PDA

View Full Version : greedy parents!

pipandbaz
21-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Well not the first and not the last to ask.......parent asked me to lie to tax credits saying she's paying me a third more than she is! I've explained its fraud and I will not be a part of it. In her eyes she reckons it will not come back on me (which I know is untrue) and she will deal with it if they catch up. So damn cheeky of her, I've had a right running with her this morning, she's even leaving little one with me for extra hour every day so she can toddle off to the gym! I've explained if they cross reference with her workplace the hours she works that will not allow extra hours at gym - to no avail! Just needed to moan really, I'm sure you all understand ;-)

Dilly Daydream
21-02-2013, 10:03 AM
I had a parent ask if she could put her excess voucher money through my account and pay it back to her in cash. She got notice as a way of a reply!

This was the final nail in the coffin after a string of other issues but being asked to do something illegal was just too much for me.

Some parents are just terrors! Hope you are ok? X

Dilly Daydream
21-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I had a parent ask if she could put her excess voucher money through my account and pay it back to her in cash. She got notice as a way of a reply!

This was the final nail in the coffin after a string of other issues but being asked to do something illegal was just too much for me.

Some parents are just terrors! Hope you are ok? X

Should have said it was for a considerable amount of cash too not just a couple of quid - either way I knew it was wrong as she hasn't paid tax or national insurance on that money! Why should she be able to avoid paying when I still have to!

pipandbaz
21-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Dear me don't blame u for giving notice, I'm fine thank u for asking, I think this will remedy itself as I think she will give up work all together if she can't fiddle the system. Trouble is she doesn't like having her children so don't think she will cope at home with them - how sad :-(

jillplum
21-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I have been asked to pretend I charge more than I do for tax credits I just said no as it would mean me having to pay more tax as my income would seem to be higher.

migimoo
21-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Same here...it seems to be a much bigger problem than I thought.

Mum in question left owing me hundreds and had to fight to get it too!

wendywu
21-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Just say you will double check with the tax man what trouble you will get into if you do this for her. That should panic her :laughing:

vickylou
21-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I had a parent who had left and moved their child to as I believe a non-registered childminder closer to the nursery Lo was due to start at, rang me up the next month and asked if he could pay me in vouchers and I pay him back the cash, told him no, as everything going through my bank account has to go through the books (he knew this as he's a bank manager) anyway told him to pay his new childminder with the accrued vouchers, lots of ifs and buts followed, which confirmed he had gone to somebody unregistered!!!!

bunyip
21-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Personally I would call the HMRC fraud line and give notice under my 'dishonesty' clause.

I don't work for parents who steal - still less for ones who want me to conspire in their stealing. :angry:

Dilly Daydream
21-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I think parents forget we still have to tie up all our accounts for our tax purposes etc! It seems it is more common for parents to ask too which is awful. I thought my parent was a one off. Apparently not x

Dilly Daydream
21-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah and I took my instance to my insurers legal team. Was told as my parent had asked me to do something deemed illegal normal notice period didn't apply. I could refuse care with immediate effect. I did however go with my 4 week notice period but parent requested to end agreement early which more than suited me x

migimoo
21-02-2013, 11:47 AM
as I said to the mum in my post...."what's in it for me except the tax man thinking i've earnt more than I have???"

rickysmiths
21-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Under no circumstances would I be party to fraud. I would be giving notice and informing their employer, the voucher company and HMRC what they had asked me to do because it affects all of them. I would tell the parents that that was what I would be doing as well, my duty as a law abiding tax paying citizen.

In fact I would phone NCMA Legal and ask if under these circumstances I would be justified in giving immediate notice.

Ripeberry
21-02-2013, 12:23 PM
No wonder the country is in such a mess! Too many people fiddling the system. Maybe that's another reason to have agencies. Parents tax credits would go straight to the agency and the gov will be able to monitor it more efficiently?

bunyip
21-02-2013, 12:39 PM
No wonder the country is in such a mess! Too many people fiddling the system. Maybe that's another reason to have agencies. Parents tax credits would go straight to the agency and the gov will be able to monitor it more efficiently?

...unless of course the agency is registered in the Cayman Islands for its own tax avoidance purposes? :rolleyes:

blue bear
21-02-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd have said you really shouldn't have to,d me that because a ps a provider I have a duty to tell the tax man and the benefit fraud line that money is being claimed fraud entry against my number. I would report the fraud otherwise it makes you party to it.

jillplum
21-02-2013, 01:03 PM
as I said to the mum in my post...."what's in it for me except the tax man thinking i've earnt more than I have???"

Oh well I have had a parent offer to share the excess with me so might be better not to ask her that.:D

Dilly Daydream
21-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Under no circumstances would I be party to fraud. I would be giving notice and informing their employer, the voucher company and HMRC what they had asked me to do because it affects all of them. I would tell the parents that that was what I would be doing as well, my duty as a law abiding tax paying citizen.

In fact I would phone NCMA Legal and ask if under these circumstances I would be justified in giving immediate notice.

It was NCMA legal who told me if you were asked to do something deemed illegal then you were justified to cease care with immediate effect. The only problem with that was that you may have to prove the circumstances in which you terminated the contract if the parent kicks up a stink. My parent would have done so I said I wasn't going to be party to fraud but I would continue to care for the child until the notice period came to an end.

rickysmiths
21-02-2013, 02:13 PM
It was NCMA legal who told me if you were asked to do something deemed illegal then you were justified to cease care with immediate effect. The only problem with that was that you may have to prove the circumstances in which you terminated the contract if the parent kicks up a stink. My parent would have done so I said I wasn't going to be party to fraud but I would continue to care for the child until the notice period came to an end.

I think I would have written a letter terminating with the reason and I would have got the parents to sign it. If they refused to sign it I would have written again attaching the first letter explaining that on the advice of your solicitors and insurers you have no choice but to terminate care immediately.

jillplum
21-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I just said no I cant do that its fraud and left it at that. Never asked again.

pipandbaz
21-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Goodness me really didn't think this issue would be that common. Well I feel very reassured to know my reply to parent was indeed correct I feel much more confident that I'm not being a complete b**ch :-) not saying I would agree to it at all...just felt I was being a bit stern with her although obviously that's what was required. This job is so hard sometimes - wish I could just look after the children and exclude my contact with parents haha! No no I know that's not working in partnership ;-) thanks guys xxx

Chimps Childminding
21-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Goodness me really didn't think this issue would be that common. Well I feel very reassured to know my reply to parent was indeed correct I feel much more confident that I'm not being a complete b**ch :-) not saying I would agree to it at all...just felt I was being a bit stern with her although obviously that's what was required. This job is so hard sometimes - wish I could just look after the children and exclude my contact with parents haha! No no I know that's not working in partnership ;-) thanks guys xxx

Have to agree - the children are the easy part!!!! :rolleyes: