PDA

View Full Version : wont play independantly

mushpea
21-02-2013, 11:43 AM
so this week I have got lots of loose parts and natural toys out along with people, animals and veichals and the ususal books, we also have the wooden train track out. the 2yrold (nearly 3yr) I have dose not know how to play independantly so this stuff was meant to inspire him , I thought if we had some unususal items he would at least show interest in them and we could go from there but it hasnt worked, he hasnt even picked them up or gone over to them, he has sat there for the last 30 mins with a toy person in his hand making it bounce up and down on the carpet, I wouldnt normaly leave him this long but wanted to see how long it would go on for, well apparently all day if I let it, I have now resorted to tv for 20 mins, If i play with him or another child does he can chat and intereact and try and join in but only if told how to play the game they are playing ie child A says 'put the man there,he's the bad guy and gonna beat mine up' ok bad example but if not instructed like that he dosent know how to play,,if I ask him what his person is doing he cant answer and just says person yet his speach is excellant for his age, he can follow instructions and do arts and crafts and loves drawing for a short time, we have tried drawing maps for the toys to follow but he dosent really get it,
so how do I encourage him to play indepenatnly

Maza
21-02-2013, 11:51 AM
What's he like with sand/water? Does he like pouring and scooping etc?

jillplum
21-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Does he copy or try to join in when other people play? Can you start playing by yourself and see what he does? Otherwise not much help Im afraid. I would expect a nearly 3 year old to play by himself at least some of the time. Keep offering various things for him to play with in between drawing etc.

mushpea
21-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Tried playing with him, he will only play if told what to do, tried playing my own games beside him to show him, ok with sand and water but no real effort is made there either, I'm stumped, mum says he plays ok at home but he also watches Spiderman DVDs over and over again

jillplum
21-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Have you got some spiderman toys? figures or stickers etc. I have a 28 month old who is obsessed with spidman too. He likes to have the spiderman figures and plays with them and some other little men etc.

tori4
21-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Ooh I saw some gr8 super hero sensory tubs on Pinterest -

Using that seat string n Spider-Man

And green jelly cubes and the hulk

Will try n find link I saved em for my DS who is superhero crazy

tori4
21-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Hopefully this will work

http://m.pinterest.com/pin/219691288044155350/

jillplum
21-02-2013, 01:45 PM
That sounds great. My lo would love that. So would the old ones I think. And me :D

sarah707
21-02-2013, 06:23 PM
How about a home visit to watch him playing there? It might give you some clues about what he does / how he plays etc.

:D

mushpea
22-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Well would you belive it, we played at a friends who had 2 minders aswell AND he played .beautifull by himself !, I'm wondering if lack of child company his own age and background noise is a factor as I only have a 1yrold when he's here and although I have the radio on its still a quiet calm atmosphere. Where as yesterday was more lively

chriss
22-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Are you thinking he has some learning difficulty that makes it a problem for him ?

mushpea
22-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Are you thinking he has some learning difficulty that makes it a problem for him ?

no because he can interact and play with other people and children he just dosent seem to have the imagination to play by himself, he watches a lot of tv at home and things like spiderman or power ranges which I really dont think are sutible for that age and hes not like other kids who would just play whilst is on he sits and actutualy watches the tv even when my OH is home and will put the footie scores on he sits and stares at that too!

i think he needs more time away from the tv so he has time to develop his own imagination. I am not paying out for spiderman toys as I dont see thats neccesary, if he had the imagination he could use one of the little people and pretend they are spiderman plus again I dont think its right for a 2yrold to be shooting webs at people or pretend fighting as he tries to do.