PDA

View Full Version : Children sleeping upstairs

mrstom
18-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Afternoon all,

I'm shortly going to start using one of our upstairs bedrooms to set up a travel cot for nap time and I'm in the process of RA-ing and have come to the evacuation conundrum.

Can I ask those of you who use upstairs for minding how you plan to get the children out if there is a fire at nap time (one child is upstairs, two downstairs).

Thanks x

Minstrel
18-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Well it will depend on the layut of your house but this is what I plan to do.

Shut the children I have with me in the hall downstairs (small square with access to sitting room, dining room, stairs and front door all in a 1.5mx1.5m) and run up to get the sleeper. Then all out the front door. Of course this is all dependant on where the fire is and you can't plan for every eventuality. We all practice this anyway and have various deviants such as if an older child is here i would send them out with little ones to the garden whilst i went up.

mrstom
18-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I have a long hallway with doors off to kitchen, dining room and lounge and the stairs go off up from the hall. I could do something similar...

Oldest child I'd have (at the moment) is my 5 year old, my 4 year old and two littler ones so we'd all have to go out together.