PDA

View Full Version : Headlice repellant

Tazmin68
27-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know if there is some form of repellant that I can spray onto a car seat. I have a child who I look after on behalf of ss due to neglect and frequently has headlice. I exclude then back and after about two weeks so are they. Another child caught headlice a couple of weeks ago not sure if from the child but parents are not amused. Because this child is part time plus others it means that other children use same car seat on other days. I thought that they don't live off the head but since found on Internet that they can stay alive on fabric.
Any ideas?????

Rolacolapink
27-02-2013, 12:56 PM
My two have just had headlice for the first time and I've found tea tree oil is quite effective as a deterrent but not sure how that would work with applying to a car seat. Perhaps a spray or dabbing some on neat with cotton wool!?

Tazmin68
27-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Yes we use tea tree shampoo as a family and touch wood nothing for 3 years now. My prob is a mindee where they keep coming back and as attended 3 days a week a different child uses same car seat on other days. I have a repellant spray but is for hair only not furniture. There seems to be quite a few on sale in us but nothing in uk.

Tealady
27-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Could you cover the head rest with a muzzie or something, like an old style Antimacassar. I would even spray a bit of the repellant spray on it too just for good measure.

eddie
27-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Asda used to sell a spray deterrent containing tea tree. Not sure if they still do.

Also amazon sell this Vosene Kids Advanced Conditioning Defence Spray Head Lice Repellent 150ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vosene-Advanced-Conditioning-Defence-Repellent/dp/B001RYSCF8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361972075&sr=8-2)

Got me itching now.................

phoenix2010
27-02-2013, 01:50 PM
I dilute about 10 drops of tea tree oil in a small spray bottle with water and spray my sons hair before school every morning as he came home with it twice, cheapest way of getting tea tree scent onto the hair , im not sure the shampoos are very effective as the hair doesnt smell strongly enough of it

since ive done this he hasnt had it , and its been about 9 months

whether its the tea tree I dont know

but that would mean spraying the minded children of course or suggesting it to parents

That isnt going to solve the problem of course and it needs sorting from the cause , I got rid of my sons lice by religiously combing with conditioner and a nitty gritty until all the eggs were gone and then i do it once a week as a preventitive measure

good luck

Tazmin68
27-02-2013, 02:02 PM
I did think of spraying the tea tree head lice repellant that I have onto seat but after reading label stating flamible I though better not. I am thinking of putting a hand towel over headrest part when this child uses it as I cannot find a repellant for fabric. Oh there is another option which is put the car seat in the freezer for a few hours but it means removing the food!!!!!!!!

Tealady
27-02-2013, 02:59 PM
I did think of spraying the tea tree head lice repellant that I have onto seat but after reading label stating flamible I though better not. I am thinking of putting a hand towel over headrest part when this child uses it as I cannot find a repellant for fabric. Oh there is another option which is put the car seat in the freezer for a few hours but it means removing the food!!!!!!!!

It would only be flamable whilst still wet.

chriss
27-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Maybe put a cloth over the seat for each child. At least then no one is singled out :)

kel1983
27-02-2013, 03:55 PM
My cousins gp said hair spray works wonders

Tazmin68
27-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't fancy the idea of spraying hairspray on car seat.

phoenix2010
28-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Hadnt considered it being flammable , but in all honesty its a diluted version , not neat tea tree oil so the risks are minimal, if at all , like the previous poster said it will be dry in seconds anyway

Im not sure there would be a specific repellant made for fabric , why would there be? , it doesnt make any sense , most people would be trying to get the lice off the child , not the fabric

Personally I would be asking whoever is responsible for the child to sort it out , and money is no excuse , a nitty gritty comb can be free through your gp and conditioner is 59p for a huge bottle

phoenix2010
28-02-2013, 06:56 PM
How to get a free nitty gritty comb through your gp

Nitty Gritty - Headlice and nits information (http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/site/howtogetaprescription.asp)

Katiekoo
28-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Am I missing the point or could you just put a clear plastic bag over the headrest part of the carseat when the infected child is using it?

Katiekoo
28-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Anything fabric covering the carseat is just offering the lice more fabric to burrow into, isn't it, surely?

AliceK
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I am certain that head lice cannot live in fabric and wouldn't go from the hair onto it anyway. I read an article about an experiment with a number of children and not one headlouse was found anywhere.

xxx

Tazmin68
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I am going to put a towel over seat when child uses it and make sure child wears a hat.

AliceK
01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
This is the experiment I was referring to:

"Head lice rarely leave the head. In fact in 1999, two Australian scientists studied the effectiveness of sweeping floors. Together, Speare and Buettener swept 100 classroom floors. These were the floors they knew were being used by children who were infected with head lice. When they studied the material they had swept up, they found not one head louse!

Interestingly, the children were taken offsite where their heads were inspected, and over 7.000 lice were found and removed from these heads. And even though 7,000+ head lice were found on the children’s heads, not a single louse was discovered on any of the floors. "

xx

mum24
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I know head lice are a nuisance, but really I don't think it is that bad to cope with. Our school here has had a constant years long battle with headlice.
I have started using Tea Tree shampoo for myself, but headlice don't seem to like me anyway, so I can't say if it really works or not. I wish I had known though that you could get a nitty gritty comb on prescription, I just bought one last week at at most £10.00!
Has anyone else noticed that some children just seem more prone than others? One of my daughters had to be treated every week, but my other children seldom got them. No idea what the difference was.
There are things that I find much worse, such as, impetago, and parents not being honest about when a child has been sick or ill at the weekend and still bringing them. Another thread I know, but much worse than a few lice.:)
Out of curiosity - does anyone exclude a child with nits? I never have but I know two childminders who do.

mrs coops
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I use vosene with the repellant on my dd hair and touch wood she hasn't had them I also use the detangling spray with it in plus hairspray ( only a quick spray ) which was a hairdressers suggestion x

AliceK
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I know head lice are a nuisance, but really I don't think it is that bad to cope with. Our school here has had a constant years long battle with headlice.
I have started using Tea Tree shampoo for myself, but headlice don't seem to like me anyway, so I can't say if it really works or not. I wish I had known though that you could get a nitty gritty comb on prescription, I just bought one last week at at most £10.00!
Has anyone else noticed that some children just seem more prone than others? One of my daughters had to be treated every week, but my other children seldom got them. No idea what the difference was.
There are things that I find much worse, such as, impetago, and parents not being honest about when a child has been sick or ill at the weekend and still bringing them. Another thread I know, but much worse than a few lice.:)
Out of curiosity - does anyone exclude a child with nits? I never have but I know two childminders who do.

I will exclude if treatment is not started straight away. As long as parents treat then I won't. Only ever had 2 children with them but one got them time and time again. I also use tea tree shampoo and conditioner and touch wood it seems to work, neither myself nor my children have had them.

xxx

Tazmin68
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
The problem I have is this child attends me through ss and one if their areas of concern is neglect in relation to headlice. Child is clear for a week and then again lice. I do not exclude as long as treatment has started. If I exclude I do not get paid as ss will only pay for when attended. All I can do is keep mentioning it to parent. We all use tea tree in our house and have no issues it is only because other children use the car seat when this child is not here. And I had read that lice can survive in fabric and carpets etx for 48 hours. I did have neither parent raise concern that their child had lice over half term and is questioning if it was from another mindee.

phoenix2010
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM

I dont think some children are more prone than others to be honest , I think its entirely down to who they are in contact with in school

if one of your children has a best friend that always has it and it never gets treated , chances are thats the child that will always seem to get it

tinkerbelle01
01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi one of my mums uses some thing called bay rum it`s a tonic you can spray on the hair and so far has never had head lice, it looks like the colour of tea she gets it from boots :)

lorettacritchet
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I have done extensive research on these little buggers. They will fall and live on anything like pillows/cushions, carpets, couches and as you know car seats. They will live up to three days before they die and if they are still alive, in your case, they attach themselves to the next head that would sit in that car seat. Once you know there is an outbreak, inform all parents, hoover and wash everything you can at 60 degrees, and immediately empty hoover.

I am sure there is a special nit/head lice website - try google. I am gutted I have lost it in my favourites!!!

Does anyone know if there is some form of repellant that I can spray onto a car seat. I have a child who I look after on behalf of ss due to neglect and frequently has headlice. I exclude then back and after about two weeks so are they. Another child caught headlice a couple of weeks ago not sure if from the child but parents are not amused. Because this child is part time plus others it means that other children use same car seat on other days. I thought that they don't live off the head but since found on Internet that they can stay alive on fabric.
Any ideas?????

MessybutHappy
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
The latest thing on the market is a mouse that you apply and leave on for eight hours, then simply wash out... If you had permission, could you use this? Expensive, but cheaper than loosing a days pay? Then it gets washed out at the end of the day, or it can be left on overnight and washed out in the morning. Very easy to use.

jackie 7
01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
The worst head full of live was a boy whose brother I nannied for. We were on holiday in turkey and while swimming I looked at his head. It was crawling. I have seen bad heads but this was the worst ever. When I got to deal with it I spent ages watching tv as I not combed him. Oh yes he went to Eton!!! Even posh kids get them.

phoenix2010
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
The latest thing on the market is a mouse that you apply and leave on for eight hours, then simply wash out... If you had permission, could you use this? Expensive, but cheaper than loosing a days pay? Then it gets washed out at the end of the day, or it can be left on overnight and washed out in the morning. Very easy to use.

Oh jeez , sorry but this made me do a double take , I love typos

you do mean a mousse and not a mouse dont you , i had visions of you putting a small rodent in a childs hair for 8 hours chasing nits around :D

lizduncan72
02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh jeez , sorry but this made me do a double take , I love typos

you do mean a mousse and not a mouse dont you , i had visions of you putting a small rodent in a childs hair for 8 hours chasing nits around :D

Love it!!! Sounds like a much more fun way to deal with nits than spending hours combing :)

MessybutHappy
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Ooops, yes, I did! Can you imagine! Thank you! Giggling....

Trpta108
02-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Agree. Could you get permission to treat the child yourself?

Tazmin68
02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I have child 3 days 9-1.30 and on 2 days we are at a group till 11.30, we then collect a nursery child and get home for lunch at 12 then we leave at 1 to take child home. I will ask mum if I can spray repellent to try and help the situation as long as mom keeps up with treating at her end.

pinky33
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
A hat maybe? Poor kid mist be itchy as.

Tazmin68
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Well

I have now given up got parent to sign permission form to confirm that I can comb and treat her hair when she comes. Arrived Tuesday with live lice and I combed and got rid of walkers, arrived yesterday and combed again and got rid of live lice. About 1pm in afternoon I field as if there was something in my hair combed and found one in mine. Fortunately when she comes which is after school run in morning there is no other children with me and as I take her home at 1,30 she leaves before school pick up and is term time only. It is the only way that I am going to be able to make sure that she is sorted.

phoenix2010
09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
its horrible isnt it , I found one in my hair the first time my son had them , but I just combed with the nitty gritty comba nd conditioner every morning in the shower and never found anymore , if you catch them early its not too bad , it is a nightmare when they have had it a long time and have long hair , but I think you are right to tackle it yourself if they cant be bothered , the only thing is perhaps the parents have it now so unless they treat themselves your mindee will just keep getting it , you will have to do it every 3 days :(

Tazmin68
10-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I know it will be down to me to always treat only way to stop spreading here. Because child is on a cp order I am able to speak to the other professionals involved. Hv told me Wednesday that lice has been an issue for over 2 years and one of the older siblings was on antibiotics due to scalp infection due to lice. sw have a case conference tomorrow and the neglect issue is so bad there is talk about taking all 5 children into care I was also told this a few weeks ago so I never know where I am with this contract. She arrived on tuesday i was told she was grumpy when i changed her nappy rash was so severe blisters no wonder .At least I can be apply about how child has come on since placed with me. She was like a rag doll when ever I picked her up to go into car seat etc or when changed her. She used to remind me of the baby in the nspcc advert of the baby standing up in his cot who does not cry as no one comes. She could not walk properly as was always kept in buggy or high chair. She now says a few words, laughs and explore to play and climbs into car seats and onto chairs for activities

phoenix2010
10-03-2013, 09:37 AM
aww bless her , how awful

I know going into care is never a great option and a last resort but neglect is so damaging, poor little mite
Sounds like you are doing a great job with her under difficult circumstances and it must be very rewarding , i hope that you get to continue caring for her whatever the outcome , its so important that they have some kind of stability
must be so rewarding to see her developing
please keep us updated x

jackie 7
10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
You are doing a wonderful job. That child had been given a chance of a real childhood thanks to you. It must be amazing to watch her change and find some happiness.

Tazmin68
13-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I have to keep reminding myself that what I am doing is worthwhile.

This week I got about 10 out of her hair on Monday, another 20 odd today. I have her again on Friday. I have written permission to treat her hair for lice from mom. She is just lucky that at the moment that as soon as I pick up child I do not have any others for 2 hours so I can spend the time combing through her hair. I am just so worried about losing other children should I miss anything and others leaving due to catching them. I could just go ahead and use a proper treatment but what's the point I would be paying out more fir treatment and as parent does not seen to be doing anything with the other 4 children at home it is just going to be repeating over and over again.

MessybutHappy
13-03-2013, 06:57 PM
You have the patience of a saint! Does the child have long hair? If so could you suggest that it's either cut or tied back? First option might make your task slightly quicker? If I were one of your parents I might be a bit annoyed, but I'd also count myself lucky that I'd found such a dedicated minder!

Velleity
13-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Once headlice are in the hair, they won't leave it to go onto a piece of fabric ^_^

Tazmin68
13-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I have read elsewhere that they can stay alive in fabric for upto 48 hours. Her hair Is tied into pony tail. The lice I got today are very small and pale in colour not dark so they were obvously recent hatch.

oxfordshirecm
13-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I look after a family of 4 and 3 out if 4 constantly have nits. 4th doesn't as it's a boy and has shaved head. Mum only treats the child that currently has nits so its a vicious cycle and really really frustrating.

nikki thomson
13-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I know it will be down to me to always treat only way to stop spreading here. Because child is on a cp order I am able to speak to the other professionals involved. Hv told me Wednesday that lice has been an issue for over 2 years and one of the older siblings was on antibiotics due to scalp infection due to lice. sw have a case conference tomorrow and the neglect issue is so bad there is talk about taking all 5 children into care I was also told this a few weeks ago so I never know where I am with this contract. She arrived on tuesday i was told she was grumpy when i changed her nappy rash was so severe blisters no wonder .At least I can be apply about how child has come on since placed with me. She was like a rag doll when ever I picked her up to go into car seat etc or when changed her. She used to remind me of the baby in the nspcc advert of the baby standing up in his cot who does not cry as no one comes. She could not walk properly as was always kept in buggy or high chair. She now says a few words, laughs and explore to play and climbs into car seats and onto chairs for activities

Ahh bless, so sad but at least you are giving her abit of stability, well done you. X

Tazmin68
13-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I tried to get the free nitty gritty comb from my gp but as my boys do not have lice I have been told no cannot have it. I have seen it or £6 on eBay which is at least cheaper than chemist so might try that.

phoenix2010
13-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I tried to get the free nitty gritty comb from my gp but as my boys do not have lice I have been told no cannot have it. I have seen it or £6 on eBay which is at least cheaper than chemist so might try that.

Definitely get the comb its an absolute life saver , so easy to use and gets everything out even tiny eggs

and please dont bother with the treaments , they dont work , they will kill the live lice but not the eggs , which will all hatch a few days later

stick with the nitty gritty and the conditioner , it does work , once the hair is nit free you only need to do it every 3 days , for a while just to see if they get reinfected really quickly and then once a week

my son has long hair , but luckily its not thick , i can imagine thats a nightmare , but be vigilant , lots of cheap conditioner and combing and it will pay off

I always draw the comb through the hair about 3 times and wipe off on some white toilet roll , you can see what is coming off then , and most importantly make sure you are combing right from the roots

let us know how it goes , sounds like you are starting to win the battle if they are getting smaller

Tazmin68
15-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Got the nitty gritty comb and did the child this morning I must have a perverse sense of achievement. I cleaned the comb off in the sink and put plug in so I could see how I was doing. I had a zoo in it I lost count at 80. Her hair was so clean and shiny afterwards. Just annoyed that it is family who gain from this as probably back to normal on Monday. All I can do on Mondays and Wednesdays is wet comb and on a Friday I am able to bath her and nitty gritty comb.

MessybutHappy
15-03-2013, 05:28 PM
You can nitty gritty the other days too, get some cheap spray in conditioner which also helps. Well done, keep going, by winning the battles you may yet win the war!!!

phoenix2010
15-03-2013, 07:06 PM
it really is an amazing comb isnt it , and it makes you realise how useless the rest are

hopefully you found it alot easier too

dont feel like you will be back to square one after you dont see her for a few days , you are making a massive difference , like you said you got loads out today

and once you get on top of it you only really need do it once a week :-) becasue you can catch them before it gets out of control

lorettacritchet
16-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Take any washable material ie pillows inside house/couch covers and car seats, wash at 60 degrees and if possible iron at high temp too. They can't survive high temperatures let alone with a head to feed on.

Any ideas?????

Tazmin68
16-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I use hand held stream cleaner on the car seat. Not much I can do about what goes on at home or with siblings all I can do is keep on top of situation while she is with me.

Tazmin68
18-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Well I must have done a reasonable job on friday as I said around 100 then. Change of routine today and bathed and nitty gritty again only 4 found. I am a bit pleased with myself.

MessybutHappy
18-03-2013, 08:43 PM
As you should be! I nitty gritty dry hair, just spray some leave in conditioner on as it makes it more comfy flute the child in question! We have a family in school who like to share their visitors so I have to check comb at least twice a week, and tend to do it as the kids read aloud to me...who said we can't multi-task!!!

Tazmin68
20-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Update done hair again today only 1 !!! I am chuffed to bits.

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Thats brilliant , well done

are the parents supporting your efforts , could they get a comb and do it once a week now that you have done all the hard work

it goes to show with the right tools , knowledge and perseverence you can keep on top of it

and that one that you fond may be a new one that just jumped on yesterday , well you caught it before it managed to do any damage , just doing it a couple of times a week can control it

Yay for you :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Tazmin68
20-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I told mom about getting the free comb but she has not done anything yet. I have printed the voucher off for her today so perhaps might take the hint. I have her a spray repellant last week. HV says that I am probably banging my head against the wall as been an issue with family for a number of years.

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Its hard to fathom isnt it ?

when my son had nits , it was all i could think about and did not rest until he was clear , I cant imagine ignoring it as it creeps me out so much , what a shame for the little one

Good job she has you sorting it out for her