PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to draw up a contract for casual minding?

christine f
26-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi
Im a new childminder so I ratios arent a problem. I perent wants me to look after her 1 year old one day a week to just give her a break,but on a casual basis.

I will except because Im not in the position to turn any money down but I dont want to draw up a contract just for this.

Does anyone know if this is allowed? I suppose im just babysitting but in my own home.

Any help would be great

x

maryp0ppins
26-02-2013, 02:18 PM
You will defo need a contract writing up otherwise if anything happened to the baby your insurance would not be valid. This is what I have always been lead to believe anyhow, hopefully someone will give better advice x

maryp0ppins
26-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Also I would be inclined to write on a contract that your happy to have the lo on a casual basis but if business should pick up you either offer them a permanent Monday slot that they pay each week or you will have to give the space to another family. Don't get tied into a flimsy contract with here & there days in case something bigger & better comes your way!!

SDC34cr
27-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Hi
Im a new childminder so I ratios arent a problem. I perent wants me to look after her 1 year old one day a week to just give her a break,but on a casual basis.

I will except because Im not in the position to turn any money down but I dont want to draw up a contract just for this.

Does anyone know if this is allowed? I suppose im just babysitting but in my own home.

Any help would be great

x

I started out this way and have remained this way as I found I had lots of parents in the area who needed casual care. I only charge parents when children attend and don't charge if they don't come. It was not my intention to continue this way but I am fortunate not to need a regular income. I have been doing this for one and a half years and my daughter works with me. We have about 35 children on our books and have at least 15 different children each week. Others just come as and when needed. We have now almost filled up on children that come regular days. Some children come 1 day others come 2 days, I only have 1 child that comes 5 days. This has worked really well and I have so far managed to fit everyone in. I have had to do contracts for all of them. I'm with ncma and was told that if I didn't use their contracts I wouldn't be fully insured so I would check insurance. I just adapt the contract to my way of working and cross through lots of it as it doesn't all apply. I have some that I review each year and others I review3 monthly. Others are written on that this is a casual contract but I will give 4 weeks notice of any change to it. I get parents to sign it and staple any amendments to it, signed again. Hope this helps and good luck.

christine e
27-02-2013, 06:47 AM
If you are with NCMA and don't use their contracts then they would not take up a legal case (non payment for example) on your behalf but it doesn't affect your PL insurance

AliceK
27-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I do adhoc minding if I have a space that day. You will def need all child details and permissions etc. I also always do a contract, it seems like a hassle but I'd rather be covered for everything and anything.

xxx

jillplum
27-02-2013, 01:50 PM
If you are with NCMA and don't use their contracts then they would not take up a legal case (non payment for example) on your behalf but it doesn't affect your PL insurance

This si what I was lead to beleive too.