View Full Version : Quick question when giving notice

27-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Long story short.... I gave notice to a family last night after I had struggled for three months trying to settling a baby. It was hard to do as three months is not a long time but baby was showing no signs of improvement and parents were not helping (mum would breast feed for four days then send baby to me for three 10 hour days without any milk just solids- so no wonder per baby wouldn't settle) it was effecting my dd and all the other mindees so it was the right thing to do.

Anyways the question is- I have given 4 weeks notice and wondered how it worked in regards to payment if the parents decide thy do not need a month and leave straight away (parent text this morning to say mindee is ill so won't be coming). I have just been paid from them so as it stands they don't owe me any money. I didn't take any retainer or deposit from them so nothing to return. Do I just need to except the 4 week loss of money as it was my decision to give notice in the first place?

27-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Good question and Ive never considered this

when Ive given notice to parents and they have chosen to leave before the 4 weeks is up
then Ive just sighed a relief and cut my losses

I think as with most minders , when you give notice its for a really good reason , like yours, and when they leave early its kind of a relief

Baffles me why Mum wouldnt express milk to send and at least try to help you settle little one :(

27-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I think mum was hoping this would happen as I know she didn't really want to go back to work but dad had said she had to.

Think I will just cut my losses as it will be a relief- was not looking forward to the next 4 weeks :/

27-02-2013, 10:01 AM
If it is your contract for 4 weeks notice then you are entitled to it. If they choose to leave they have to pay in full. But the childs space has to be available until the final day.

27-02-2013, 10:04 AM
sounds like she set it up to fail then maybe ?

yeah working a notice period can be awkward at the best of times , im doing it at the moment

mum gave notice as lo is starting 5 mornings a week at preschool and she needs a minder in the village where she lives , but shes very emotional and I think she feels guilty moving him, as hes very happy here :)

I think she also deep down thinks im offended , but im really not and to be honest hes more than ready to go , although i will miss him , its been 2 years :(

Good luck , hope it goes smoothly

27-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I had one do this, also didnt settle and parent decided what was the point in leaving Lo with me for another month being miserable.. And who could blame them?! I would be the same if it was mine. I didn't feel normal circumstances stood, and accepted immediate termination..
Was happy enough as I was miserable too! And could get straight on and fill the space. Think it's a risk you take when you give notice to a screamer and probably a relief!

27-02-2013, 12:49 PM
We gave notice last Night and parent is not coming back but paid for the month. It's their choice not to come back so fees stand. Don't make a loss hon just because they don't want to come back.

27-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Personally if it was me and I couldnt settle the child then I would accept immediate notice. I would not want to spend the next 4 weeks listening to a child being upset because I had insisted the parent work their notice.

A months fees can be alot to pay if your are not using the service.

I would probably breathe a sign of relief and move onwards :thumbsup:

27-02-2013, 01:45 PM
I once gave notice to a family and also had a 4 week notice period. The mum asked me if I would be happy to accept 2 weeks payment instead of 4 weeks, and in exchange we would terminate care immediately. I was very happy to agree to this, as it meant I got two weeks worth of pay but did not have to look after the children at all through the notice period. :)