PDA

View Full Version : Parents letting you down

chezzagriff
20-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I have had 2 arrangements with parents to come and see me and one of them text an hour before saying cant make it sorry and another one said she will let me know what time she will be coming and still sitting here waiting! After texting both to arrange suitable times and trying to ring, nothing! My husband didnt seem to be annoyed by this so thought I would come on here and share as Im sure a lot of you have experienced this before.

phoenix2010
20-02-2013, 11:41 AM
very annoying and have been there myself many times

you do get used to it and i now make potential parents fit into my schedule and never assume they will turn up

I think that they see several and once they found one that suits they cancel all the others , thats if they are even polite enough to let you know

I dont think they realise how much effort you put into preparing for a visit and also how nervous you can get

I dont stress about it anymore , but when i first started out and i was struggling to fill places it did get annoying

caz3007
20-02-2013, 11:41 AM
It happens lots and its so annoying as they dont realise how much you prepare for a visit both emotionally and physically

vickylou
20-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Yep had it too, spend the day before sorting paperwork tidying house then just don't show!! Had one parent once turned up 3 hours late, hadn't let me know just turned up late!! Couple if weeks ago had a parent who came signed a contract, all the time bad mouthing her present childminder, the next day rang and said wouldn't be needing me, stupid me didn't take deposit because she was starting the week after. Think i had a lucky escape with that one!! My motto is if they can't be bothered to turn up or let you know, then they are probably going to be the same once the child starts. I had a phone call few months ago on a Wednesday, parent wanted one Lo and 8yr old to start the next Monday. Arranged to come on the Thurs, no show, so I text her! Rang me apologetic hubby would come that evening, he came was happy, they can't back Sunday afternoon signed contracts, started next day, but even now she forgets to text me to tell me Lo isn't in nursery, I collect her at 3.15-6.00. Just last week didn't tell me they both kids were off ill!! Have to hassle her for payment every week!! They are a lovely family just absolutely hopeless!!!! So maybe them not turning up is a blessing!!

rickysmiths
20-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I would never just leave it that a parent would let me know what time they would drop in. It would mean I was tied to stay in and they might not come.

I have an A4 brochure that folds in 3.

If a parent wants to come and see me I make a first appointment outside minding hours. I do this for two reasons. One because I am on my own with other people's children and I don't like inviting complete strangers into my house in that situation. Secondly I don't feel I can pay the children in my care full attention if I have parents here and I can't pay them attention.

If they make an appointment I go and deliver the brochure which has my full address on it to the parents home I knock on the door and introduce myself. I have found since doing this I have had many less no shows because I have broken the ice by introducing myself. Most of my parents live in a small area around me so it isn't hard to do and of course you put the mileage in your expenses.

I have always thought it very rude when a parents does not come to see me or let me know if they can't when they have set an appointment time. I will never take them on as a client if they do that to me.

chezzagriff
20-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I dont have any children on the days I asked them to come round as I too feel it is easier that way. The parent who was meant to be getting back to me about what times best I told her what day and between what time was best for me but had no reply, as for the other parent I can only assume they found someone who they liked. Suppose when they cant be bothered to be on time or keep you informed its best to move on as the payments will be probably be the same! Its very frustrating though! Im thinking about doing some sort of leaflet as I did have one parent come and when she saw the policy and procedure file she asked why I had written ones for a missing child and an uncollected child. I explained how it was a requirement by OFSTED and also to be sure that in the extremely unlikely event I had a clear knowledge of what to do but this seemed to send her running.

CLL
20-02-2013, 12:43 PM
I am sitting here waiting for my first parent to arrive between 1-2 and came on here because I am getting nervous now. I hope all goes well and I feel prepared but I am still panicking. I have only been registered a few weeks but just want to get going now. Hope your parents show up (and mine).
Michelle

chezzagriff
20-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi good luck, Ive only be registered 2 weeks. Had my 1st parent yesterday but as you read dont think she will be back.ha ha. I was nervous but after getting messed about so early on in starting this I think I have learnt quickly! Hope your experience is better :thumbsup:

bunyip
20-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Logic suggests that if they muck you about over the timing of pre-contract interviews, you can probably expect the same of them once you're caring for the child. Unless you get a decent reason, apology and a fixed re-scheduling, then put it down as a lucky escape and move on. :thumbsup:

chezzagriff
20-02-2013, 03:00 PM
haha thanks bunyip. Think Im just desperate to get someone in soon but Im not going to go down that road anymore, Im going to the local network meeting on Friday so will pass my number about some more :D

jillplum
20-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I dont really prepare for parent visits now. I used to spend ages getting house and paperwork etc ready then no one came. Now they have to take me as they find me lol

phoenix2010
20-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I dont really prepare for parent visits now. I used to spend ages getting house and paperwork etc ready then no one came. Now they have to take me as they find me lol

Totally agree and actually i think you come across as more relaxed that way too

I have found that once you get busy , you are more in demand because people can see you are popular

funny old game really !!

CLL
20-02-2013, 06:47 PM
My parent did turn up she has 2 children she needs looked after part time. Hopefully she will sign up she seemed happy enough. I have another meeting tomorrow, another part timer, hopefully she will sign up too. I thought there would more people wanting full time but it seems not.

chezzagriff
20-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I have a parent tomorrow now lets hope it goes well and she turns up lol

CLL
20-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Good luck to you. My second parent was supposed to call and confirm, get address etc this afternoon. Guess what no phone call. I am not going to chase her. Taking advice off others on here if they can not be bothered to call then they are probably not good clients. I will keep trying.

jillplum
21-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Over the years I think hours have changed. I used to have mostly full time children but now I have mostly part time. I think more Mums are working part time. I dont know if that is through choice or if there are less full time jobs available.

Hope you get some nice children signed up.