PDA

View Full Version : Collection and drop offs.

handeme
21-02-2013, 07:26 AM
I am sure this happens in a lot of minders houses but I want to try and stop this now.

It generally starts with one minded. A lot of my mindees arrive and leave around the same time so it can be a busy time. I will give you an example.
7.30 mindee 1 arrives, comes in no problem
7.35 second mindee arrives first minded starts to growl at other mindee run around bonkers and basically be extremely bad mannered. Then its the same old story, once one child starts they bounce off each other.

On pick up its the same, they can be busy doing a craft/activity in another room and it starts again. Its normally one particular minded then they all bounce off each other.

Yesterday one minded was collected, the particular minded came in started growling at everyone's doing things they know they have not allowed to do, generally start misbehaving.

I have tried to get them all settled around this time doing or enjoying things but as soon as the door goes that's it. If I was the parent picking up I wouldn't be impressed and above everything else it doesn't make me look very good and I can't do a proper hand over.

I do drop off and collections into the back of the house and children are generally in another room. Any ideas?

vals
21-02-2013, 07:37 AM
I have told the children the 'going home' rules. the majority of parents don't want to come in, they just want to pick up and go. So when a parent arrives I take the child to the door to meet them and get them ready. the other children know the rules are - no interfering with the child that is leaving, no running up and down, and stay with the activities they are doing. On the whole that works, only time its difficult is if a parent comes right in for a chat. I have learnt over the years to be more confident about dealing with any issues in front of parents, so I remind children that they are not behaving appropriately, and I carry on as I would normally, maybe giving them a short time out sitting near me.

handeme
21-02-2013, 07:50 AM
I do have collection and drop off rules but despite this in descends into mayhem. It starts with one particular mindee who automatically goes into I will break every rule mode as soon as the door is opened. Despite being told not to do and they must continue with what they are doing he just refuses to listen then obviously all the other children bounce off him. My mindees are between the ages of 2 and 5 x

jillplum
21-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I have had the same situation. You have to be firm and consistent. They do eventually get it lol

MessybutHappy
21-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Chaos here too! I tell parents that it's to be expected and try to divert the children while I do the handover, but often end up helping to put children in car and then having a chat on the pavement!!! I think sometimes it would help of parents could ignore their child until that child has calmed down...not gonna happen though, the parents are often as embarrassed by the behaviour as I am that it's happening, I try to make light of it...