PDA

View Full Version : menu?? ideas

cara1235
26-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I am really struggling with healthy ideas that the children will eat at the moment is anybody willing to share a weekly menu so i can get some new ideas about what to do ??? All replies gratefully recieved xxx

chezzagriff
26-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Im having some trouble myself, so far I have:
Spag bol
homemade soup
sausage casserole
pesto pasta
tuna pasta salad
Jacket potato with cheese/beans

but again its finding the time to make it, think I will have to do it in batches and freeze it.

Tinkerbell1979
26-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I work on a 3 weekly basis like schools. Some of the stuff I cook (lunch and Dinners)

Med Chicken Casserole
Veg Casserole
Veg soup
Pasta with various sauce (cheese, Tom & Basil, Tomato, bolegnase)
Fish Fingers
Cod Fish Pie
Cod Fish Cakes
Cottage Pie
Sausage, Mash & veg
Scrambled Egg on Toast
Beans on Toast
Cheese & Onion Omelette
Cheese Croissants

HTH

Tinkerbell1979
26-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh and ratatouille is a massive fave and so cheap and easy to cook

mushpea
26-02-2013, 02:46 PM
invest in a slowcooker and it will make life easier. I used to cook for 8 children and would mainly use the slow cooker in it i would cook things like
beef, or chicken stew
chicken casserole
sausage casserole
shepherds pie then just bung mashed spud on top and grill till brown
curry
chilli
sausage and bean hot pot
soups
roast joints in it
bologase sauce which I would extra then make that in to lasagne
mince meat and potatoes
goulash

I would put spuds in chopped up with the casseroles and stews then maby serve crusty or herb bread from my bread maker

TNT
26-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Honey chicken with cous cous (really easy and quick, marinade small chunks of chicken in oil, soy sauce, honey and a bit of lemon juice for a few hours and then just stick it in a frying pan and cook for 5 mins) I have yet to meet a child who does not like this:)
Sausages, mash and veg
Chilli and rice (lots of dried cumin and coriander, not much chilli)
Chicken or vegetable fajitas

*daisychain*
26-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I have been using the nhs change for life meal planners , there is as app or just go on the website . Today we had baked macaroni with tomato , kids loved it :) you can send off for a meal planner too :) also use annabel Karmel recipe books.

Cottonsocks
26-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I get Good Food magazine too. I find this really useful to plan meals. Lots of ideas & many are freezable. I also use the slow cooker a lot. Other ideas taken from websites. I do a monthly menu that goes home at the end of the month before. All my parents have commented how their children will try & eat all kinds of food and dishes. (Wish it was so easy to get my own 11 yr old ds to stop being such a fussy eater!!!)

chezzagriff
26-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Think Im gonna have to give that honey chicken a try for me and the children, sounds nice! I will let you know how it goes.:D

teacake2
26-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Mine is very simple, I don't provide hot food:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Teacake

MessybutHappy
26-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Jamie oliver potato Wedges with anything, and his mini shell mint and pea pasta thingy....also pasta with mushrooms and a sauce of creme fraiche and cheap grated hard cheese, add ham or basil to ring the changes.

RuthJ
26-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Risotto with bacon, peas, sweetcorn and broccoli
Meatballs and spaghetti in tomato sauce
Roast dinners
Various casseroles / stews
Homemade minestrone soup (packed with veg)
Chicken with roasted medditeranean veg and cous cous
Homemade pizza with salad
Tuna Pasta bake
Fish pie
Sausage and mash and vegetables
Baked potatoes with various fillings
Homemade quiche
Sausage, baked beans, poached egg, homemade chips (cooked in oven with frylite - slimming world method. yum yum!)

lynncjt
26-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Some great ideas. Thanks very much! Plain old mince and tatties and veg are very popular here. I make large quantities of mince and freeze in portions.

cara1235
27-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Wow THANK YOU all soo much given me quite a few ideas :thumbsup: xxxx

smurfette
27-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Honey chicken sounds fab will give that a try! My dds love honey shredded chicken from the Chinese. Like this but with a light batter yum!

Tealady
27-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I've pinched from here

Typical Menus (http://www.chilterndaynursery.co.uk/typical_menus.php)

amirose
27-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi, I have attached our menu for this year. We have a Winter and Summer menu and the whole menu changes again in January after a chat with the kids. Mexican night on Tuesdays has been so popular that, as per kids request, is on both our winter and summer menu!

sonyach
27-02-2013, 01:40 PM
They all sound delicious, what time do you want me round (may have a few kids in toe:D)
:laughing:

smurfette
28-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Honey chicken marinating as we speak, might do some egg fried rice with it! Will let u know how it goes!

smurfette
11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Honey chicken was yum yum yum!! Thanks a. Mil!n

phoenix2010
11-03-2013, 11:20 AM
sausage and mash
sausage casserole
homemade pizza
chicken pasta
tuna pasta
fish cakes or fish fingers and potato waffles
spaghetti bolognese
fish pie
cottage pie
macaroni cheese
lasagne
cauliflower cheese

then just add veg, mine tend to like , sweetcorn, baby carrots , garden peas

for desserts we have frozen yogurt mostly but occasionally chocolate mousse

Daisy1956
11-03-2013, 07:34 PM
I take a look at the BBC food website, some good recipes and you can put in ingredients for a recipe idea.

Grantham cmg
11-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Getting the children to help make the meals sometimes helps, we make our own fish fingers and chicken nuggets.
My slow cooker gets used alot too, its a god send on days when i'm really busy, and smells yummy when we get home from the school run.
Pasta with philadelphia cheese, veg and chopped sausage goes down well.
The NHS 'change for life ' website is useful, i sent for the menu planner , which has meal ideas for breakfast , lunch and tea.
Good old roast dinner, with veg and gravy is a winner every time here !!!!
Hope its given you some inspiration, i know how you feel , sometimes its difficult to think of new and exciting meals that the children will enjoy.x:)