PDA

View Full Version : Practicalities - supervision

sing-low
27-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I am in the middle of registering and I have some questions about practical day to day care where things you're supposed to do seem to be contradictory.

Firstly, hygiene rules say that used nappies should go straight in an outside bin but how do you do that and not leave children unattended? My bin is not next to my door. Is it ok to leave the children briefly if the room is safe, would be max 20 seconds? Do I take them all with me each time I go to the bin? Should I move my bin or do I need to consider a nappy bin indoors? What do other people do?

Secondly, again related to supervision. If you're settling a baby, how do you deal with toddlers at the same time? Leave them briefly, take them with you? Again, what do others do? I have done all this with my own three children but of course it's different when looking after someone else's child.

Thanks.

jillplum
27-02-2013, 04:13 PM
The minded children need to be within your sight or hearing at all times. If your bin is in hearing distance then pop out and put the nappy in. If not then leave the bad with nappy in outside your door until you are all going out anyway or the children have gone. Settling babies do you mean if you have to go in another room? As long as you can see or hear the others then that is fine.

sarah707
27-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a small lined, lidded nappy bin next to the door - I double wrap and transfer the nappies to the big bin when I get a chance.

Babies sleep in the next room and I very gently encourage them to settle themselves so I don't need to be with them. I work closely with parents to explain what i am doing so they can maybe follow my lead at home if they, for example, lie with baby to get him to sleep.

Hth :D

The Juggler
27-02-2013, 10:20 PM
i throw my nappies, bagged up outside the front door. Then when I'm out there putting kids in the buggy, I pop them in th ebin.

when toddlers are little they all come upstairs to pop babies in the cot. We make the cot together say night night and go down.

mummyMia
28-02-2013, 05:02 PM
You don't have to be in the same room with the children all the time. As long as they are within your sight or hearing. You will soon get to know your mindees, in the same way that you do your own children. I had a little 2 year old who was very calm and well behaved. I would quite happily leave her playing in the sitting room with my dd for a minute, while I ran out of the room for something. I also had a 1 year old screamer who would become hysterical if he couldn't see me and was always climbing on things and running head first into walls. I couldn't leave him for a second and had to carry him on my hip everywhere.

My bin is near my door and I just pop out quickly, taking any little screamers with me and leaving the other mindees playing inside. At nap time, I put any older toddlers down first as they don't really need settling. Once they are asleep I am free to sit with a younger baby and settle or rock them to sleep in needed. :)