PDA

View Full Version : Help! Potty training!!

littleDs31
25-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Advice needed!! Just wondering how everyone deals with potty training? I have a wet patch on carpet already!!! :(

jillplum
25-02-2013, 01:31 PM
A lot of childminders have policy for potty training. I expect the parents to have done at least a week at home first and to be having success most of the time. The child needs to know when they need to use the potty and be able to get there in time. I ask for spare clothes and for them to wearing things they can easily get up and down by themselves.

JCrakers
25-02-2013, 01:41 PM
The joys :)

A lot of people don't like pull-ups but I use these for the first few days to stop this happening. They learn the up and down feeling of the pull-ups but use the potty. I also find them useful for when we go out otherwise a wet buggy isn't great.

After a few days I then use proper pants and if the child is ready then pot training can be achieved with a week to 10days...if not then its a long haul

mushpea
25-02-2013, 01:53 PM
for the health and hygine of others child needs to be at least 90% dry and clean before wearing pants here, I amhappy for them to wear pull ups and I will encourage and assist in the use of the toilet but I am not having a dirty home through accidents, having said that the child who has been dry here for aat least 2 months has had to major accidents this morning! luckily in my hall where its washable

littleDs31
25-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Lo has used the potty for the rest of the day. Parent is training lo by not wearing any pants, is this acceptable in a cm setting I know it wudnt be in a nursery?

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Lo has used the potty for the rest of the day. Parent is training lo by not wearing any pants, is this acceptable in a cm setting I know it wudnt be in a nursery?

Based on safeguarding issues I wouldn't recommend it in a childminding setting, and also from a health and safety perspective how are you going to stop germs in your own home.

A big part of a child's potty training is learning to pull clothes up an down, and knowing when he need to go.

I like most comments above have a toilet training policy which states must be started over at least 5 days at home. Upon returning to my setting I insist on pull ups until the child is used to going to the toilet in my setting and is for the majority of the time is clean and dry.

littleDs31
25-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Ok, so I've spoken to the parents and will write policy tonight. Thanks for the advice everyone :)