PDA

View Full Version : Update for non-Tweeties

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Just thought I'd post to say that the general news via the various Twitter feeds I'm on is that:

Ms Truss is ploughing on regardless ignoring all petitions, research, articles etc. She is seeking out pockets of support (like Northants) and apparently THAT email is one of many. Sadly it looks like there ARE some CMs in the country supporting her and helping her to set up pilots. It is not yet clear who they are.

Ms Truss never responds to any of the tweets or emails I send to her. She is still spouting out quotes from 'NO More Great Childcare'. She also has failed to post up the 'lots and lots' list she has consulted, following the Munsnet live chat (wonder why??????!).

She hasn't tweeted much herself - but many are tweeting their objections to/at her. I suspect she just ignores them and blocks the few who really bother her.

My next tack will be: when her 'supporters' are revealed I will try to tackle them instead.

25 Feb will be a big day - 2nd reading. I don't think there is any coincidence that it's the same day as the scheduled Northants meeting.

I still can't work out what her personal motivation is here - anyone else have any idea WHY there is such a rush to make so many catastrophic changes?

lisbet
21-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the update. I think her motivation is to make a name for herself by being 'dynamic' and saving the government money (at the expense of us 'plebs') and get promoted. :mad:

jillplum
21-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I think quite a lot of childminders have the idea that an agency will find them work and do the paperwork for them. They have only been told the 'good' points and have no idea what it could really mean for our sustainability. I soon put them straight but how many others are thinking the same thing?

catlyn
21-02-2013, 10:55 AM
thanks for the update sammy x x

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes jillplum I think she is finding pockets of new CMs who haven't got the full picture. So it's up to us to make them aware of all the 'unseen' negatives. I also really object to the lazy 'corner cutting' she is selling to new CMs.

Wonder where we will be this time next year?
:-(

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 11:06 AM
lisbet - yes I suspect you are right - it will be very satisfying to see it all come crashing down around her. Sadly though I think many of us may be bruised by falling debris....

jillplum
21-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Sammysplodger the cms I was talking to have been doing it for years! I think there is a massive lack of knowledge about the proposals. If I wasnt on here I dont think I would have heard much about it at all. Very worrying.

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 11:14 AM
On the upside : Sharon Hodgson MP just retweeted me - she's on the case! Hurrah!

wendywu
21-02-2013, 11:14 AM
It has not been very well thought out at all, there is no time to iron out all the fine details. I will wait for the first high profile incident that will befall a child because the agency did not vet and monitor its minders properly.

It WILL happen sadly. :mad:

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 11:31 AM
wendywu - what's the betting Liz Truss will be in another position by then... leaving a trail of destruction behind her :-(

Maria Pia
21-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I still can't work out what her personal motivation is here - anyone else have any idea WHY there is such a rush to make so many catastrophic changes?

It is still all about saving Ofsted money for individual inspections, all the rest (reducing childcare costs, increasing quality and training opps, etc.) is smoke and mirror to justify the changes.

I have read on another petition site that for existing CM it is optional to register with an agency, but for new CM will be compulsory... you can see where this is heading... feeling on the road to extinction...:-( I wrote to MPs, signed petitions... I think the only thing that may stop her is to get the press involved, maybe digging out something about her that would turn the public opinion against her and her party... has she got children? Are they or were they in private education? Maybe paid with tax payer money? After all we pay for her salary...

Memina
21-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Im reallt trying to keep a level head about all this but I'm seriously panicking!!! Im currently pregnant and have worked very hard to build my reputation home and business.

To me my business is my career and although im 25 weeks expecting im still doing my level 3 diploma

Im just so worried that I may not survive all the changes and will loose my business ans job that I truly adore!

loocyloo
21-02-2013, 01:19 PM
thank you so much.

i am concerned and very worried that she is just ignoring us all.

jillplum
21-02-2013, 01:35 PM
I am a single parent of three teens and childminding is my only source of income. If I lose business over this who is going to keep us all? The government? Ms Truss? I have 12 years till I get a pension. Can I hold on long enough for that?

SYLVIA
21-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Sammysplodger the cms I was talking to have been doing it for years! I think there is a massive lack of knowledge about the proposals. If I wasnt on here I dont think I would have heard much about it at all. Very worrying.

I don't think I would know much about it either if it wasn't for this forum. Some cm in a neighbouring borough thought it was just our area introducing agencies! But this is how Ms Truss will manage to get these changes through by not tell anybody until it's too late! Then they will all be moaning about how bad their jobs are etc etc. It is all so underhand it's worrying to think that people like her can have a say in the way the country works. And more so that nobody in government seems to want to make a stand either

jillplum
21-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I agree. I dont even know if our LEA know much about ti as nothing has been said!

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I contacted my LA today and they don't appear know any more than I already do... In fact I pointed them in the direction of several sources of info they were unaware of. They didn't even seem overly concerned about what might happen to their department (doh!...) But they did say there were no plans to run an agency.

I'm hoping I'll feel more positive next Monday after the 2nd reading - as so many of us have been making our MPs aware. Trying to stay positive.

sarah707
21-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Thank you for the update!!

I think we need to do a big MP mailing over the weekend so they all have our views fresh in their heads ready for the reading.

Letter writing ideas here guys! :cheerleader:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/campaigns-petitions/114247-email-write-letter-make-your-feelings-known.html

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Sarah - I'm doing my other (admin) job on Monday and wanted to tune into the 2nd reading, but have no idea what time it is - do you know?

loocyloo
21-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Sarah - I'm doing my other (admin) job on Monday and wanted to tune into the 2nd reading, but have no idea what time it is - do you know?

i think i've heard that it is at 3.30?

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 07:28 PM
That would be right - of course! school pickup time!!!! Have set BT Vision box to record channel 81.

mum24
21-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Most of the people I know seemed to think that childminders were making a mountain out of a molehill about these proposed changes, so, I copied, with her permission, the jokey post from Mammamia, to my mums and friends pretending it was my future business plan and asking them for comments and ideas. Not until the very end did I let on that I wasn't serious.
They were horrified.
They are now fully on board with us.
But from this thread it seems that we are being ignored and many, many people still don't know about this. I wouldn't if I didn't come on here.
Is there any way we could get a page in a daily paper, and pay for it between us - I would be more than happy to contribute - say with Sarahs mgc document and a letter so that we can get our message across. If we are being ignored we need to shout louder.
Or is that just not possible?
Or how do people go about getting those petitions with thousands of signatures and turn up at downing street with them? I am just so clueless about these things, but if other people can do it for causes they care about, surely we can?
I am willing to help if someone can tell me what to do.:panic:

SammySplodger
21-02-2013, 10:02 PM
I've had a funny old day tweeting and emailing back and forth and now feel far more positive than I did earlier on.

I'm trying to stay positive for the reading on Monday and sincerely hope that the MPs present will ask awkward questions and (hopefully) some will show their support.

My own MP Norman Baker (Lib Dem... there's a surprise), has ignored me and not replied. But Sharon Hodgson is supporting us.

Am trying not to worry too much in the meantime....

nipper
21-02-2013, 11:44 PM
I had this from my local team last week...

As you may have already read or heard the Government is planning to introduce some changes that may affect you, notably the introduction of Childminder Agencies. The Local Authority is awaiting more clarification and guidance about these agencies, and will inform you of any developments once we feel sufficiently informed to do so. As Ofsted Registered Childminders you will be able to remain as independent childminders in your own right and you should not worry about these changes in the first instance.

Should you wish to read about these changes please find the attached document ‘More Great Childcare’. If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

SammySplodger
22-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Wish my LA would send something similar out...
Have had no communication from them whatsoever. They referred me to NCMA local for more info today...

miffy
22-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I had this from my local team last week...

As you may have already read or heard the Government is planning to introduce some changes that may affect you, notably the introduction of Childminder Agencies. The Local Authority is awaiting more clarification and guidance about these agencies, and will inform you of any developments once we feel sufficiently informed to do so. As Ofsted Registered Childminders you will be able to remain as independent childminders in your own right and you should not worry about these changes in the first instance.

Should you wish to read about these changes please find the attached document ‘More Great Childcare’. If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

I don't think that's much help either - it implies there's nothing to worry about and nothing will change which is why some cm's won't do anything because they don't think it will affect them.

Then again haven't had anything from our LA at all
Miffy xx

loocyloo
22-02-2013, 08:16 AM
i haven't officially heard from my LA either.

i only know they are not happy with the idea from the people within LA that i have been talking to.

lisbet
22-02-2013, 11:23 AM
The last newsletter from our LA said that the childminding support team were now part of the early years team - so I think they've acted to save some good people's jobs. :thumbsup:

They also asked for comments about "More Great Childcare??" (their question marks ;)) and I'm going to submit my comments with links to all petitions etc once I've got my OU tutorial out of the way tomorrow.

SYLVIA
22-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I emailed my LA and asked if they were holding information meeting about the proposed changes and agencies. They replied that they had no more information than I had told them about but would tell us more when they know more.
Well that was helpful wasn't it!! I probably told them more than they had bothered to find out themselves