PDA

View Full Version : Ratios

cbshoat
25-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi
I am new to childminding and under the impression that the current rations are 6 under 8's with a max of 3 under 5 and a max of thse 3 to be under 1.

Is this correct?

I know of many childminders who have 5 or 6 2 and three year ols at once and its confusing me

Christine

Wheelybug
25-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I think you missed out one of your number ones :-) , You are right its a maximum of 6 children under 8 at any one time. Of these 3 can be under 5 and of these 3, '1' can be under 1.

You can care for more children under 5 if you have a variation. The only reasons you can vary your numbers are to take on siblings of children already in your care or to provide continuity for children already in your care - say for example a parent has their days at work changed and they ask you to take their child on a day that you already have 3 children. You can vary your numbers to do this, as the child is already in your care, but you need to let parents know and carry out a risk assessment to ensure you can still meet all the children's needs. Saying that though,even if you vary your numbers you still can't go over 6 under 8 at any one time. This might be why the other childminders have so many. I have 4 on a thursday under 5 because one of my parents changed their hours at work.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more!

jillplum
25-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes that ratio is correct BUT in certain circumstances and for existing children or siblings of existing children you can grant yourself a variation.

cbshoat
27-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Yes that ratio is correct BUT in certain circumstances and for existing children or siblings of existing children you can grant yourself a variation.

So just to clarify, I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old myself. If i take on a 2 year old and a 1 year old and then one of their parents has anther baby, I would be ok to accept, thus giving me 1 under 1, a 1 year old, two 2 year olds and a 6 year old? Sorry, I'm sure i'll get there eventually :-/

jillplum
27-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Yes you could do that as its existing family not new business. You would have 4 under 5 and 1 over 5. You could have another between the age of 5 and 8 too!

blue bear
27-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes that scenario would work,but always think carefully it's a lot of work, how would you manage if all the children were having an off day, what about putting, what if there was an emergency how would you manage all the children.best to start off with small numbers and build up.