PDA

View Full Version : When are two heads better than one??

Little Puddings
21-02-2013, 04:34 PM
When children attempt to solve problems, under what circumstances are two heads better than one??

I am just finishing an essay off answering the above question (nearly finished just trying to make sure it makes sense to everyone else). Though my answer has to cover theoretical perspectives covering cognitive learning and assiociated empirical research (not my own opinion).

I am interested to see what 'normal' people think :) I have already established what Piaget and Vygotsky think (I hope).

To me the answer is quiet clear but what do you all think?? When is two heads better than one??
This can be either adult/child or child/child.

Tunja
21-02-2013, 05:22 PM
When children attempt to solve problems, under what circumstances are two heads better than one??

I am just finishing an essay off answering the above question (nearly finished just trying to make sure it makes sense to everyone else). Though my answer has to cover theoretical perspectives covering cognitive learning and assiociated empirical research (not my own opinion).

I am interested to see what 'normal' people think :) I have already established what Piaget and Vygotsky think (I hope).

To me the answer is quiet clear but what do you all think?? When is two heads better than one??
This can be either adult/child or child/child.

How about when one is more knowledgeable and puts the problem into perspective. In effect scaffolding the other child. They also provide a peer to bounce ideas off.

Tunja

mama2three
21-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Not convinced Im normal people , but it helps to develop sharing information, listening, asking questions, summarising others’ ideas, paraphrasing , explaining. It takes the embarrasement out of the situation if a shy pupil is opening up to a peer rather than 'looking silly' in front of the group when sharing an idea or asking for clarification. ( I think!:blush:)

nipper
21-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Child/child - Yes agree with Tunja's comment about scaffolding, but on the other hand, it also provides opportunities for peer group 'teaching', with the more able/knowledgable pupil having the opportunity to impart knowledge. Also presenting information in a child friendly way, which a teacher might not be able to do.

Little Puddings
21-02-2013, 06:05 PM
I agree with all of you :)