PDA

View Full Version : Comforter getting in the way

MessybutHappy
18-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi
I have a 25 month old who constantly hangs onto their comforter. I find it gets in the way of soo much, the child doesn't do two handed activities for example.
I know we're supposed to respect comforters, and I have spoken with the child's parents and they don't seem much fussed...

Should I go with the flow, or try to separate, and if the "separate" option - how?! Never had a child so attached to one this late before...

Thank you!

hectors house
18-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I would try to have times without the comforter - I have a 14 month old who when he started 3 months ago was addicted to a muslin cloth but I have managed to cut back now so he only has the cloth when in bed. I rarely take comfort objects out with us as always worried we will lose them - with the exception of a dummy but luckily not many children I look after have them.

dette
18-02-2013, 08:56 PM
i have a LO who has a comforter ..he used to have it all the time but now its just bed time.I bought a similar one for using at my house as ,like yourself,i was scared of loosing it.he isnt as attatched to it but will still snuggle it at nap time

sarah707
18-02-2013, 09:49 PM
We take it very slowly at the child's pace - comforter on sofa where it can be grabbed... on side where it can be requested... in bag for sleep time.

It can take months to build the confidence for a very attached child to leave their precious comforter and we do try and work with parents.

Hth :D

MessybutHappy
18-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Thank you everyone, I've been trying, very gently, and with your positive stories will stick with it!!!

samd35
19-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Hi
I have a child who has a teddy as his comforter.He is now 3. Teddy would be with the him at all times, but as he began to play it became a nuisance and caused lots of problems with other children. This is because if he put it down to play and another child went anywhere near it he would lash out. We began very slowly to put Teddy to sleep (this would be on the sofa or high up on a shelf) , he now only has Teddy at sleep time. This has taken a very long time and he now comes in with Teddy and puts him to sleep himself, Teddy doesn't come out with us now either. Working with the parents was sometimes hard work because although I know they did try and do the same at home , I also know that for an easy life he had teddy more than here.
It takes time but it will become easier.

Sam x

MessybutHappy
19-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Ooh, thank you, I could use something like that, thank you! Wish it was a teddy, but I know I could make a special safe place...