PDA

View Full Version : Medication form for calpol?

berkschick
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Off to a good start! Just had to give new mindee calpol as she has a cold. Parents put it in her bag and asked me to give it to her mid afternoon if I felt she needed it, which I did so I have given it to her. Parents have both signed permission forms for me to give her the medicine but do I need to fill in a medicine form for them to sign? I have the NCMA accident, incident and medication book thing but it looks very confusing and looks like it is for more long term medication not just the odd dose of calpol.

Other than above the day so far has been great fun!

Thanks in advance!

Love

Debbie

carolinel
03-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I have had to give Nurofen for children today.I have entered it in the accident/incident book. There is a section in the ncma book for short term medication.

miffy
03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Should be entered in section 3 of the ncma book and get parents to sign when they collect the child

miffy xx

Trouble
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
i agree with miffy, you have to cover yourself

Tily Bud
03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
I totally agree you need to cover yourself !!

Caroline was the nurofen gp prescribed ? because as a childminder we are not allowed to give ibuprofen unless its gp prescribed for the condition the child is currently suffering x
Ref : Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings 2005
pg9.36. A child under 16 should never be given aspirin or medicines containing ibuprofen unless prescribed by a doctor.;)

Cheryl x

Rubybubbles
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't give any meds unless prescribed! I know that teething ect may required it really if the child is unwell enough my meds like calpol what would happen if it turned out to be something else? But that's just me covering my own back

The NCMA insurance are happy as long as everything is written down and signed for

fionamal
03-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I dont give kids anything unless its prescribed medicine for them.

If they are that unwell and need calpol etc then they should be at home with parents.

berkschick
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. I filled in the form in section 3 of the NCMA book thingy and got Dad to sign it when he collected!

Love

Debbie

carolinel
03-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I totally agree you need to cover yourself !!

Caroline was the nurofen gp prescribed ? because as a childminder we are not allowed to give ibuprofen unless its gp prescribed for the condition the child is currently suffering x
Ref : Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings 2005
pg9.36. A child under 16 should never be given aspirin or medicines containing ibuprofen unless prescribed by a doctor.;)
Cheryl x

oops, didn't know that. It wasn't prescribed. Does it make a difference that it was "nurofen for children"

Ref the above i've highlighted in red - why can you buy it over the counter made specifically for children?

Thanks for advice. x

LittleMissSparkles
03-01-2008, 08:43 PM
i wont give anything to a child without written permission first xxx

Tily Bud
03-01-2008, 09:04 PM
im not 100% sure Caroline :rolleyes:

the only thing i can think of is ( and this comes from my previous training and job as a pharmacy technitian ) that ibuprofen has a similar mode of action to aspirin. Aspirin has been known to cause Reyes syndrome in children that is why you cant give children aspirin anymore x Apart from that im not sure x

Sorry i cant help any further x

Cheryl x

carolinel
03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
thanks Cheryl!

ajs
03-01-2008, 11:53 PM
a word of advice when administering any medicine
always note the lot number and the best before date on your permission slip so if the parent gives the child any that has gone off or gone past it's date you can prove that it wasn't you who administered the medicine.
and note the lot number as if there is a problem with the batch the manufacturers can trace the medicine right back to the makers and also protecting your self in case of problems

Sarsar3NCH
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
My parents prefer 'ibuprofen for children' to Calpol as they say it works better. I have permission for both.

Should I not give the ibuprofen medicine then?

Tily Bud
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
From what i understand no we cant give ibuprofen x

See my thread earlier x

Cheryl x

Tily Bud
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
sorry i meant post not thread x

emmadines
16-01-2008, 10:29 PM
we were told to get the parents to provide those calpols sachets and just put their name and details on. also to write up a permission slip for the parent to sign!

chez1373
16-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Im new to all this but i was under the impression we were not allowed to give ibuprofen,
Or even calpol if it hadnt been prescribed with the childs name and address etc?
I may be wrong but if im am or not can you letme know please,
A mum asked me to give her son calpol and didnt even provide the calpol? I didnt know what to do so i didnt give him any and said he didnt need it(he didnt)