PDA

View Full Version : 'Rats in my garden....what am i gonna do!!??'

candy cat
23-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi rats under our shed and next doors rockery....now I have only saw one weeks ago ....neighbour seen and killed 3 :0( so kind of both our problems......Don't use the garden in the winter as use local park so not an issue there....but I have a cat neighbour as a dog so trying to avoid poison plus told doesn't always work.....anyway using humane cages and then releasing in the country away from houses.....my worry is will environmental health close me down until clear.....I have told parents as children saw Roland on the lawn and it was huge.....parents told me as not in house then they are not concerned and to keep quiet.....any advice please x

Tazmin68
23-02-2013, 11:58 AM
As not in house I would not worry. Don't they say that we are usually within 3 metres of a rat in normal life anyway.

candy cat
23-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes thats what they say ...think we will keep quiet thanks :0)

angeldelight
23-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Why mention them

I think they are everywhere now ,horrible things

I have the urge to sing that song now though ha :laughing:Rat in my kitchen la la Or rat in my garden as in your case ha ha :laughing:

Angel xx

PixiePetal
23-02-2013, 12:11 PM
I live on a farm and know they are about - so does our terrier dog and she is great at getting rid of them :D No humane way here I am afraid. Any caught in traps are dispatched as quick as poss.

I saw one from the window a few weeks ago under my birdtable making the most of the free food!

There are probably more in a town due to same reason - free food :rolleyes: you don't usually see them though!

FussyElmo
23-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Why mention them

I have the urge to sing that song now though ha :laughing:Rat in my kitchen la la Or rat in my garden as in your case ha ha :laughing:

Angel xx

Im singing it too :thumbsup:

angeldelight
23-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Im singing it too :thumbsup:

:laughing:

Just cant help it can you ha

Angel xx

caz3007
23-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I saw a huge one in my garden some years go, no idea where it went or where it came from but only one row of houses away from miles of fields and next door has an aviary. I wouldnt worry as sure most of us have them in our gardens or very close to us

jillplum
23-02-2013, 05:32 PM
I wouldnt worry too much I m sure we all have them around us at some point. I have 2 cats who probably scare off some from my garden. If you start to see loads then have a word with the pest control department at the council. They will be able to help or advise you what to do.

chriss
23-02-2013, 05:46 PM
If its seems quite a few I wouldnt be very happy to be honest. And I imagine they breed like rabbits too :panic: Just keep an eye out n maybe go disturb them a bit so they go live somewhere else. Prob we r all surrounded by them...remember the loft scene in Ratatouille ....but like someone said, we dont see them..thankfully !!

loocyloo
23-02-2013, 06:09 PM
maybe give your local council a call ...

we discovered rats living our compost heap :panic: and so did neighbours ... we backed onto a railway line.

ratman came and said it was due to neighbours the other side of me having avaries. he put some traps down with poison and said they would go away to die! he put the traps away from where the children were and came back a couple of times to check/re-fill with poison.

rat man was great! he was also the mouse/flea and whatever else man :laughing:

cathtee
23-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Why mention them

Angel xx

that's exactly what came into my head when i read the post, there's a rat in me gardem what am i gonna do :laughing:

Winnie
23-02-2013, 07:37 PM
If they are under the shed buy some poison (not the one that's supposed to expand in rats stomach because it doesn't work) and drill a hole in the shed floor- sprinkle bait in hole and bobs your uncle.....
Or call council rat man.

blue bear
23-02-2013, 08:02 PM
we live near fields loads of rats around, think if i saw them in the garden id call the rat man out, better safe than sorry.

lynncjt
23-02-2013, 09:55 PM
My sister lives out in the country and they had problems with rats one year and used these traps Nooski (http://www.nooski.com/products.html) they seem very safe.

SammySplodger
23-02-2013, 11:38 PM
We had rats in the garden at our old house - my lovely neighbour used to feed the birds every day, so the rats were attracted by the bread and seeds she was putting out. Then they wondered under the hedge to ours to freak me out :-0

I stopped using the garden briefly while the council rat man got control of the situation. He poisoned them and had a word with my neighbour - who then got a proper rat-proof hanging feeder (she had been leaving huge handfuls of food on the ground). I gave the patio a good old scrub with disinfectant before using the garden again. They didn't come back. No food - no rats :-)

MessybutHappy
24-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Do they count as mini beasts?!!! I wouldn't fuss, they're everywhere just not always so bold as your Roland!