PDA

View Full Version : Food wwyd

JCrakers
19-02-2013, 12:43 PM
I've got a new mindee 6m whose been here 2 weeks. For the first week I asked mum to provide food so I could see what he was eating etc. she sent jars as this is what he had.

I said I would prepare food for him starting yesterday so I spend Sunday tea time preparing lots of food. Cauli cheese, chicken dinner, cheesy veg, sweet pot, squash and pear.

Tried him yesterday on chicken dinner...wouldn't eat it. Tried him today on cauli cheese, won't eat it

So, do I stick with it or just tell mum to bring jars? I think he's got a taste for jars :(

I don't want to keep wasting food but don't want to provide jars as its not what I do...I cook meals

What would you do ?

lisbet
19-02-2013, 12:56 PM
If it was me I would think that as he's only 6mths then he'll still be getting most of his nutrition from his milk, so I'd stick with offering home prepared food and then even if he takes a while to get used to it and eat much of it, he is getting introduced to new tastes/ textures. Or you could compromise and offer a small portion and then a small portion of jar food? Or jar food along with finger food? What you made him sounds lovely! :)

QualityCare
19-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Poor little lad 6mts old and so many changes he started with you accepted you feeding him food he knew then all of a sudden his food totally changes, no warning or gradual introduction just total change of texture and taste, whilst l appreciate you want to do what you think is best and provide healthy meals it was a bit sudden, if mum is willing l would persevere, are you puréeing it to the same texture as the jars and then gradually introduce a firmer texture, or mix a bit of your prepared meal with a similar one from a jar, at 6 mths he shouldn't be needing much of a dinner at this age l usually give a breakfast mid morning assuming baby had a full bottle on waking, a full bottle at lunch time and a small meal late afternoon, with a bedtime bottle.

JCrakers
19-02-2013, 01:36 PM
He has breakfast here at 9am

Bottle at 1030
Lunch at 1ish
Bottle at 330/4pm
Tea at home

I was just trying my best as jars are ok but I don't feel right just shoving a jar down him every mealtime

JCrakers
19-02-2013, 01:39 PM
He has breakfast here at 9am

Bottle at 1030
Lunch at 1ish
Bottle at 330/4pm
Tea at home

I was just trying my best as jars are ok but I don't feel right just shoving a jar down him every mealtime

Plus I've never had a little one so small except for my own two so was asking for advice. The youngest I've had is 8m so well established in weaning

nipper
19-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I used to freeze my own veggie purees into ice cubes, to eliminate any waste. I would only start off with one or two icecubes, because at this age it's all about experiencing different tastes as opposed to filling them up with food, since they get most nutrients from their milk still.

chezzagriff
19-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I do that too with the ice cube trays. I do it with bottles though, give half the bottle to take away the initial hunger, then the food then finish the bottle, once they eat a full ice cube I do two and after that do set meal times then.

JCrakers
19-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Yes, I've done this :) only a small portion just to taste. But he wasnt keen and then when I offered a jar he ate it...lol

I might try mixing it. I do think the jars have a different taste/smell to homemade food. It was puréed to the same consistency so it wasnt stodgy or lumpy. I tried lunch yesterday and tea, lunch today but he hated all three but would hen go for a jar.

And I must add he's nearly 7m and been eating foods for about 7/8weeks.

jackie 7
19-02-2013, 04:16 PM
I only provide food for Los that eat the same as others just purée it. I expect parents to provide food until weaned onto normal food. Cuts out risk of allergic reaction.

hectors house
19-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't know why a baby would prefer a jar of baby food to your lovely roast chicken dinner - whenever I have tasted baby food from a jar (to check temperature) they taste foul, but that is obviously what he has got used to - I would do as others have suggested try mixing the 2 meals together - sometimes I have "tricked" quite young babies into thinking they are having fromage frais by putting their dinner in a clean empty pot - they make funny faces but eat it anyway as they recognise the pots!

lisbet
19-02-2013, 04:29 PM
sometimes I have "tricked" quite young babies into thinking they are having fromage frais by putting their dinner in a clean empty pot - they make funny faces but eat it anyway as they recognise the pots!

Genius! :laughing:

RuthJ
19-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Mixing 'real' food with a jar is a good idea. I would persevere as he probably will get used to the taste in time. Would mum consider giving him homemade food when he's not with you to get him used to it? I think jars taste totally different - they are really bland in my opinion.

TNT
19-02-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't know why a baby would prefer a jar of baby food to your lovely roast chicken dinner - whenever I have tasted baby food from a jar (to check temperature) they taste foul, but that is obviously what he has got used to - I would do as others have suggested try mixing the 2 meals together - sometimes I have "tricked" quite young babies into thinking they are having fromage frais by putting their dinner in a clean empty pot - they make funny faces but eat it anyway as they recognise the pots!

I have done this too. :p

Have you tried very simple sweet purees like apple, mashed banana or sweet potato. Might be a way of getting him to try something different but without the complex flavours.