PDA

View Full Version : Considering childminding

bizzyizzy
23-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Looking at the possibility of childminding appears at first glance overwhelming.
I am looking for a career change and would like to know how to go about gathering all the information I need to consider this possibility.
There seem to be many hoops to jump through. Can someone help me? I am aged 55 and would look forward to any training that I would need to/courses that I would need to complete. Am I too old?

sarah707
24-02-2013, 10:28 AM
It's not that bad! :laughing: And no you are not too old if you are physically fit enough to pick up children and generally healthy!

Yes it's a steep learning curve - but a good course should prepare you and there is a lot of support on here to guide you. :D

Samcat
24-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Check your local authority's website re their information on childminding. They offer Childminding Briefing Meetings, which is the first thing you need to do. So you need to book yourself one. They'll give you all the information you need to know about what's involved and answer any questions you may have, then you can decide whether or not to proceed. :)

jillplum
24-02-2013, 11:57 AM
No you are not too old I am 54 and another minder Ai know is 59 and we dont have any problems. In fact a lot of parents like their children to be looked after by a grandmother substitute :laughing:

blue bear
24-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Take it one step at a time, the whole package can be quite a steep learning curve, take it in baby steps, talk to the lea and find out what to do next, also try finding some local minders at toddler groups and talk to them about local work demand and any pitfalls you should be aware of.