeworks each week and do the rest on top, then I am pretty sure I can be going. As long as ofsted dont take forever. i work in a nursery so have some idea of what i am doing?
do you want to chat and help each other out? seeing as we are on the same week number!
karen

mummyMia
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I would apply to Ofsted as soon as you can. THe CRBs can take absolutely ages to come through!!

benandjerrys
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi emmalite

thanks for the reply.
I think that I will apply early. I intend to get everything sorted and going. as long as i do all the homeworks each week and do the rest on top, then I am pretty sure I can be going. As long as ofsted dont take forever. i work in a nursery so have some idea of what i am doing?
do you want to chat and help each other out? seeing as we are on the same week number!
karen

Hi Karen Yes we could definitley help each other out and compare notes lol You have the added advantage of working with early years, this is something iv never done as I have always worked with the elderly but I am slowly getting my head round it. My course tutor has told me that after the final week of the cypop it will be another 2 weeks before it i signed off so im just trying to work the timings out.

Karen1
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi

Emma

I'm sure you will be fine. I feel swamped. There just seems to be so much to do. Have just ordered first aid box.
Doing week three homework.
Have printed off ofsted form and need to sort out who I will ask for references. It seems like it will take ages as you have to have ofsted form and crb. Rekeying on others who won't see the urgency to get it done.
Thinking about where to store everything and looking for door locks now.
How are you getting on?
Karen

adedwards68
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi

I'm in the process of becoming a childminder just done week 5. My tutor told us we couldn't apply before we had finished the course but I spoke to ofsted and said as long as you have already began the course or have dates when you will be starting the course then you can apply . Even on the forms it asks if you haven't completed the course what are the dates you start and finish
Obviously you can't be registered until you have done the exam and got your results back
I thought the same as you, if I could get the part with ofsted in motion it might save some time as crbs take ages and I'm still waiting for my doctor to sign my health declaration , which has been almost 4 weeks
Good luck with everything

Karen1
08-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Blimey- I think I better get to the doctors with my form then! I am hoping they will fill it out and I can collect it and then view it and send it. Do you think this will be ok? (as i would like to double check what they have wrote)

Still sorting references, i dont really want to tell my current employment what i am doing, but the form says to put them down adn they will contact them for a reference. Really dont want my work to know- as then they know that i am planning on leaving soon! and my boss is dreadful anyway and i can see her making my working day even worse if i have to disclose that!

Really going to try and get to the doctors before I go to work today with the doctors form. have got an hour. so better stop writing here and get moving.

how is everyone else doing-

am looking for cheap scrap books or idea to make into learning journals- what is everyone else using?

karen

adedwards68
08-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi

You doctor might be really quick. Phoned doctor again today(exactly 4 weeks now) and STILL not done, will have to phone the secretary on Monday. I wouldn't mind if they were doing it for free but my surgery charge £45 to do it and I never go to the doctors, only things they'd have I their system is 4 pregnancies and normal routine things

starlight1
08-03-2013, 02:38 PM
A few things delayed mine waited an age for docors to complete....

The CRB took ages too .

I would wait on car insurance till you have a child in place...mine was the same but I was classed as unemployed before.
You can change it over one phonecall.

I applied before course finished

Karen1
08-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Have just taken health form to docs, receptionist said up to four weeks for them to fill in. Forgot to ask how much. So glad I got that done. Just need to complete ofsted from now and get that posted.
By time all done with crb will def have finished the course.
Will be chasing the docs I'm sure.

adedwards68
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Finally health declaration signed, took 4 weeks and 4 days and £15! ( thought it was going to be £45)

Karen1
13-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Ah £15 is not too bad. but 4 weeks and 4 days, it is so long. least you are finally moving.
Have you got all your policies wrote out.
Today I have bought safety locks for the cupboards and have started to sort through the toys. putting them in some sort of order and organising the boxes, taking photos and generally trying to see what I have and dont have. I think i will just write down for ofsted what i would get if i have young children or older children. Do you think this would be ok~? as dont want loads in storage (plus no where to put it)?
there just seems to be so much to do. I am keeping up with my weeekly homework, but know a few on my course are not.
k

benandjerrys
13-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Ah £15 is not too bad. but 4 weeks and 4 days, it is so long. least you are finally moving.
Have you got all your policies wrote out.
Today I have bought safety locks for the cupboards and have started to sort through the toys. putting them in some sort of order and organising the boxes, taking photos and generally trying to see what I have and dont have. I think i will just write down for ofsted what i would get if i have young children or older children. Do you think this would be ok~? as dont want loads in storage (plus no where to put it)?
there just seems to be so much to do. I am keeping up with my weeekly homework, but know a few on my course are not.
k

Hi Karen, we seem to be doing the same things! Iv been looking through my kids toys this week too and have just bought cupboard locks of ebay. Iv been doing my homework to but a few on my course havent even handed week 1 in yet. I need to sort my garden out but will put that on hubbys to do list! My list just keeps growing...i think i will get more done if i leave it to last minute as i work better under pressure !!!

Karen1
14-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi. I got my locks from eBay too! Every week on the course there seems to be extras to do. I am aiming to hit the ground running as I really want to quit my job. I hate it. Love the kids, but my boss and work people are dreadful. So want to quit over summer when I don't have to work my notice as I'm term time only.and then be ready for September. Well that is the plan, as long as ofsted move fast!
Still sorting toys, but day off today. Off to soft play with youngest.
K

adedwards68
19-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Writing out policies today, but got fed up! So I'll go back to them later. I got rid of all my pre school toys so having to start again. I'll get a few things but I will explain to ofsted that ill get more when I start minding, it seems pointless buying loads of baby things if I don't end up minding a baby and visa versa.
We haven't really had any homework on our course, just reading relevant literature. One week left, yeah and also found out that all ofsted want is the cert of attendance I thought is was the cert we got when we take the exam. Apparently you don't need to do the exam but I will anyway.

Karen1
19-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I know it is all so slow going, making sure you cover everyhting. My course tonight is on safeguarding. So not looking forward to that one. week five though. cant believe how fast it is going? cant wait to get started . dreading the ofsted visit and that is nowhere in sight.

still got to sort toys i have. im not buying baby toys either until i know i need them.

what are you going to charge?
i was think £4 and then £3.80 for siblings

adedwards68
19-03-2013, 02:43 PM
In my area it £4.50-£5.00

Did safeguarding last night, hope I'm never in that situation, that was my wk 7.

benandjerrys
19-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Writing out policies today, but got fed up! So I'll go back to them later. I got rid of all my pre school toys so having to start again. I'll get a few things but I will explain to ofsted that ill get more when I start minding, it seems pointless buying loads of baby things if I don't end up minding a baby and visa versa.
We haven't really had any homework on our course, just reading relevant literature. One week left, yeah and also found out that all ofsted want is the cert of attendance I thought is was the cert we got when we take the exam. Apparently you don't need to do the exam but I will anyway.

Hi, How do you know that ofsted only want cert of attendence? Have you spoke to them? Only asking because im in the same boat, Iv filled the forms out but scared to post them incase ofsted want to do the pre reg but iv not had the certificate...

benandjerrys
19-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I know it is all so slow going, making sure you cover everyhting. My course tonight is on safeguarding. So not looking forward to that one. week five though. cant believe how fast it is going? cant wait to get started . dreading the ofsted visit and that is nowhere in sight.

still got to sort toys i have. im not buying baby toys either until i know i need them.

what are you going to charge?
i was think £4 and then £3.80 for siblings

Hi Karen, Iv been bidding on toy bundles on ebay, am def not buying new after giving away all my own childrens toys. Im on the safeguarding tomorrow then its just the cypop to complete.

teacakepenguin
19-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I started my course early Dec and should be starting on Monday.

Speak to the person who runs your course. There are many things that must be done, and some vary from area to area.

My early years lady was amazingly helpful, but even with xmas happening therefore a couple of weeks break it has still taken me about 3 months, with doing child protection and first aid and food hygiene etc...

adedwards68
19-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi, How do you know that ofsted only want cert of attendence? Have you spoke to them? Only asking because im in the same boat, Iv filled the forms out but scared to post them incase ofsted want to do the pre reg but iv not had the certificate...

My tutor told us that all ofsted require is the certificate that says we have attended all sessions
I also phoned ofsted and they told me that you can send your form to them as long as you have done, started or be booked onto a course

adedwards68
19-03-2013, 09:10 PM
My tutor told us that all ofsted require is the certificate that says we have attended all sessions
I also phoned ofsted and they told me that you can send your form to them as long as you have done, started or be booked onto a course

I'm assuming that ofsted won't actually visit you until you have finished the course, but it does mean that the disclosures, references etc are under way

benandjerrys
19-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm assuming that ofsted won't actually visit you until you have finished the course, but it does mean that the disclosures, references etc are under way

I really hope that is true, this is my dilemma, what if I send my forms of and everything is fine and they want to come out for the pre reg inspection and I havent got the cert for the cypop course? Im expecting crbs and health dec to take a while but if they are very straightforward it might be too soon. Have googled it over and over but cant find anything concrete. Iv just done week five out of 8 week cypop course.

shortstuff
20-03-2013, 05:52 AM
If you havent received the cert yet you tell them this when they phone to make the appointment. They will then tell you if they will come or need to wait. Hth

adedwards68
20-03-2013, 11:25 AM
I really hope that is true, this is my dilemma, what if I send my forms of and everything is fine and they want to come out for the pre reg inspection and I havent got the cert for the cypop course? Im expecting crbs and health dec to take a while but if they are very straightforward it might be too soon. Have googled it over and over but cant find anything concrete. Iv just done week five out of 8 week cypop course.

Send an enquiry to Ofsted if you're still unsure and want peace of mind

benandjerrys
20-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Send an enquiry to Ofsted if you're still unsure and want peace of mind

I have just rang ofsted and they have told me to send evrything off and if I havent got the cypop cert then as long as they know iv completed it it should be fine. I will get a letter of attendence from the college. They also said if its within their time scale of 12 weeks could put the pre reg off till iv got the cert. Feel soo much better now, right i better get to the post office :)

adedwards68
20-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Great! Good luck with it all

Karen1
24-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Right there is so much to do. My to do list keeps growing and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I am really hoping to be ready for my inspection when i finish my course at the end of april.- six weeks away! eeekkkk

i have just got my crb forms signed. there seems to be so many people to ask for references and verifying. wondering how long the crbs take to get sorted?
posting cheque for fee monday?
chasing health form on tuesday (as doctor back in then)
redecorating bedroom, as really needed it.- am currently in middle of it now- as one son at grandmas for the day, other is helping!!!
doing photos for the toy boxes- that i still need to fully sort.
sorting out some a sort of daily chart and routine for the children to stick on, felt boards?
resources- may join the scrapstore
displays- where and how are you going to display the ofsted certificate- as really dont want it just stuck on the wall in the lounge?
feel like i dont have enough storage- are you all just using those plastic boxes you can buy
got to sort policies into a booklet
finish business plan
finish last task of course
book keeping- have no idea how to do accounts- anyone know of cheap online course or book to learn?

i have childminder support worker coming next wednesday to give me a few tips hopefully on what i still need to do to get up todate and ready-will let you all know

Does anyone else feel like their list is growing- have a missed anything off?

when registered- advertising, leaflets. are you getting business cards- are they worth it? will i get children.

OMG feel completely overwhelmed. now its easter, so will probably slow everything down as well.

how is everyone else getting on?
karen

Rachael's stars
25-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Right there is so much to do. My to do list keeps growing and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I am really hoping to be ready for my inspection when i finish my course at the end of april.- six weeks away! eeekkkk

i have just got my crb forms signed. there seems to be so many people to ask for references and verifying. wondering how long the crbs take to get sorted?
posting cheque for fee monday?
chasing health form on tuesday (as doctor back in then)
redecorating bedroom, as really needed it.- am currently in middle of it now- as one son at grandmas for the day, other is helping!!!
doing photos for the toy boxes- that i still need to fully sort.
sorting out some a sort of daily chart and routine for the children to stick on, felt boards?
resources- may join the scrapstore
displays- where and how are you going to display the ofsted certificate- as really dont want it just stuck on the wall in the lounge?
feel like i dont have enough storage- are you all just using those plastic boxes you can buy
got to sort policies into a booklet
finish business plan
finish last task of course
book keeping- have no idea how to do accounts- anyone know of cheap online course or book to learn?

i have childminder support worker coming next wednesday to give me a few tips hopefully on what i still need to do to get up todate and ready-will let you all know

Does anyone else feel like their list is growing- have a missed anything off?

when registered- advertising, leaflets. are you getting business cards- are they worth it? will i get children.

OMG feel completely overwhelmed. now its easter, so will probably slow everything down as well.

how is everyone else getting on?
karen

Karen you sound just like me and my pre reg is on wed morning :-/ im running round like a headless chicken, I think my house is in order and safe, I just dont understend just what will be expected paperwork wise for my registration visit, I also use normal clear plastic boxes that iv lables and have a lot of ikea expedit storage x

Karen1
26-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Good luck on wed for the per reg Rachel. Let us know how it goes.

Just got health form back 2 weeks 2 days and £40

Gp put on there that I had pnd in 2011! Now really worried they will say no! I am perfectly fine now-my second son was born very ill and it was for a short time. I also work in a nursery and no problems. Worrying now will all be for nothing

Just waiting for crbs to come back .and these forms and to finish the course at end of April.

Getting upto date now slowly but still a to do list!

Karen

Ballette
26-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I had pnd Karen and am still taking anti-depressants but Ofsted were OK with this. So long as you are honest about it and upfront, they'll probably just ask for a few more details. I remember being worried sick that they'd say I couldn't mind but everything turned out fine and I've been registered for 3 1/2 years now :)

Karen1
27-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that ballette. I'm worried they will say no, but I am ok. Will worry until clear though.

Thanks again. K

Karen1
04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi
Waiting for childminding support worker to come and give me tips
She was due yesterday and. Cancelled ten mins before.i was annoyed as house clean kids sat doing tasks.
Today house is not so clean and kids fed up of waiting in.
I know it's not foster but still worried that I will not b able to childmind. Just want to get started. 4 more weeks of course to go and waiting on crbs before they can even visit. Just want the waiting over and get started.
K

caz3007
04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Karen, I registered in 2006 and prior to that had depression and was on anti depressants due to the situation I was in at the time. I put a covering letter in with my medical form to Ofsted explaining the circumstances and no one even asked about it. I dont know if its any different now as that was pre-EYFS, but in my view it cant do any harm x

Karen1
04-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks caz. Its all a bit daunting and I still worry that there will be a stigma to it, but as i am now 'ok' I am hoping it is all fine. probably worrying over nothing, like you said. thanks for your reply though-good to know that others are registered too. thanks

benandjerrys
05-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Good luck on wed for the per reg Rachel. Let us know how it goes.

Just got health form back 2 weeks 2 days and £40

Gp put on there that I had pnd in 2011! Now really worried they will say no! I am perfectly fine now-my second son was born very ill and it was for a short time. I also work in a nursery and no problems. Worrying now will all be for nothing

Just waiting for crbs to come back .and these forms and to finish the course at end of April.

Getting upto date now slowly but still a to do list!

Karen

Hi Karen, The doc has got my health form as we speak, its been two weeks now. I have had to declare a very bad slipped disc I had 18 months ago and also 2 yrs ago I had 4 months of with stress due to fighting the L/A for a special school for my son. Dreading reading what the doc has put on the form but im just going to see it as another hoop to jump through. Got loads of homework to do as kids have drove me mad these easter holidays! My garden is half sorted but still need to sort the house out, I work better under pressure:laughing: I cant wait for monday when the kids go back and peace is restored then I will ring ofsted and ask them for an update on everything.

Karen1
10-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Had the childminder support person around.she advised more on multicultural stuff. Any books or toy recommendations. Also disability toys. I didn't want to buy loads before I started but now think I will need to cover this part for ofsted.
What have you all got to cover this.
Also are you all going to do general planning before on what activities you will do.
Tia