PDA

View Full Version : Nanny or childminding?

littleDs31
24-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Has anyone considered leaving CM to become a Nanny? Are there any benefits working as a Nanny rather than a CM?

sophieg
24-02-2013, 11:36 AM
I was a nanny for 12 years before being a cm,I was a senior nursery nurse between that. Nannying is good. Better money but can be really lonely and also a lot of the parents are utterly bonkers and make the strangest demands of you. It is nice to have the one to one with the kids but I prefer cm now. Hope that helps xxx

blue bear
24-02-2013, 02:36 PM
I've never been a nanny, I'm a childminder because I like to do my own thing, be at home for my family, have multiple families and only take on part time children. The thing that puts me off nannying is the extra duties like house work and cooking and being employed so they can tell you what to do.

jillplum
24-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I have been a nanny before but if was for a friend and I loved it. Now I dont think I would like to work for just one family in case I didnt get on with them.

sophieg
24-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Traditionally a nanny doesn't do housework. Just tidying up after the kids and doing their washing and ironing and cooking. Some do,do housework but that's usually for extra money or if kids are at a school.

Rayin
25-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Traditionally a nanny doesn't do housework. Just tidying up after the kids and doing their washing and ironing and cooking. Some do,do housework but that's usually for extra money or if kids are at a school.

It's true that they only do kids housework but depending on how many kids you look after that can be a lot! I am a nanny (previously was a nursery nurse) and spend most of my working days doing their laundry, ironing, putting clothes away, changing their beds once a week, cooking. I look after three boys. I don't do a lot of play or have time to do activities/facilitate learning experiences. I feel more like a babysitter with children's chores. I'm not enjoying it and am considering leaving to go into CM actually! Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose!