PDA

View Full Version : safe surface

SDC34cr
21-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi can anyone recommend safe surface for gardens. i am currently looking at redeveloping our garden and was thinking of a safe surface what is not slippery as currently our patio is very slippery and we cannot use it over the winter or when it is wet.

nipper
21-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Tiger turf...very expensive

MessybutHappy
22-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Rubber matting used by caravaners and campers. Has holes in so gras can still grow through, comes as big tiles so easy to put down when needed and lift when it isn't. I use on my patio for little ones, keeps them off the cold concrete!

lynncjt
22-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Rubber matting used by caravaners and campers. Has holes in so gras can still grow through, comes as big tiles so easy to put down when needed and lift when it isn't. I use on my patio for little ones, keeps them off the cold concrete!

This sounds interesting - where would I find it?

lisa1968
22-02-2013, 08:12 AM
I bought shredded tyre chippings to go on our swing area-it doesn't freeze,or hold water and is clean!
Got it off ebay about 3 years ago and it's brilliant-although i do spend a bit of time picking them up off the rest of the garden!

MessybutHappy
22-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Not of the top of my head!! I'll do a web search later and get back to you! It's kinda like the alphabet/number squares, but without the annoyingly ready to remove and loose buys, and each square is much much bigger.

lynncjt
22-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Not of the top of my head!! I'll do a web search later and get back to you! It's kinda like the alphabet/number squares, but without the annoyingly ready to remove and loose buys, and each square is much much bigger.
Thanks for that!

MessybutHappy
22-02-2013, 08:28 AM
If you search Amazon for interlocking rubber flooring for boating / camping you'll find loads. Avoid the branded stuff, I paid about ten pounds for mine.

Samcat
22-02-2013, 09:11 AM
I have a 3x4m piece of outdoor carpet laid over the block paving at the side of the house, but it can easily be rolled up and moved to the patio in the back garden if needed. I have a seesaw, small climbing frame and slide on it. It's a good protective surface. It's been down 3 months now and works well, the rain just goes straight through it. Ofsted liked it!

Parkland Outdoor Carpet Kent | Parkland Artificial Lawn Surrey | UK (http://www.expressgrass.com/parkland-outdoor-carpet.php)

It's £8.99 per metre plus £35 delivery, so for the amount I have, worked out to approximately £13 per metre.

MessybutHappy
22-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Oooh, liking that! Not much more expensive than my tiles either....oh dear, another saving fund!

jillplum
22-02-2013, 04:12 PM
The outdoor carpet looks really good. Do you have to wash or clean it?

Samcat
22-02-2013, 04:37 PM
The outdoor carpet looks really good. Do you have to wash or clean it?

Haven't had to yet. They recommend hosing it down or pressure washing it occasionally.
It's been rained on a lot and snowed on so far and still looks as good as when it went down.

mushpea
22-02-2013, 05:25 PM
we block paved all ours and now we can use it all year round and its so much easier to clean up after the dog and rabibits and its not slippery, we did look in ot having fake grass but it worked out quite expensive.

jillplum
23-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Haven't had to yet. They recommend hosing it down or pressure washing it occasionally.
It's been rained on a lot and snowed on so far and still looks as good as when it went down.

I really need to have a closer look at some outdoor carpet.

Tazmin68
23-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I have artificial turf in the garden and have 8 large interlocking tiles from elc. If you are an ncma member you get a discount and when I bought them they were in packs of 4 and had an offer or 3 for 2.

SDC34cr
23-02-2013, 07:20 PM
I have artificial turf in the garden and have 8 large interlocking tiles from elc. If you are an ncma member you get a discount and when I bought them they were in packs of 4 and had an offer or 3 for 2.

Hi where did you get the artificial turf from? As I am thinking of this.

Tazmin68
23-02-2013, 07:27 PM
I was really lucky as two years ago the old gov allowed us to access funding to improve environment for children so I had £1500 for artificial turf 3 fence panels by 4. It was a company called nomow. I spent another £150 on a wooden playhouse and another £600 on a laptop for older children. Previous the garden was slabbed over as very clay and wet so was always boggy. Now 2 1/2 years ago and still very happy.

jillplum
24-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Maybe the proposed new agencies will do this for all of the minders on their books:rolleyes: