PDA

View Full Version : Special Library card for CM's

Toothfairy
27-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I had a letter from my DO today advising me that as a CM, I am entitled to a special Lbirary card (im in Kent, so im not sure if all boroughs do this?).

Childminders are entitled to a Childminders card (in addition to their own personal library cards too of course).

The Childminders Card entitles you to borrow:
•From any library in Kent - books can be returned to any Kent Library too. Many now have drop boxes where you can return your books after hours too.
•Up to a maximum of 50 items per ticket
•You can keep them for up to 8 weeks •No fines
•Can't find the book you want? You can order it for free because the Childminder Card allows free reserves (ie free ordering) of any item in stock in Kent Libraries - a great way to get books on a particular topic for instance! NB: If you are ordering via our website Libraries (http://www.kent.gov.uk/libraries) - remember to stick to the Kent Libraries catalogue, as books ordered from other authorities incur a charge
•You can borrow - for childminding purposes - any adult, teen and / or children’s material that is free (most items)For information, two things it doesn't allow:
•Cannot borrow any chargeable items eg DVDs and adult spoken word CDs
•Cannot use the Childminders card to book a public PC. This is because of accountability – need to use an individual (personal) ticket for this.

Ive been using my Library for years and the staff know me well in there and know I am a CM, I wonder why they have never told me about this?
Never mind, I know now and will applying for one :thumbsup:

mama2three
27-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Its the same here in Notts , just means I have even more books to forget to take back though!!

nipper
27-02-2013, 02:56 PM
50 books!!!:panic:

Mouse
27-02-2013, 03:12 PM
We've had this for years in our library, although I've never taken the maximum amount of books out :laughing:

It's very handy to have the no fine rule though, especially when you're returning an audio book 2 years late :blush:

mrstom
27-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I've got one for our library. We can borrow the usual amount of books (8) but we can keep them for longer (3 months instead of 3 weeks). I'd much rather be able to borrow up to 50 for a shorter period of time.

mrstom
27-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Gah! Why did it put a cool icon in there! Should have said 8!

lizduncan72
27-02-2013, 03:33 PM
I can have 20 items on my childminders card-dont get to keep them any longer though

tas
27-02-2013, 03:40 PM
I also have a childminders account I never borrow more than 10 books but I do borrow story sacks and oversize books which the children love :)

PixiePetal
27-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I have a ticket for my local library however I don't go there much now we have moved (4 miles away). I asked in the town I use now for shopping (4 miles in other direction) they were really funny as it is a different county - West Sussex as opposed to East :rolleyes: Not my fault I live near the border, they said its cos my coucil tax goes to East Sussex etc - yes but I shop weekly in the West Sussex town, use the bus and spend my money with them! They did let me have it in the end as I think they could see I was going to make a fuss :D

I only take out 12 max so I can keep track of them - love the little receipt you get from the machine, not lost any yet :thumbsup:

blue bear
27-02-2013, 04:02 PM
We can have 12 ove rthree months but no fine for late returns,can also borrow big books and story sacks but can only borrow children books not adult ones (thinking childcare one's etc)

christine e
27-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Its the same here in Notts , just means I have even more books to forget to take back though!!

and we can keep ours for up to a year tho mama2three

loocyloo
27-02-2013, 04:51 PM
hampshire do the same, not sure about north yorkshire - but between myself, ( DH who never uses his card! ), DD & DS i normally manage to get a fair few books!

i must ask next time i'm in the library! they know i'm a childminder, so i'm guessing they don't!

Bananabrain
27-02-2013, 05:26 PM
I've had one for years. They are slightly confused as to what and how many items I can take though! I was told that I couldn't put cookery books/ gardening books/ child development books on my childminding card as they were for 'personal use.':laughing:
Guess they don't know what childminders do!

Loushah
27-02-2013, 07:15 PM
They don't have 'childminder' cards at my library, however, I can register each child & be there guarantee. I can have up to 12 books, each child can have 8 books. I look after 13 children (not all at once)...so could potentially borrow upto 116 books...lol

lynncjt
27-02-2013, 09:12 PM
In Aberdeenshire I have a childminders card and can borrow up to 30 normal items, plus story sacks and resources. Don't have to pay to take out Children's DVDs and CDs. Mine is within walking distance so we go most weeks and once a month they have a book bug session. I can reserve books on-line but the librarians have to order the story sacks. Only allowed one of those out at a time - have Brown Bear, Brown Bear what can you see at the moment and 3 of the books so the mindees can have one each!