PDA

View Full Version : With all the possible changes...wonder where we will all be in a year's time

clorogue
24-02-2013, 09:29 PM
With things possibly changing, I was just wondering where we will all be or what we will be doing.....whether we will be going along with it, or moving on.....obviously we can't think that far ahead as you never know what is around the cormer!

blue bear
24-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Well I'm on the just in case plan, learning to touch type and taking a computer course to update my skills. Been putting the word around in local nurseries and children's centres.been looking at tesco and wait rose but nothing going there. Can't see me doing this once agencies get a hold.

jackie 7
24-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Well I fancy the dole but as a childless person I won't do too well. Anyone want their children adopted?

jo.jo76
25-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I was thinking about this earlier. I think if the agencies come in, then I'll stay at home with my daughter till she starts school and then look for a nursery or school job and possibly carry on with my PGCE, if I cannot be my own boss any more. Or maybe get a job in the agency! lol

FussyElmo
25-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I WILL still be childminding as an independent none of my parents are going anywhere (fingers crossed). They certainly wont be paying extra to an agency.

jillplum
25-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Same here fussyelmo. I will be doing just as I am now unless the agancy can prove to me how I will benefit!

loocyloo
25-02-2013, 08:01 AM
like fussy elmo & jill plum, i will be childminding as an independant - all my children are ( as far as anyone can tell ) long term ( next anticipated vacancy is sept 14 AND its been filled !!! LOL !!! ( theoretically anyway !!! ) no parent will want to start paying an agency.

if it doesn't turn out that way, then i will turn myself into a 'micro nursery' ... doing exactly the same as i am now!

jillplum
25-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Right so thats fussy elmo, loocyloo and jillplum setting uo our own brand of national micro nursery! Who wants to buy a franchise for their area :D

Tunja
25-02-2013, 08:45 AM
I WILL still be childminding as an independent none of my parents are going anywhere (fingers crossed). They certainly wont be paying extra to an agency.

Same here. I might just up my fees too as a bespoke childcare service. You get private schools why not early education too. Perhaps I should double them to £10/hour. Or should I charge by the term like they do. So that is £5500 per term.

Tunja

jackie 7
25-02-2013, 09:13 AM
I like the micro nursery idea. We could also think about a co-operative. I would stay in childminding as an Independant for as long as I can. We could make a big thing about saving parents money by not having to pay fees to an agency. A clever person could set up an independant inspection group.

jillplum
25-02-2013, 09:16 AM
The Govt has allowed free schools to be set up so why not free childcare.

Mouse
25-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I'll still be here, doing the same as I am now.

I have seen lots of changes over the years, all of which we've accepted and adapted to. When I first started out there was no Ofsted, no Birth to Three or EYFS, no graded inspection, no first aid courses, no tax credits, no funded hours, no LA early years support. Not all change is bad or a reason to turn away from childminding. If you want to stick with it you learn to work with what you have.

AliceK
25-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I will carry on as I am now so long as I am not forced to join an agency. I am self employed and I like the freedom I get with that. I am quite capable of finding my own parents, doing my own paperwork and managing my own accounts, I do not need any help thank you, and no-one is going to take that away. If they do and I have to stop being self employed then I will go back to nannying.

xxxx

bunyip
25-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Me? :confused:

Still here, planning to elope with Fussy. :thank you:

FussyElmo
25-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Me? :confused:

Still here, planning to elope with Fussy. :thank you:

Is that a proposal? Be still my beating heart. See stalking can get you the results you want :laughing:

sandy64
25-02-2013, 11:02 AM
im staying as an independent childminder will not have an agency taking over me:panic: am a little worried as ive 2 going to school this September so hope I can fill the places:panic:

JCrakers
25-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I will carry on for now as I'm full and I can't see my parents leaving.

Then when they leave for school or other reasons and I don't fill my spaces due to not being part of an agency then I will stop childminding.
Real shame but I'm not joining an agency and giving up my self employed status .

So I might get a job in a shop or a small office job...yawn

nipper
25-02-2013, 11:21 AM
"Ofsted registered Independent Childminder"

I like the sound of that!

toddlers896
25-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I also hope ime still doing the same in a years time. I wont be happy if I have to change after all the hard work ive done in the last year to start my own business.

jillplum
25-02-2013, 12:59 PM
"Ofsted registered Independent Childminder"

I like the sound of that!

Yes I like the sound of that too :clapping:

Heaven Scent
25-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I will carry on for now as I'm full and I can't see my parents leaving.

Then when they leave for school or other reasons and I don't fill my spaces due to not being part of an agency then I will stop childminding.
Real shame but I'm not joining an agency and giving up my self employed status .

So I might get a job in a shop or a small office job...yawn

These are my plans too - I'll still join the fight - I won't go quietly even if its not for a few years yet - LOL

WibbleWobble
25-02-2013, 01:13 PM
i wish to remain independent.

other than that i will be hiring out Mr Wobble.....

wibble x

Rubybubbles
25-02-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm going to become a crazy cat lady, open a cattery and maybe have a few more dogs and look after guinea pigs too!

Bet I get paid better for it:laughing:

sigh

SYLVIA
25-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm carrying on until I run out of mindees the same way as I am doing now. By that time parents will be so fed up with the bad service from agencies that they will all come flooding back and Truss will be a name lost in the past. Unless her plans lead to so many bad headlines then she will be remembered in history as Truss the Terrible

Tazmin68
25-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I plan to carry on. Like others I will remain self employed and independent. I have no plans to join an agency. If fis carrys on I will still get business and also through childcare.co,uk.

mushpea
25-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I hope to carry on and be an independant but I suppose it depends on how things play out, if it means I get no work because the agencies are taking it all and giving it away then I may to think about joining one but I really dont want to,, I dont intend on charging less and having more children either as I charge my rate to reflect my years of experiance and my qualifacations.

The Juggler
25-02-2013, 01:51 PM
i wish to remain independent.

other than that i will be hiring out Mr Wobble.....

wibble x

my biggest worry though wibble is that we'll have a big or lots of local agencies and all parents using them as it's an easier option = they do all the initial work screening for them. Therefore - parents will bypass independent minders - or the large majority will :panic:

second to have individual inspections - you will have to pay - they haven't given an idea of costs but recently when there was talk of how much minder inspections cost compared to nursery ones (on a per child cost basis) it wasn't cheap :panic:

watgem
25-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I might look into being a registered nanny, but I love the idea of micro nurseries/childminding co-ops, wish you all lived closer to me lol :)

hello kitty
25-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Me?

I gave notice to all my parents last week, my last working day is 22nd March 2013.

This is just the straw that broke the camels back, lots of personal family stuff going on, not all bad by any means. :)

merry
25-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm also planning to carry on independently as long as I can, as is everyone else I know.

:)

mummyMia
25-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I will also just carry on independently. As long as I am able to set my own fees, choose my own mindees and still get enough business then I will be happy. :)

balijay
25-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Apologies for seeming thick, but I don't get how agencies are proposing to do all the initial legwork for parents? Surely parents will still want to visit each individual childminder and make their own mind up as to who is suitable to look after their child, just like they do now?

I have no plans to be joining any agency. I have made a really successful business for myself without any help from a network/development officer or similar, with nearly all my work coming via recommendation by existing parents - an agency won't alter that.

cathtee
25-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I intend to stay independant, all of my mindees over the last 22 years have all come from recommendations and hopefully this will continue.

SammySplodger
25-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Staying Independent for as long as possible. There are other CMs elsewhere having ideas about a Plan B already - Independent Childminding Agencies, run as non profit / voluntary / Coops etc

Creative thinking!

Don't give up yet!

It ain't over until the fat lady sings....,

Carla Watts
25-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Ooooooooookayyy, think I have missed some thing very vital here but eh??? what are you all talking about???

FussyElmo
25-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Ooooooooookayyy, think I have missed some thing very vital here but eh??? what are you all talking about???

Elizabeth truss more great childcare. Increased ratios for nurseries/cms. Introduction of agencies for children. Removal of funding from las to ofsted.

Have a good lokk at the campaigns and petitions section

MessybutHappy
25-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Still here, still doing the job no matter what, I signed a contract with my parents and I'll keep up my end!