PDA

View Full Version : Continuity of care....

littleguy1
22-02-2013, 01:35 PM
....or not? Had a little boy back in 2011 when I first started minding and he had to leave at the end of the year because mum lost her job. Well they've rang (over a year later!) to ask if I can have him. They've put him in a nursery and really aren't happy with things that go on there so they're practically pleading with me to take him. Technically I don't have a space but I've got one on holiday so said I could take him whilst LO is away but could I take him as continuity of care? This LO has settled straight back in and is really happy here and I really think it would benefit his development to be with me (not blowing my own trumpet or anything ;))

Goatgirl
22-02-2013, 01:45 PM
HI,
If it was me, I would go for it, so long as it doesn't take you over max no's etc :thumbsup:

Tazmin68
22-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I would check with ofsted with regards to the length if the break as I think it might be too long to be classes as continuity. I had a contract stop for two weeks and I still checked to see if ok as had a new child start and would be going up to 4,under 5 years for 2 hours on a wednesday

AliceK
22-02-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure you could. I don't think it would be classed as continuity of care after a years leave.

xx

littleguy1
22-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Many thanks for your replies. I took your advice and rang Ofsted, they said its my call. Said as long as I demonstrate to inspector at time of inspection that I am meeting requirements then I can decide if its continuity of care or not

jillplum
22-02-2013, 05:45 PM
I think I would have difficulty proving continuity of care to an inspector after a year. What happens if the inspector doesnt agree?

emma04
22-02-2013, 05:52 PM
You said that you were looking after this old lo, whilst another was on holiday? If this is the case then in my opinion the continuity of care would be because of this and you could forget about having him a year ago. If Ofsted say its your call then go for it! I would!:thumbsup:

funemnx
22-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I would do it! :thumbsup:

bunyip
22-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Many thanks for your replies. I took your advice and rang Ofsted, they said its my call. Said as long as I demonstrate to inspector at time of inspection that I am meeting requirements then I can decide if its continuity of care or not

I'd be cautious about that sort of response from Ofsted. It's basically one of their telephone parrots saying "refer to regulations" and it doesn't mean an inspector is going to be happy come inspection time. :(

FussyElmo
23-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Ok I dont see how you can say its continuity of care after a year :panic:

MessybutHappy
23-02-2013, 08:26 AM
How long before you could have him with no issues at all? Are any of your current children thing to school in september for example? Or are there and days/sessions where the child spend some time with you with no doubt s, and do the rest at nursery until you can take them with no doubt?

KatieFS
23-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Personally i think ofsted are saying if you can meet the individual needs of the children in your care, with the numbers you have, then it's ok to go ahead. Can yiu manage the numbers you have on that / those day?? Why don't you give yourself a timescale discuss with parents and see how things go??
Continuity of care after a year I would say isn't relevant. A year in the life of a child (and an adult!) is a long time

littleguy1
23-02-2013, 08:39 AM
3 of the children (including him and my own ds) are all eligible for their free 15 hours of nursery in sept so I don't know whether I will lose them or what the parents plans are. I will probably use my sons 15 hrs on a mon and thurs when I am busiest then that will make it less hectic for me.

Goatgirl
23-02-2013, 08:57 AM

I would say it is - in the sense that the child and family have previously worked with childminder; have built up a trusted relationship with her etc. Plus as she is working with the child now.

I would surely consider that returning to a known carer where child and parents were happy (rather than moving on to an unknown new carer or staying at a nursery the parents are not happy with) should be encouraged as being in the best interests of the child... which is what the point is of the 'continuity of care' clause was originally created for.

Also, if it was still up to Ofsted to decide, even if Op hadn't had this child before, but was caring for lo now on a temp contract (as she is) whilst other mindee on hols, but then this childs parents asked to extend contract they would likely grant it as continuity of care anyway, (obviously supposing all needs are met, risk assessments done, space allowance is ok etc..) I was granted a 4 under 5 variation for a child who had been to me 2 afternoons a week for 2 weeks and 2 were babies at the time....

I think, as the person on the phone said, it is up to the childminder to interpret the guidelines and when inspection comes around or Ofsted visit for any reason, so long as all requirements are being met, children happy, all parents aware of numbers etc they will be fine with it. Just my opinion :)

bunyip
23-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Hmmm. Does continuity with a big break in the middle still equal continuity? :confused:

Tazmin68
23-02-2013, 06:54 PM
As your son is still part of of your numbers why not claim his 15 hours yourself especially as he remains in the ey bracket till september 14 or are you looking at him going elsewhere so that he gets used to not being with you all of the time especially as you cannot take on another child in the ey bracket until reception year.

littleguy1
24-02-2013, 10:58 AM
He is already at nursery because yes, I feel he is/will benefit from being away from me and he's settled there now so will continue to send him in sept