PDA

View Full Version : Do you work when you have a cold?

freckleonear
24-02-2013, 04:14 PM
I am going down with hubby's cold. Do I need to let parents know that I'm ill? I look terrible when I have a cold, as my eyes get swollen and stream with tears, so they're bound to notice when they arrive. I could maybe let them know that I have a cold but am willing to work, and leave the decision up to them. What does everyone else do?

melco
24-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I still work and its in my policy that I will work if I have a cold. Only will not work if I have sickness bug etc. Same goes for the mindees where I will look after them if they have a cold but not something like chicken pox. Hope you feel better soon x

shortstuff
24-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I agree with melco i work with a cold but not with a tummy bug.

Mouse
24-02-2013, 04:28 PM
In 17yrs of childminding I have taken 6 days off sick. I have to be confined to my bed before I cancel the day's work. When I'm unwell parents really aren't that concerned. I've opened the door in the morning looking like death warmed up, or with no voice whatsoever, but as long as they can drop their children off, they really don't give it a second thought! They rarely even mention it, even though it's obvious I'm not well.

Unless you have a child in your care who needs to avoid colds, I wouldn't bother telling parents. Just plan an easier day for yourself & keep topped up with paracetamol.

blue bear
24-02-2013, 04:31 PM
agree with Mouse parents probably wont notice, take pain killers and carry on if we closed for every cold we would never be open.

hectors house
24-02-2013, 04:39 PM
I would just tell them arrive that you don't feel on top form and kids may be watching tv more than normal and if they don't like it they can make other arrangements for Tuesday. Have only had one day off sick in 7 years, and boy was I sick!

janminder
24-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I still work with a cold which luckily I very rarely get (touching wood quickly).

Little Puddings
24-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I work when I have a cold too, only off if sickness bug and when I had an episode of vertigo I had to send all kiddies home as the room was spinning making me unable to move.

jillplum
24-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Yep I just dose up on paracetemol and get on with it. Parents often say oh you sound full of cold poor thing but still leave the children here. A long walk in the fresh air might help you and make the children have a nice long nap.

sharonmanc
24-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I carrry on if a cold, I am closed tomorrow as I started with the D of D&V on sat, and still a bit off this morning, so not going to chance passing anything on tomorrow, plus I prep and cook food etc, and I have to follow the guidelines First time I have closed since I started minding almost a year ago

freckleonear
24-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Brilliant, I really don't want to take any time off so thanks for all the replies. Part of me felt a bit guilty about passing on germs but of course it's nothing compared to the amount of bugs going round a nursery!

funemnx
24-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I have had a cold for 2 weeks now, just going into the 3rd week - parents say 'oh, have you got a cold?' :rolleyes:

If I had to take time off for my cold, I'd have lost 3 weeks wages and parents would have no care! :panic:

jillplum
24-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Brilliant, I really don't want to take any time off so thanks for all the replies. Part of me felt a bit guilty about passing on germs but of course it's nothing compared to the amount of bugs going round a nursery!

Its quite likely that you got it from one of the little ones anyway. :D

cathtee
24-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Me too, only take time off if I can't get out of bed with d&s with colds I just keep warm and take paracetamol and have stay at home play.

loocyloo
24-02-2013, 07:45 PM
assorted parents and myself are currently comparing how long we've had our cold, how it has affected us - so far, everyone ( including me ) has needed at least one day in bed, and week of early nights! we've all got a nasty cough and losing our voices ...

the children are all fine :laughing:

SYLVIA
25-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I tell parents that I will care for mindees when they have a cold and that I will work if I have one. However if my cold is really bad I tell them and let them make the decision. A fornight ago, I had such a bad cold that I actually cancelled the LOs on the Monday. The first time in 15 years and I still felt awful!

Rubybubbles
25-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Yup plug through and dose up on meds here too