PDA

View Full Version : New changes & setting up as a CM in 2014. How will I be affected?

Owl
25-02-2013, 10:45 PM
The title says it all really. But really would love some advice.

I'm 25, mother to a little boy who is 3 in June and currently expecting another bundle in Sept 2013.

I am a Level 3 qualified Nursery Nurse. I've worked in schools, nurseries and currently work in maternity. I have a wide range of skills and knowledge and I'm proud of my experience considering my age.

In June 2014 I want to set up as a CM. I'm currently completing my CYPOP5 course, have a first aid course booked for June 2013, currently in talks with my land lord regarding childminding in my current property and even looking at 7 seater cars.

My worry is agencies, legislation and regulators.

I was going to apply for my OFSTED registration in January 2014. However, I'm under the impression CM's won't be regulated by OFSTED from September 2013? (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I'm aware I don't need to joiny an agencies (yet!) but I'm panicking. This is my lively hood. I can't afford two children in childcare so becoming a CM has always been my plan after baby no.2. Been planning it since 2011.

I need, nurture and reassurance from all you lovely, experienced CM's out there. I also need frank, honest advice about the possible challenges I may be facing when setting up.

My maternity pay will end May 2014, so I need some sort of income from June 2014.

Thank you so much for reading. Looking forward to your replies :)

caz3007
26-02-2013, 08:54 AM
From what I understand we will still be regulated by Ofsted in September as the agency scheme is only being piloted in some areas and think its going to come into force from September 2014 nationwide, but no one really knows whats going to happen re Ofsted and who you would apply too and what its really going to mean for childminders.

I hope you manage to continue with your plans :)

jo.jo76
26-02-2013, 09:00 AM
The agency model is being piloted from September 2013 to come in for 2014. As you are already doing your cypop I would say start you registration at the end of 2013, once you are registered you don't need to take anyone on until you are ready

Owl
26-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I hadn't thought about it from that angle. I think once CYPOP and my first aid is completed I'll get the ball rolling with registering. It makes sense then as I will still be registering with ofsted at this stage. I feel silly for not thinking about it like that! Lol! Think there's a little bit of baby brain going on.

Any further advice will be appreicated :)

jillplum
26-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I would register as soon as you can.