PDA

View Full Version : snack two can have one cant what do I do

mushpea
24-02-2013, 04:46 PM
at the moment I have a 4yrold 3 days a week part days, from this week his parents need me to have him all day thats fine but after school about 4pm we do snack time, parent dosent want this child having snack as they wont eat their dinner , so how do I deal with this, its not fair to tell the others no more snack time but it seems unfair that this other little fella cant have it, he can still play whilst they eat in a different room as I can hover and he is as good as gold but it just seems unfair on him,

Helen79
24-02-2013, 04:53 PM
what time does he go home? Would parents be happy if you did snack time earlier and give him a really small portion so he's not missing out.

mushpea
24-02-2013, 05:01 PM
2 days he will got at 4pm so that will be ok as the others can have it once he's left but one day he's here till 5pm same as them, they dont want him having anything which is why I fell mean about it ,

Mrs Scrubbit
24-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Hi perhaps you could ask if he could have a couple carrot sticks,apple slices etc anything on these lines that are not that filling but will give him something to chew on whilst the others are eating x

jillplum
24-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I would point out to the parents that he will be the only one not having something and ask if there is anything he could have? Maybehe could have a little part of his tea at snack time then the rest when he gets home? Surely one cracker or a piece of fruit wouldnt fill a 4 year old so much that he wouldnt eat any tea. If the parent still says no then I would explain to the child why he hasnt got anything and let him play in another room.

hectors house
24-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Agree with others, surely half an apple or a handful of grapes aren't going to fill him up - I always said to my own children "the fruit bowl is always open" whether that was 10 mins before tea or 10 mins after.

christine e
24-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I would try and come to some sort of compromise with parents on this one - on the two days he leaves at 4 pm give the others a snack after he has left on the day he stays until 5 request that he is allowed snack. Think parents would be very unreasonable if they didn't agree to this

Cx

blue bear
24-02-2013, 06:57 PM
It's a long time from lunch til 5 o'clock or whenever he will finally get tea, I'd be saying he has to have a light snack in that time,cucumber slices and a cup of milk that sort of thing.

mushpea
24-02-2013, 07:28 PM
hes not aloud snack as he plays around with his tea if he has anything between lunch and tea, I think some of it is an attention thing at tea time as he will do it at lunch with me too but I just ignore him and tell him its up to him if he its but it will be him thats hungry, I then ignore him and ususaly he gets over his strop and eats but at home they pester him and feed him so he gets lots of attention from it, they find he eats a lot better if he dosent have snack.
I wont feed him sanck if they dont want him to have it as its unfair on him to go home not hungry enough to eat his tea then get told off for it, I think I will just have to tell him that mum and dad say no snack here as it will be dinner when you get home.

jillplum
24-02-2013, 07:34 PM
It does sound a bit like an attention thing or he maybe doesnt want to eat as he feels they are forcing him. See what parents say.