PDA

View Full Version : Breakages

cbshoat
27-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Just wondered what everyone does with regards to breakages to their property and home?

Nicola Carlyle
27-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I'd be interested to see what replies you get as I have been thinking the same.

QualityCare
27-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Never had any but l would tell parents and see what they say about payment but thats why we have insurance covering accidental damage for childminders.

Kiddleywinks
27-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Some things can be down to wear and tear/general child clumsiness/accidental/age related developments (eg drawing on walls), in which case it's part of the job I'm afraid, that's what I put my wear and tear allowance towards.

If it was a deliberate act by a child who knows/should know better, then I would in the first instance make an incident report, get the report signed by parents as confirmation that they were informed, and then I'd be presenting them with a bill/quote/estimate of what it's going to cost them to put the damage right.
However, that said, if it was something I could have prevented myself, I wouldn't necessarily expect parents to foot the bill.
For example:
A child of 8 is asked not to kick the ball at the wall near a door or window, they do it again, and I ask them again, and again, not to, and then a window gets broken - how would that be the parents responsibility? The child is in my care, I know how responsive they are about following instructions, and therefore how likely they are to ignore my request (if the likelihood was high then they wouldn't have taken the ball out in the first place :p)
If I'd allowed them to carry on, then that would be my fault iygwim.

funemnx
27-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I usually just sigh and cover the cost myself, some breakage is to be expected - the only time I've asked parents to pay was when a child deliberately scratched my car with a stone from my drive while parent was collecting, parent told her to put the stone down and she went over and drew on my car! Parents paid over £200 no argument...

cbshoat
27-02-2013, 07:38 PM
I usually just sigh and cover the cost myself, some breakage is to be expected - the only time I've asked parents to pay was when a child deliberately scratched my car with a stone from my drive while parent was collecting, parent told her to put the stone down and she went over and drew on my car! Parents paid over £200 no argument...

Thats great thanks everybody ;)