PDA

View Full Version : Formula milk

eddie
26-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Can anyone remind me what the current guidelines are on preparing formula milk for babies. Should parents make up the bottles or provide sterile bottles and powder separately?

It's been a while since I did it and I've forgot! Not long till I get my brand new baby mindee (he'll be about 9 weeks old when I get him).

lisbet
26-02-2013, 04:38 PM
You can find the latest guidelines through the Free Resources tab at the top of the page. Enjoy your very small mindee! :)

christine e
26-02-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/formulaguidance.pdf

QualityCare
26-02-2013, 05:54 PM
As you don't know how much baby will drink each day l prefer parents to supply enough bottles for me (usually 2 large and 2 small) to keep and a small tin of milk so that l can make up the bottles as needed and sterilise them myself, milk shouldn't be made up and kept and if parents bring the powder in those small measured containers there is the risk of not having enough one day also its easy for parent to forget it one morning.

Jenna
26-02-2013, 08:13 PM
I've just had 8 week old start 2 days a week mum sent a tub of milk powder then fetches 4 bottles each time as she hasn't got enough for me to keep any. I make bottles up as and when required then sterilise what I have used.

RuthJ
26-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I have bottles, steriliser and formula here too so I can make it up when needed.

MessybutHappy
26-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I'd do whatever the parent wants, but ensure I had back up supplies! If it's breastmilk it can be even more important to have a spare feed or two in the freezer...can't pop and get some of that so easily!!! I've had bottles turn up half empty because they've leaked on the way too.

jillplum
27-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Once I Know what milk the baby is on I ask the parent to provide a couple of small ready to feed cartons to keep as a back up at my house.

eddie
27-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Lovely advice - thank you all so much!

I can't wait - I love the baby stage so much!! I get all the best bits and no sleepless nights!!:clapping:

mummyMia
27-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm jealous, I would love a little one like that. :)

christine e
27-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Once I Know what milk the baby is on I ask the parent to provide a couple of small ready to feed cartons to keep as a back up at my house.

I do this as well :thumbsup: