PDA

View Full Version : Variations

SDC34cr
19-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi i work with an assistant and we can each have 3 under 5's. I offer very flexible childcare and only charge for when children attend. I have many children on my books, one attends every day and then i have some that come two days a week and others that come for just one day. I also have children whose parents work shift patterns and other children that attend now and again. I am now getting fairly full on some days with permenant children and wondered where i stand with variations. As these children are exsisting children does this mean that i am ok to have 7 under 5's on some days. Also as there are two of us can we both have a variation bringing us up to 8 under 5's.
I always risk assess and consider the other children before agreeing to have the flexible children to ensure i have the right balance and can cope with them. i.e. i have a difficult one year old some days so i will only then have 2 or 3 year olds that i know i can manage with him.
Some days booked in children do not come and then we only end up with 5 or sometimes 3 children, (funded twos who are a bit unreliable sometimes) I dont want to say yes to others and then have everyone turn up and be over! Sometimes it would only be for an overlap at lunch.
Any help on this would be appriciated. Thanks.:o

bunyip
20-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi i work with an assistant and we can each have 3 under 5's. I offer very flexible childcare and only charge for when children attend. I have many children on my books, one attends every day and then i have some that come two days a week and others that come for just one day. I also have children whose parents work shift patterns and other children that attend now and again. I am now getting fairly full on some days with permenant children and wondered where i stand with variations. As these children are exsisting children does this mean that i am ok to have 7 under 5's on some days. Also as there are two of us can we both have a variation bringing us up to 8 under 5's.
I always risk assess and consider the other children before agreeing to have the flexible children to ensure i have the right balance and can cope with them. i.e. i have a difficult one year old some days so i will only then have 2 or 3 year olds that i know i can manage with him.
Some days booked in children do not come and then we only end up with 5 or sometimes 3 children, (funded twos who are a bit unreliable sometimes) I dont want to say yes to others and then have everyone turn up and be over! Sometimes it would only be for an overlap at lunch.
Any help on this would be appriciated. Thanks.:o

Hi :)

As well as the EYFS regulations, you need to download and check the Ofsted factsheet relating to numbers: Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - The numbers and ages of children that providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers may care for (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-numbers-and-ages-of-children-providers-early-years-and-childcare-registers-may-c)
Even that is not as clear as it might be: an incomplete clarification of a badly-drafted set of regulations. The 2 most important points appear to be:-

continuity of care (usually for the sibling of a lo already cared for) rather than for 'new business'
exceptional circumstances. Ofsted do not define this at all well, but it appears to relate to it being a short-term arrangement over a limited period of time. It remains to be seen how consistent (if at all) individual inspectors will be on this point.

There are other factors which you should pick up from the document too (eg. resources, permission, risk assessment, space requirements, etc. etc.)

Just remember that the more you increase, the more parents you get involved and sooner or later one of them may object to your ever-rising numbers. Some like the idea of their lo having more children to interact with; others specifically choose a CM rather than a nursery because the numbers are so low. You mustn't discriminate or exclude a family who decline consent for you increasing your numbers.

Irrespective of any variations, remember that it is generally assumed that a CM will be working with 6 or fewer under 8yo's. Obviously this changes once the CM has an assistant. Bear in mind that some regulations (eg. space requirements) may limit your numbers when working with an assistant, and even more so in an assistant+variation situation.

Other things that need to be checked when you go over 6 under-8's (for any reason) include:-

Public liability insurance
Household insurance
Need for planning permission

They may be other considerations I've not thought of. Hopefully another member in a similar situation will advise.

hectors house
20-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Also to bear in mind is your house building and contents insurance - I am with Aviva for both and they have said that I can't have any more than 8 children under 12 (I think was the age) but I'm sure that Morton Michel insure me for public liability for more than that - not that I need it - but remember Aviva telling me, so you may need to check out your insurance companies.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-02-2013, 03:17 PM
As this is a bit different to the norm I would contact Ofsted. I know what the EYFS states about continuity but the casual contracts have allowed you to go over rather than parents needing it changed

I am sure it will all be okay but better safe than sorry I say

kerry1
20-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Hello,

Myself and my assistant is in the same situation really so be interesting to know what ofsted say please.....

Good luck