PDA

View Full Version : Mouthing everything

Porridge
18-02-2013, 10:13 AM
I know I'm a childminder, and I honestly do extpect a certain amount of 'mouthing' from the babies, but I have one 18mo who constantly has something in his mouth, and the constant slobbering on everything is starting to annoy me (only a little, but still!!) Lo has a dummy, although the first thing Mum said was 'only when he needs it'. He arrives with it in most mornings, and as he comes in, mum takes it from his mouth and puts it in his bag. Then, when she picks him up, she straight away gives him dummy! I only generally give him the dummy at sleep times or when sad (I do tend to forget about it to be honest). But, all the time he doesn't have the dummy he has something else in his mouth. Usually a toy, (there are a couple he always seeks out) but generally anything - absolutely whatever he can get his hands on. He potters around quite content with one of the toys in his mouth, dribbling and drooling like a good 'un. Not sure why it's annoying me so much, but basically anything the other lo's drop, he has in his mouth - I just took my sons toothbrush out of his mouth (yuk!) (I wish I could educate my kids not to leave their stuff hanging around - one puts something down, another moves it right to where the babies are). We've had a run of nasty coughs colds and viruses, my son was recently seriously ill, and I am always very conscious of the risks of cross infection. It just seems an impossible task.
Child is absolutely wonderful - and is a right chaterbox at certain times through the day (no words, but lots of music and babbling). Lovely family too.
How do you all deal with this? Do I just need to get over it? Or is there something I can do...

QualityCare
18-02-2013, 10:29 AM
A lot of mum say little one has a dummy "but only when needed" and they have it in constantly at home, this one is probably the same hence the constantly needing something in his mouth. I think you need to have eyes like a hawk and as soon as you see him going to put something in his mouth a quick removal and a firm "no not in your mouth" He will eventually get the message and stop, children who have had a dummy do dribble more when they don't have it as they havn't learnt to swallow without a dummy in.

Koala
18-02-2013, 10:38 AM
OMG - I have the same with parents, taking the dummy from kids as soon as they get here and as soon as they pick them up sticking it back in - i've seen them, they must think i'm stupid. And then they have the cheek to say they don't have it much!! Why lie? sometimes though I don't think parents are aware of what they do.

And then we wander why they have something and everything in their mouth, yes I know mouthing is an exploratory development but i'm talking about using things as dummy substitutes which it sounds like your lo is. This just gets drool everywhere like you say, toys, furniture and worst of all all over me, spreading lurgy and stuff.

At times it has got so bad and obviously lo needs dummy, I find it is a lot worse when their teeth are making a move, although I don't particularly like dummies, I do what is best for everyone and give lo a dummy let him have his chew, it can sooth sore gums and keeps the drool in.

LittleLegsCM
18-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I care for a 28 month old and she is also a nightmare for putting EVERYTHING she picks up, in her mouth!! It's so frustrating because I feel like I'm constantly saying 'take it out .......' 'Out your mouth ........' 'Not in your mouth ........' She quite clearly knows she shouldn't as she immediately takes it out when told but the second she thinks I'm not looking she puts it back again! She's been here a year next month but unfortunately not much improvement apart from the fact mum doesn't even bother bringing her dummy here anymore as she knew I took it away 99.9% of the time! Lol. Although I believe she still has it quite a bit at home.

Tinkerbell1979
18-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I don't think it had anything g to do with dummies! I look after a 17 month old and he's never had a dummy in his life and is just the sane, very annoying. My daughter had ad still has a dummy and never out things in her mouth ?!

I'm going down the firm no, not in your mouth route and if he continues after I've said it 4 times in a row I remove the toy.

smurfette
18-02-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a 3 year old like this! Think mum has limited the dummy at home now tho she only had it at sleep time here, and that combined with threatening time out if she keeps ignoring me seem to be improving it. She was 3 in October so plenty old enough to know but I think it's subconscious but like u say I worry about the drool everywhere and the cross infection!

jackie 7
18-02-2013, 08:16 PM
and I thought I was the only one with this. Parent arrived last monday, we are fed up with him putting everey thing into his mouth now we are really telling him it is not allowed. Can't really use their words! At the weekend he had gone into boots with Mum and picked up a cup from the stand and started to drink from it. a week later of nothing in your mouth and I think we might be making progress. good luck

nipper
18-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Ok, imagine a soggy,wet muslin cloth. Mindee aged12 months sleeps with it in mouth. Mum gives it all the time, but not here so mindee put things in mouth all the time...yuk!

RuthJ
18-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I care for a 28 month old and she is also a nightmare for putting EVERYTHING she picks up, in her mouth!! It's so frustrating because I feel like I'm constantly saying 'take it out .......' 'Out your mouth ........' 'Not in your mouth ........' She quite clearly knows she shouldn't as she immediately takes it out when told but the second she thinks I'm not looking she puts it back again! She's been here a year next month but unfortunately not much improvement apart from the fact mum doesn't even bother bringing her dummy here anymore as she knew I took it away 99.9% of the time! Lol. Although I believe she still has it quite a bit at home.

This made me laugh. I feel like I spend most days saying " finger out.....", "stop picking", "yuck, no nose picking!" :laughing:

Hubby was actually heaving this morning when he caught 3 yo wiping his snot covered finger all over our sofa. Gross:(

jo.jo76
18-02-2013, 10:56 PM
I was discussing this today with my DH, as he is off work this week and today being the first day! LO is 14mths and puts everything in her mouth and constantly dribbles. No dummy ever but does suck thumb when going to sleep and waking up. After lots of "not in your mouth" and putting things in the kitchen for washing, DH says "shall I just put the lounge in the sink!" lol