PDA

View Full Version : Foundation degree in early years

welshgirl
27-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm after advice from anyone who has done the foundation degree. I have been offered funding from my LA to do this, it is something I would love to do, but am not sure if the time is right. I have 2 young children of my own, I'm childminding 4 days a week and am not sure I will be able to keep on top of course work, childminding paperwork, house chores, and be able to spend quality time with my family, I'm just wondering how others that have done it managed.

Pixie dust
27-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I did mine through the Open University, it was a lot of hard work and took up a lot of time at week-ends/eve but I am glad I did it. I like the fact with the OU I could fit the studying in when I wanted too but you have to be strict with yourself. where will you be doing yours? is it through a local college it would be best to talk to them to find out how many hours a week etc.

If you are getting funding I would go for it if you feel you can manage the workload.

watgem
27-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi there I started mine 3 years ago, it was hard work trying to juggle everything, and my mum died at the start of the course, there were often times when i really wondered why I was doing it, but I have to say I got lots of support on here and from the families I work with, also other settings and the local primary. I had to fund myself as our LA didn't fund CM's, and now I have come out the other side I would say seriously consider doing it, it will be well worth it in the long runxxx

CLL
27-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Go for it. Most of the funding is getting pulled so this may be your last chance. I have just finished my EYPS and it was so difficult juggling it along with everything else. However now I have come out the other side it feels great.

freckleonear
27-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm in my first year but am doing it part-time over three years instead of two. I spend about 5 hours at college per week and we are expected to dedicate at least that much time to studying at home. Over one third of our group have dropped out since September, struggling with things like full-time work, computer literacy and academic skills such as referencing. I've done a previous foundation degree so it wasn't as much of a shock, my problems are just procrastination and laziness. :laughing: It's very interesting though, I'm really enjoying it and it has definitely helped me to develop as a professional.

partyrings
27-02-2013, 08:22 PM
I am in my first year...second seminar. Its hard work I will not lie to you. I too work 5 days and have young kids of my own, but when those results came back in and I did well I got a real buzz. I am learning things and when talking to other professionals using what I have learnt they sit up and listen. You go for it...I am paying for it through uni fee's so if you have got funding grab with both hands :0) what have you got to loose? And good luck ☆

Little Puddings
27-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I've done a full degree with the OU and I'm currently nearly half way through my last postgraduate module for my Masters of Education. It is hard at first as it takes some getting used to especially if you study by distance learning but once you get used to it, it is achievable. My husband was in the Army when I did my degree and first masters module and he was commuting on a weekly basis so I have have been on my own with our 3 kids but it has got easier as they are getting older. I used to feel guilty as I would often say I'm sorry but I've got to study but for last few years I've made sure I stop and give the children their time when they need me or just want to talk to me. When my husband did a tour of Afghanistan I had no choice but to learn how to write assignments and still give the children attention, I can now listen to them read, help with homework while still doing my own work :-)
Every course I ask myself why am I doing this??? But as soon as one is finidhed I can't wait to start the next one.
I am an OU addict....
I'm just about to get my books out to do some reading.

Go for it!!!

The Juggler
27-02-2013, 09:57 PM
go for it hon. especially if funded. the learning is immense - changed my practice totally. It's hard work, there WILL be tears but also lots of laughing and you'll look back and wondered how 2 years passed so quickly :thumbsup:

emma04
28-02-2013, 01:03 PM
go for it hon. especially if funded. the learning is immense - changed my practice totally. It's hard work, there WILL be tears but also lots of laughing and you'll look back and wondered how 2 years passed so quickly :thumbsup:

Im in my 2nd year, studying for 5 GCSE's, working a 40hr week and have an 8yr old and a 2yr old! Hard work but will be worth it in the end as im hoping to become a primary school teacher.

manjay
28-02-2013, 01:16 PM
It's a yes from me too:thumbsup:. For me it is up there with some the best decisions I have made in my life.

Our local Uni offers it classroom based or distance learning.. I started off in in the classroom but after a few modules (and getting the hang of study again after 20ish years) I switched to distance learning which works better for me. My husband also worked away and I did always try and keep to only working 4 days a week so I could keep one for study. That way it didn't eat into my weekend too much.

I graduated in Oct 2011 and I am now on the next stage of completing the full BA (Hons). Love it, love, love it:clapping:

nipper
28-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Please then everyone, some advice for someone going the other way so to speak. I had (before I gave up to become a childminder two years ago) seventeen years experience as a Key Stage 2 Primary school teacher. If and when I go back to teaching (not yet, as having too much fun running my own business) I think it would be as an Early Years teacher. I did four years teacher training at University and have a BA (Hons) with QTS. Is this the QTS that Elizabeth Truss is on about, when she keeps referring to better qualifications in nurseries, or am I better just learning on the job so to speak, with more specific experience of the age group I am currently working with. Please don't take this as sounding big headed, but I can't help but feel they would be teaching me to suck eggs in terms of child development and educational theories!

welshgirl
28-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you guys, it's nice to know you all found it a positive experience. I'll have a lot of thinking to do this weekend! X

CLL
28-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Please then everyone, some advice for someone going the other way so to speak. I had (before I gave up to become a childminder two years ago) seventeen years experience as a Key Stage 2 Primary school teacher. If and when I go back to teaching (not yet, as having too much fun running my own business) I think it would be as an Early Years teacher. I did four years teacher training at University and have a BA (Hons) with QTS. Is this the QTS that Elizabeth Truss is on about, when she keeps referring to better qualifications in nurseries, or am I better just learning on the job so to speak, with more specific experience of the age group I am currently working with. Please don't take this as sounding big headed, but I can't help but feel they would be teaching me to suck eggs in terms of child development and educational theories!

I also have QTS and I have just retrained as an EYP. The new EYT will not have QTS status and will be focused on birth to five, so very different from primary QTS. If I was in your position I would hold off a few years until things settle down and then look at the jobs on offer. EYT's will not be on QTS pay and conditions and I feel there will not be that many jobs out there, there are not many at the moment for EYPs. You will have to retrain again though as primary QTS will not be sufficient.