PDA

View Full Version : What next..?

Binney
25-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone - after a short delay, I have finally received my registration certificate today! Very pleased.

But now I'm wondering what happens between now and getting my first client. In my area, the local authority visits with an NCMA toolkit (I've called and am waiting for them to get back to me and arrange a date). I also know that I need to get my public liability. What else?
Do I need to tell my mortgage provider?
Will this affect my home and contents insurance? Do I need to tell my h&C insurance providers?
Do I register as self-employed right away or when I get my first client?
Is their anything else I have forgotten?

Thank you!

AgentTink
25-02-2013, 01:03 PM
You do need to have your home insurance details changed to say you are working from home, it didn't change my price but this may be different with different companies.

the same with your car if you have one.

i didn't tell my mortgage provider, not too sure if they would need to know.

i wouldn't get insurance until you have your first client lined up, and it can be sorted quickly over the phone. However you may want to look at different options available and do a bit of research in regards to which is the best option for you.

I did get myself registered as self employed early on and started paying class 2 NI contributions at approx £11 per month. I think you have 1 month from starting work to inform them, however may be best to read thought he section on the forum entitled bookkeeping/accounts/tax

you don't inform tax credits until you start working, do this as soon as do to avoid any issues further up the line

i would start thinking about how I would set out my observation and how I will show a child's progress.

I would also have a really good read through the free resources section found at the top of this page, particully the section called free downloads. Link to it is below

Free Childminding Resources (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/)

hectors house
25-02-2013, 01:35 PM
You may find that when you notify your house and contents insurance companies that they won't insure you any more for accidental damage.

Think you have 3 months to notify inland revenue, I would start advertising now you have your Ofsted Registration through and liability insurance is quick to organise so do some research as to which company you want to use - if you are getting NCMA toolkit does that come combined with the insurance as a package?

You could create an info sheet about your charges, hours you are willing to work, a little bit of info about yourself, briefly mention policies (just names of policies) you have, mention the EYFS - this is useful for any parents who come for a visit to take away with them, so they don't have to remember everything you told them.

Have you looked at writing any policies yet? - in free downloads I think there is a list of essential policies that you MUST have.

How exciting that you can think about getting your first mindees.

Binney
25-02-2013, 07:24 PM
You do need to have your home insurance details changed to say you are working from home, it didn't change my price but this may be different with different companies.

the same with your car if you have one.

i didn't tell my mortgage provider, not too sure if they would need to know.

i wouldn't get insurance until you have your first client lined up, and it can be sorted quickly over the phone. However you may want to look at different options available and do a bit of research in regards to which is the best option for you.

I did get myself registered as self employed early on and started paying class 2 NI contributions at approx £11 per month. I think you have 1 month from starting work to inform them, however may be best to read thought he section on the forum entitled bookkeeping/accounts/tax

you don't inform tax credits until you start working, do this as soon as do to avoid any issues further up the line

i would start thinking about how I would set out my observation and how I will show a child's progress.

I would also have a really good read through the free resources section found at the top of this page, particully the section called free downloads. Link to it is below

Free Childminding Resources (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/)

Thank you very much for this AgentTink! Very helpful and much appreciated. I've got my obs forms, etc sorted and have trialled Babys Days so will be using that too. Need to get all the other stuff sorted. Thanks again for your advice!

Binney
25-02-2013, 07:33 PM
You may find that when you notify your house and contents insurance companies that they won't insure you any more for accidental damage.

Think you have 3 months to notify inland revenue, I would start advertising now you have your Ofsted Registration through and liability insurance is quick to organise so do some research as to which company you want to use - if you are getting NCMA toolkit does that come combined with the insurance as a package?

You could create an info sheet about your charges, hours you are willing to work, a little bit of info about yourself, briefly mention policies (just names of policies) you have, mention the EYFS - this is useful for any parents who come for a visit to take away with them, so they don't have to remember everything you told them.

Have you looked at writing any policies yet? - in free downloads I think there is a list of essential policies that you MUST have.

How exciting that you can think about getting your first mindees.

Hi Hectiors House! Thanks for taking the time to reply :-) Homes and contents insurance is interesting as I'm with Halifax and I'm sure I read somewhere that they won't cover childminders so need to look into this. NCMA toolkit does not include insurance but does include their contracts which I would need to use if I want to be covered by their liability - or so I believe. The only other provider I know is Morton Michelle? Is that right? Will do some research.

I am a bit anal when it comes to paperwork so I already have written P&Ps and an info pack although I do need to refine the latter so will get on that and start advertising too.

Very exciting, yes, but also slightly nerve wrecking! It's actually happening! Aargh - lol. Thanks again!