PDA

View Full Version : home improvments/building work

dusky777
20-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi

We will be starting work in the next week or 2 to change my exsiting dinning room and kitchen around so i have more of a dedicated space for childminding and my family can have space of there own when they come back from school/work as we currently only have 1 living room.

The 2 rooms are connected and i am going to keep the childminding in the living room at all time. We can access the garden from the front of the house and we are out at play groups etc most the time.My aunt is also a childminder so we will be spending time there.

Im having the gas/electric done on my day off friday and weekend/night so not to cause to much trouble but there will be others ie plasterers, kitchen fitter around at other times.

Do i need to inform ofsted of the work i will be doing?

Also i need to do a news letter but struggling how to word it if anyone has any advise?

Thanks in advance

mum24
20-02-2013, 10:05 AM
You will need to inform Ofsted of the work being done, and do risk assessments if the work is being carried out or unfinished while the minded children are attending. I would also have the builders sign in and out. Also make sure that they understand that they need to be aware of risk themselves, and for example, not leave doors, garden gates etc open, or leave tools lying around. And also that they cannot sneak into the garden for a smoke...they will need to leave your setting or go to the designated place, if they want to smoke.
Mention in the risk assessment how you are keeping the children separate eg in the living room or out at aunts, and put that in parents letter too.
Keep your letter to parents short and to the point along the lines of improving the setting, and assuring them that you have risk assessed and that their children will be kept safe at all times.
I am not very good at letter writing, but something along the lines of

Dear ...

I am having work done to increase the space available in my setting. Much of this work will be done over the weekend, but it will mean that for xx days I will have plasterers etc on the premises to complete the work. I have risk assessments in place and have informed Ofsted, and the builders are aware too of safety issues.
xxx (childs name), will be kept safe at all times, by being with me in the living room and at other times out in another setting. At no time will anyone be left alone with xxxx.
Please bear with me while this work is being done.
If you have any worries or concerns, please do talk to me about these.

I hope that helps.

dusky777
20-02-2013, 10:11 AM
You will need to inform Ofsted of the work being done, and do risk assessments if the work is being carried out or unfinished while the minded children are attending. I would also have the builders sign in and out. Also make sure that they understand that they need to be aware of risk themselves, and for example, not leave doors, garden gates etc open, or leave tools lying around. And also that they cannot sneak into the garden for a smoke...they will need to leave your setting or go to the designated place, if they want to smoke.
Mention in the risk assessment how you are keeping the children separate eg in the living room or out at aunts, and put that in parents letter too.
Keep your letter to parents short and to the point along the lines of improving the setting, and assuring them that you have risk assessed and that their children will be kept safe at all times.
I am not very good at letter writing, but something along the lines of

Dear ...

I am having work done to increase the space available in my setting. Much of this work will be done over the weekend, but it will mean that for xx days I will have plasterers etc on the premises to complete the work. I have risk assessments in place and have informed Ofsted, and the builders are aware too of safety issues.
xxx (childs name), will be kept safe at all times, by being with me in the living room and at other times out in another setting. At no time will anyone be left alone with xxxx.
Please bear with me while this work is being done.
If you have any worries or concerns, please do talk to me about these.

I hope that helps.

Thanks this is great, not very good at wording things. Your a star thank you x